Polishing up Globes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
XC Coupe 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 29
Posts: 560
confused Polishing up Globes

I got my Globes today. Theyre looking good as far as dents scratches etc. are concerned. Nothing deep or requiring major work. No gutterscrapes. They have been spraypainted it seems on the front. A few questions however for experienced owners:

1. how should i clean them properly so they come up "showroom new". Were they spraypainted originally? out of factory?

2. They seem to have pitting, sort of a rough casting finish along the spokes, but not around the lip. From what ive seen in pics, this seems to be a trait of Bathurst Globes. Is there any way to polish out these cast marks and give the whole rim a smooth finish or will this ruin the look of them?

3. How do i keep that matte silver finish. I saw a pic of some globes that someone polished up and they looked as if they had been spraypainted with silver. How do i avoid this?

4. Someone reccommended beadblasting them....?

Also, two of the original bolts and i think a busher is missing. Are these bolts "Bathurst Globe" bolts or can i pick up another two somewhere easily?

Thanks

Daniel.

XC Coupe 78 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 02:52 AM
The SB Slayer
 
FPVGT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Should be polishing my GT's
Posts: 1,529
Re: Polishing up Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Coupe 78
I got my Globes today. Theyre looking good as far as dents scratches etc. are concerned. Nothing deep or requiring major work. No gutterscrapes. They have been spraypainted it seems on the front. A few questions however for experienced owners:

1. how should i clean them properly so they come up "showroom new". Were they spraypainted originally? out of factory?

2. They seem to have pitting, sort of a rough casting finish along the spokes, but not around the lip. From what ive seen in pics, this seems to be a trait of Bathurst Globes. Is there any way to polish out these cast marks and give the whole rim a smooth finish or will this ruin the look of them?

3. How do i keep that matte silver finish. I saw a pic of some globes that someone polished up and they looked as if they had been spraypainted with silver. How do i avoid this?

4. Someone reccommended beadblasting them....?

Also, two of the original bolts and i think a busher is missing. Are these bolts "Bathurst Globe" bolts or can i pick up another two somewhere easily?

Thanks

Daniel.
Get them polished then send them out and get the inner painted.Make sure when you get them painted they use the right primer.

THERE CAN ONLY BE ONE LEGEND THE GT is back

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 03:49 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
XC Coupe 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 29
Posts: 560
Re: Polishing up Globes

anybody with opinions at all....
XC Coupe 78 is offline  
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 03:50 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
XC Coupe 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 29
Posts: 560
Re: Polishing up Globes

anybody else with opinions at all....
XC Coupe 78 is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 03:51 AM
Mulberry Rain
 
blueraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Brisvegas
Age: 33
Posts: 1,229
Re: Polishing up Globes

There was a thread similar to this a while ago... I'll see if i can dig it up...
blueraven is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 03:53 AM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
XC Coupe 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 29
Posts: 560
Re: Polishing up Globes

cheers for that.
XC Coupe 78 is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 04:11 PM
Trust meeeee, It's Stock
 
XpCoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Melbourne
Age: 42
Posts: 165
Re: Polishing up Globes

Here is a thread of my polishing experince

Polishing Mag Wheels

Weekender: Xp Coupe, 302 Windors, C4, Lime green
Currently looking for an 9 inch disc rear end.

www.XSeriesFordClub.com
XpCoupe is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 06:42 PM Thread Starter
Registered User
 
XC Coupe 78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Adelaide
Age: 29
Posts: 560
Re: Polishing up Globes

where do you get that sandpaper from? is it a bastard sanding out the cast marks? and what did you paint them with?

Thanks a lot for that link.

Daniel
XC Coupe 78 is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 06:57 PM
Boost Is for Pussies
 
GammaBoy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Brizvegas
Age: 37
Posts: 835
Re: Polishing up Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Coupe 78
where do you get that sandpaper from? is it a bastard sanding out the cast marks? and what did you paint them with?

Thanks a lot for that link.

Daniel
Dude, don't sand out the casting marks. its the way of the Globe.... Especially seeings you'res are a set of smooth rim originals...
I used autosol, bit of wet and dry on the machined surfaces (edges and rim) but only used mag wheel cleaner and autosol on the cast surfaces. they initially come up too shiny, but after a week or two, the centres dull off and just polish the lips/rim.
I stripped the paint off mine with Methyl chloride based paint stripper, but I've left them unpolished (I believe the original GTs/Cobras weren't painted?)

Ben
GammaBoy is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 11-08-04, 07:55 PM
Mulberry Rain
 
blueraven's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Brisvegas
Age: 33
Posts: 1,229
Re: Polishing up Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpCoupe
Here is a thread of my polishing experince

Polishing Mag Wheels

Thanks, that was the thread I was trying to find :D
blueraven is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
light globes ford freak Interior | Electrical | ECU 33 01-01-09 02:38 AM
Bluelight globes EDclass Australian Falcons 2 09-08-04 01:18 AM
Globes which to get ? Swoosh Australian Falcons 8 08-31-04 04:00 AM
Bathurst Globes XA Fairmont Suspension | Wheels&Tires | Brakes 38 07-11-04 02:14 AM
Headlight globes keep blowing The Goodz Superchargers | Turbos | N2O 16 06-29-02 06:05 PM

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome