Ford Forums banner

poor quality paint work... common?

4K views 25 replies 11 participants last post by  BIGBADAU 
#1 ·
my car is admittedly a little dirty at the moment, and because i always park in the shade, i've not really noticed paint issues until now....

1. bumpers (front and rear) darker than rest of car
2. 'tiger stripes' on doors at some angles

i'll wash the car thoroughly on the weekend, not that it'll make any difference to the darker bumpers, but IMO even that is just not on in a new car.

if the tiger stripes on the doors are a paint defect, what is usually done? respray of doors? if the poor quality paint work is also on the roof, will they just fix the affected areas or redo the entire car from scratch?

i really don't understand how the car made it past QA....

#2 ·
hahahahahaha, been through this and yes the Paint Guy from Ford said that alot of the new BAs are having paint issues. My mates was just a polishing pre delievery issue and was fixed, the dealer just missed some spots when polishing it and its now perfect now.

BTW what colour is your car?

#6 ·
BIGBADAU said:
Thats just typical of that colour, just as ICE mint silver has the same problem and the AU2 Gold colour, cant remember the name.

I dont think they will touch it.
if it's typical of that colour, they shouldnt be selling cars of that colour til they get these sorts of problems sorted .... i assume that should they choose not to fix it, i get my money back for a defective product? i notice silver commodores don't have this problem...

#9 ·
I've noticed these "tiger stripes" on a lot of silver coloured falcons. I don't think its normal or acceptable. I have Mercury silver as Kappie does, and i have checked it in a quite a few different light conditions. No tiger stripes, so i don't think you should accept it Kappie. There is however a small colour variation in the rear bumper, I can just notice it in full sunlight.

I made sure when i picked up the car that the paint was ok.

Kappie i would talk to ford about the tiger stripe situation.

#10 ·
the color variation of the bumper and metal is becuase the paint is applied to different materials??? ok sounds weired but at the 2000 MMS i was taking photos of a black porsche 911 turbo. At the front it was quite visible that the bumpers were darker than the rest of the body. anyway thats just my theory....
btw the only pain(t) issues i am having with my cr is SWIRL MARKS i am using mcguires to help reduce it see in a few months what happens, my color is black!!

#11 ·
BIGBADAU said:
Phantom doesnt seam to have this problem. But yeah Mecury silver is bad for it, aswell as Ice Mint Silver. The AU2/3 Silver was the same and so was holdens Tungsten Gold Colour.
Holden's Tiger colour wasnt too harsh, but did have similar issues with paint...and anyone who wants a black car...my advice? dont drive it LOL...seriously if u dont want scratches/swirl marks/blemishes to be seen..cause black is notorious for bringing out scratches and dents...Nice colour just a barstard to keep clean.

#14 ·
Yes, the Commode's suffer from this problem,My boss has a silver Monaro and it has the tiger strip's,It seem's that all manufacture's have this problem,I've seen it on Ford's,Holden's Toyota's,etc their all the same.

#19 ·
galaxy xr8 said:
Yes, the Commode's suffer from this problem,My boss has a silver Monaro and it has the tiger strip's,It seem's that all manufacture's have this problem,I've seen it on Ford's,Holden's Toyota's,etc their all the same.
I had a look at a few silver Hondas ... no stripes. If they can get it right, Ford has no excuse.

Paint doesn't keep getting darker the more you apply, once you reach a certain level of thickness the colour stabilises. My guess (and I'm probably not going out on a limb), Ford are skimping on the paint and hoping most people won't make a fuss. The amount of people complaining about lack of paint on bottoms of doors would suggest I'm not far off the mark.

Out of curiosity, why is silver (or any light metallic) more of a problem? My gunmetal EF was fine, my dad has a Landcruiser in a colour similar to gunmetal which is fine, he also had a silver Honda which was fine.

#20 ·
yeah well youd be surprised at what different sunlight does to a paintjob and anohter thing you have to worry about if you want it fixed is what sort of result your going to get! Doors not alligned properly, overspray in some cases over other parts and all the rest. Id say your better up putting up with it as its a common problem with all silver cars, even tho it may not be seen in cars like Honda's.

#21 ·
at the very least, i'm going to get the bumpers resprayed ... from as far as 30m away, it's noticeable that they're darker than the rest of the car! unacceptable IMO.. ford really need to get their act together, they're struggling to meet demand and it is showing in the quality (or lack thereof) of the finished product.

you give the aussie product the benefit of the doubt, but it seems some things never change .... next car we buy will most probably be foreign.

#23 ·
... assuming the paint coming from the factory is consistent in colour (which it is not) ... what do they match it to? there are always variations.

but yes, it would certainly be better than getting it sprayed by a smash repairer. interestingly, the side skirts match the rest of the car.... how are the bumpers/skirts painted? batch wise, or on the car? maybe i got bumpers from a dud run?

#24 ·
yeah, i hate local smash repairers, THEY never get that factory finish, but i guess when you dont have a factory finish that is up to your standard like in your case, a local smash repairer might be an option.

Good thing about bumpers also is that you can drive the car with out them, which is important if your like me and need a car. Do you know if you local Ford dealer have thier own paint and panel shop?

#25 ·
yes, they do have their own shop, so that is a small plus, though I have no idea as to their reputation and quality of their work ... Stillwell Ford in Adelaide for any that may know.

I suppose I could drive without bumpers, but I figure they should at least offer me a loan car ..... XR8? :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.