Ford Forums banner

Polishing up Globes

5K views 20 replies 9 participants last post by  XA_GT_351 
#1 ·
I got my Globes today. Theyre looking good as far as dents scratches etc. are concerned. Nothing deep or requiring major work. No gutterscrapes. They have been spraypainted it seems on the front. A few questions however for experienced owners:

1. how should i clean them properly so they come up "showroom new". Were they spraypainted originally? out of factory?

2. They seem to have pitting, sort of a rough casting finish along the spokes, but not around the lip. From what ive seen in pics, this seems to be a trait of Bathurst Globes. Is there any way to polish out these cast marks and give the whole rim a smooth finish or will this ruin the look of them?

3. How do i keep that matte silver finish. I saw a pic of some globes that someone polished up and they looked as if they had been spraypainted with silver. How do i avoid this?

4. Someone reccommended beadblasting them....?

Also, two of the original bolts and i think a busher is missing. Are these bolts "Bathurst Globe" bolts or can i pick up another two somewhere easily?

Thanks

Daniel.

See less See more
#2 ·
XC Coupe 78 said:
I got my Globes today. Theyre looking good as far as dents scratches etc. are concerned. Nothing deep or requiring major work. No gutterscrapes. They have been spraypainted it seems on the front. A few questions however for experienced owners:

1. how should i clean them properly so they come up "showroom new". Were they spraypainted originally? out of factory?

2. They seem to have pitting, sort of a rough casting finish along the spokes, but not around the lip. From what ive seen in pics, this seems to be a trait of Bathurst Globes. Is there any way to polish out these cast marks and give the whole rim a smooth finish or will this ruin the look of them?

3. How do i keep that matte silver finish. I saw a pic of some globes that someone polished up and they looked as if they had been spraypainted with silver. How do i avoid this?

4. Someone reccommended beadblasting them....?

Also, two of the original bolts and i think a busher is missing. Are these bolts "Bathurst Globe" bolts or can i pick up another two somewhere easily?

Thanks

Daniel.
Get them polished then send them out and get the inner painted.Make sure when you get them painted they use the right primer.

#9 ·
XC Coupe 78 said:
where do you get that sandpaper from? is it a bastard sanding out the cast marks? and what did you paint them with?

Thanks a lot for that link.

Daniel
Dude, don't sand out the casting marks. its the way of the Globe.... Especially seeings you'res are a set of smooth rim originals...
I used autosol, bit of wet and dry on the machined surfaces (edges and rim) but only used mag wheel cleaner and autosol on the cast surfaces. they initially come up too shiny, but after a week or two, the centres dull off and just polish the lips/rim.
I stripped the paint off mine with Methyl chloride based paint stripper, but I've left them unpolished (I believe the original GTs/Cobras weren't painted?)

Ben

#11 ·
XC Coupe 78 said:
where do you get that sandpaper from? is it a bastard sanding out the cast marks? and what did you paint them with?

Thanks a lot for that link.

Daniel
Go to any auto paint supplier and they will have the sand paper and will have some 2pak in a aerosol can to spray on wheels so it does not flake with heat. I bought 1 can for all four wheels. To mask it up they have narrow tape that fits on the edge. of the unpainted area.

#12 ·
What ever you do DON'T sand the inside of the spoke's leave the cast area as they are this is the original look, I am at the moment cleaning my Globe's the centre hub area and the flat lip you can sand, I'm am starting with a corse paper getting down to fine and very fine wet and dry and they look AWSOME, I sugest that if they are painted in the spoke's you could sand/bead plast them and find a paint stripper but try it on the back of the rim 1st.

#13 ·
Steel wool and sugar soap will restore the rough cast alloy spokes very well, if the outer rim has any scrapes/scratches sand them smooth using sandpaper with mine i started with 120grit then worked my way up to 1500 grit then started polishing by hand with autosol, This is what they turned out like, i never painted them http://home.iprimus.com.au/stitch302/Pictures/globes2.jpg

#14 ·
ok, so only the lip and the centre hub or it ruins the look of em. Is that the edge of the centre hub, as ive noticed that is smooth, or actually IN the centre hub, where it is cast? I was thinking leave the inside of the spokes cast but sanding the flat edges of them...? does anybody have detailed photos of what an original globe looks like?

Daniel

#16 ·
The original globe's were only smooth on the flat lip area and the centre hub area including the flat face of the circle hub the spoke's were left as the cast surface, and they wern't polished they were left as the alloy/dull look.

#17 ·
so the flat face of the centre hub was polished? these Globes are off a Cobra and they retain the cast marks in the centre hub...

Basically, they are only smooth, or polished around the lip of the rim and the small 90 degree drop into the rim, and around the lip of the centre hub. all else is cast

#19 ·
XC Coupe 78 said:
so the flat face of the centre hub was polished? these Globes are off a Cobra and they retain the cast marks in the centre hub...

Basically, they are only smooth, or polished around the lip of the rim and the small 90 degree drop into the rim, and around the lip of the centre hub. all else is cast
Smooth not polished, they were never polished.

#21 ·
XC Coupe 78 said:
XA_GT_351, that rim looks great! I'm after mine to be a bit more matte in colour though. You sanded out all the cast marks?
The cast marks are still there, That picture was taken not long after they were polished, the spokes have dulled off, there not shiny anymore.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.