Ford Forums banner

poor boot finish on BA

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Kieron 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

The only bad thing that keeps cropping up in the BA reviews is the poor finish to the boot. Can anyone agree to this and why?

#10 ·
Hang on, are poeple talking about 2 differnt things here? I assumed that xeespghia, SM and 'Minge were talking about the boot LID finish and the Fairmont trim that you fit to the inside of the lid. And that everyone else is talking about the floor of the boot.

#11 ·
3 things I don't like about the BA boot,

no boot lid liner - my old EF XR6 had one

Floor isnt flat - the carpet is molded around the spare tyre, could have aleast put a flat board over the top, again like the EF.

Carpet is shoddily trimmed around the edges - looks like it was hacked with a blunt knife, EF again much better here.

Kieron

#12 ·
Things I like about the BA boot:

(1) I can put a carpet liner on the boot lid if I want to.

(2) The indent in the floor lets me put small objects in there without rolling around all over the place. No wasted space. Anything that could have gone in there when the boot was flat will still go in there.

(3) If I soil or waterlog my boot, and have to replace the carpet with a piece of similar-coloured cut-off, I don't have to worry about trimming the edges and it will still look OEM!

Lukeyson

#13 ·
It's just a boot to me, I dont visit it enough to worry about the look's, but I suppose for those that do, a neat look would be good every time you visit.but like other's have said an easy fix just visit your local dealer.

#14 ·
Sure its just a boot, but my point is the finish of the boot has dropped with the BA, I shouldn't have to go and buy a liner to bring it up to spec as an 8 year old model, you can't do anything about the floor shape as the carpet is molded and the rough trim of the carpet is purely build quality.

#15 ·
Good point.

It was a waste of time adding Control Blade IRS, Turbo charging and twin-camming the six, adding a new Quad Cam V8, throttle by wire, adjustable pedals and redesigning the interior.

They should have made the BOOT look better. Then perhaps they would have had good reviews.

I suppose that when everything else is so good, you have to go looking for faults in new places.

Shame on you Ford ;-)

Lukeyson

#16 ·
Thanks for saying its a good point. The rest of your post is irrelevent.

If you like, i'll point out other things on the BA XR6 that should be there (and EF XR6 had) - no LSD, no power hike over XT.

Not sure wether your directly wanting to attack me or not, but i'm only pointing out small things, not picking on a car I have just shelled out nearly $40K for,am extremely happy with and congratulate Ford Aus on producing such an excellent vehicle.

#17 ·
It is curious why they only have LSD and Traction Control in the XR Models. I remember someone saying that it has something to do with the XR's having 4-channel ABS and the rest have 3 channel. There's some sort of engineering tie-up with cost cutting that's not yet obvious to me, with the Traction Control using the ABS sensors.

By the sounds of it, not having to develop another I6 engine spec for base-level XR6's was another cost cutting exercise. FPV dropping one spec of I6 (From I6HP/I6VCT or I6T) and adding another spec of V8 (V8220 to Boss260/Boss290 - I don't think the stroker and 220 were built at the same time) seems to have been the trade.

It all depends on what you wanted out of your 500 Million. That's not a lot of money to develop a car with, despite the kachinking that goes on in my eyes when I think about what that could buy me.

But I'm digressing off-topic.

It wasn't so much an attack on you Kieron, as an attempt to put your concerns about the quality of the boot finish in the greater context of the engineering effort put into the BA. Probably with a lot of unecessary sarcasm to go with it....

Lukeyson

#18 ·
No worries Luke :)

But they did devleop a boot lining, just dropped it from the XR range as a cost cutting measure no doubt.
The base carpet could have easily been moulded flat and possibly a sheet of hardboard put on top of the spare tyre to support it corrctly (ala EF) and the carpet finish is second rate and not and engineering problem, an Excel has a better finish :)

I take your overall point though, in my view, the BA is the best Australian produced car ever.

#21 ·
Having previously owned both an Excel and it's replacement the Accent, I can categorically state that they do NOT have better finshed boots, or build quality in general. :s6:

ON the boot issue, yes it's a cost cutting measure - no doubt about that. They could have added a better finshed liner and raised the price a couple of hundred dollars and no one would have complained.

But on the bright side, it is the boot, and apart from the groceries, the only person who's ever gonna see it from the inside is my mother when she pisses me off and I couldn't care less what she thinks of the finish! :rofl:

The boot lid carpet is shown on my website (thanks MercSilvXR6 for the link) and the part numbers in question are BA-F46404-A1 for the lid carpet, and V-860213-S for the clips to attach it. You need 14 of them (DON'T let them tell you you need 13!).

The recessed boot floor in my own experience is a really good thing. The groceries sit down in there and don't fly around everywhere as your driving, I can fit 2 suitcases on top of each other in the well, and another in front of them under the parcelshelf (As I just did when 3 of us went away for 2 weeks with lots of luggage), and still have HEAPS of room down each side of the boot to stash the little odds and sods and stuff we bought while we were away.

I can forgive a little sloppiness when the trade-off is eminently pratical and demostrably useable.

The moulded plastic boot floor liner you can buy from Ford is also very handy, though not my own cup of tea. A rep that I deal with at work has one in his Futura and swears by it - his only caution is that you can hear things moving around on the plastic surface if you just throw them in loose (or don't turn the stereo up).

Cheers
Jason

#22 ·
I also think the ridges in the boot floor are handy.
My loose items in the boot keep in place (except when nounting roundabouts on two wheels etc), I stow my "D" shackle in the boot in the ridge to the right of the spare and it doesn't budge.
Whereas the carpet should be trimmed and stitched on the edges to make it a bit more presentable.
I certainly don't loose any sleep at night worring too much about the carpet, but I did feel the need for the under boot liner, finishes the boot off.

#23 ·
I didn't say an Excel has a better overall boot finish, just the carpet is trimmmed better.
The carpet doesn't even need stitching, the EF didn't but was tidely cut.

Really none of it bothers me as I don't see it that much, but it doesn't take much for the carpet supplier to do a slightly nicer job.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.