Polishing up Globes - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2004, 02:48   #1 (permalink)

confused Polishing up Globes

I got my Globes today. Theyre looking good as far as dents scratches etc. are concerned. Nothing deep or requiring major work. No gutterscrapes. They have been spraypainted it seems on the front. A few questions however for experienced owners:

1. how should i clean them properly so they come up "showroom new". Were they spraypainted originally? out of factory?

2. They seem to have pitting, sort of a rough casting finish along the spokes, but not around the lip. From what ive seen in pics, this seems to be a trait of Bathurst Globes. Is there any way to polish out these cast marks and give the whole rim a smooth finish or will this ruin the look of them?

3. How do i keep that matte silver finish. I saw a pic of some globes that someone polished up and they looked as if they had been spraypainted with silver. How do i avoid this?

4. Someone reccommended beadblasting them....?

Also, two of the original bolts and i think a busher is missing. Are these bolts "Bathurst Globe" bolts or can i pick up another two somewhere easily?

Thanks

Daniel.
XC Coupe 78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-08-2004, 02:52   #2 (permalink)
The SB Slayer

Re: Polishing up Globes

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Coupe 78
I got my Globes today. Theyre looking good as far as dents scratches etc. are concerned. Nothing deep or requiring major work. No gutterscrapes. They have been spraypainted it seems on the front. A few questions however for experienced owners:

1. how should i clean them properly so they come up "showroom new". Were they spraypainted originally? out of factory?

2. They seem to have pitting, sort of a rough casting finish along the spokes, but not around the lip. From what ive seen in pics, this seems to be a trait of Bathurst Globes. Is there any way to polish out these cast marks and give the whole rim a smooth finish or will this ruin the look of them?

3. How do i keep that matte silver finish. I saw a pic of some globes that someone polished up and they looked as if they had been spraypainted with silver. How do i avoid this?

4. Someone reccommended beadblasting them....?

Also, two of the original bolts and i think a busher is missing. Are these bolts "Bathurst Globe" bolts or can i pick up another two somewhere easily?

Thanks

Daniel.
Get them polished then send them out and get the inner painted.Make sure when you get them painted they use the right primer.

Introducing the Boss 290 powerplant
The Boss 290 combines the best of both worlds, with race-bred power and everyday comfort. The awe-inspiring Boss 290 is a powerplant unlike any ever built in this country and comes to life on Australia's only current V8 production line.
FPVGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:49   #3 (permalink)

anybody with opinions at all....
Old 11-08-2004, 03:50   #4 (permalink)

anybody else with opinions at all....
Old 11-08-2004, 03:51   #5 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

There was a thread similar to this a while ago... I'll see if i can dig it up...
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 03:53   #6 (permalink)

cheers for that.
Old 11-08-2004, 16:11   #7 (permalink)
Trust meeeee, It's Stock

Here is a thread of my polishing experince

Polishing Mag Wheels

www.XSeriesFordClub.com
XpCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 18:42   #8 (permalink)

where do you get that sandpaper from? is it a bastard sanding out the cast marks? and what did you paint them with?

Thanks a lot for that link.

Daniel
Old 11-08-2004, 18:57   #9 (permalink)
Boost Is for Pussies

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC Coupe 78
where do you get that sandpaper from? is it a bastard sanding out the cast marks? and what did you paint them with?

Thanks a lot for that link.

Daniel
Dude, don't sand out the casting marks. its the way of the Globe.... Especially seeings you'res are a set of smooth rim originals...
I used autosol, bit of wet and dry on the machined surfaces (edges and rim) but only used mag wheel cleaner and autosol on the cast surfaces. they initially come up too shiny, but after a week or two, the centres dull off and just polish the lips/rim.
I stripped the paint off mine with Methyl chloride based paint stripper, but I've left them unpolished (I believe the original GTs/Cobras weren't painted?)

Ben
GammaBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2004, 19:55   #10 (permalink)
Mulberry Rain

Quote:
Originally Posted by XpCoupe
Here is a thread of my polishing experince

Polishing Mag Wheels

Thanks, that was the thread I was trying to find :D
blueraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons