Power cut... am I imagining it - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2003, 04:32   #1 (permalink)

Question Power cut... am I imagining it?

BA XR8 manual... when I have the boot in, but not so hard or wound out and definitely a way off rev/speed limiter, but has happened twice to me now... both times when in the bottom of a long fast downhill then uphill bit with a deep dip... doesn't feel like that I am pulling that many G's ...really!

Power seems to limit... feels like fuel cut or some other flattening.

Is it my imagination, or my rectum tightening on my toe? Maybe I am confusing this fly by wire throttle with my cautious boot?

Anyone experienced something similar?
Reborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-15-2003, 08:37   #2 (permalink)

i think your getting to use to the XR8's power and in need of some performance upgrade :)

maybe some form of forced induction? :)
snavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2003, 12:13   #3 (permalink)

Traction Control cutting in?...gotta be.
Old 06-15-2003, 16:22   #4 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Have you read my thread "BA XR8 Performance Fluctuation". Even after another computer, and complete throttle system, I still get a variation from time to time. I have heard of another guy in Victoria who was having similar problems. Sometimes on top of the world, other times "what happened to all of the grunt", But my interstate contact said he had disappeared and not returned to the dealership (maybe fed up). From your descripton I don't believe it has anything to do with traction control. I got frustrated when people told me it was that, or "you're just getting used to the power". Because if that was the case i would be used to it all of the time and not notice when it goes hard.
Old 06-15-2003, 18:34   #5 (permalink)

Thanks FANTM1, I read your "Fluctuation" thread, but think it may be different from what I am experiencing.

In my case, the power seems to cut / flatten for a only split-second, and has only happened in a long flat dip at the base of a down hill before going up hill.... and the pace was "spirited".
The road surface was dry and smooth and speed was only about 100km'ish, so I doubt if was traction control.

It seems to be associated more with the sudden downforce, rather than acceleration, traction control, over speed/rev.
Old 06-16-2003, 01:24   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I have seen something similar on "spirited" cornering. Not really hard but enough to get a bit of weight transfer.

I have also noticed a retardation of ignition timing on full throttle or high RPM SSS shifts. It's about the same as the T2's introduced to protect the transmission from massive torque loading so it's presumably for the same reason. Annoying.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2003, 02:32   #7 (permalink)
Movin!

There's no orange engine warning light that comes on to warn of possible drive by wire/throttle faults?
Old 06-18-2003, 02:19   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by russellw
I have seen something similar on "spirited" cornering. Not really hard but enough to get a bit of weight transfer.

I have also noticed a retardation of ignition timing on full throttle or high RPM SSS shifts. It's about the same as the T2's introduced to protect the transmission from massive torque loading so it's presumably for the same reason. Annoying.

Cheers
Russ
Thanks Russ, as that sounds similar. What is a T2?

I gather that that there is no fix as such?

John
Old 06-18-2003, 02:43   #9 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

A T2 is an AU Series 2 T Series Vehicle.

TE50/TS50/TL50
Old 06-18-2003, 19:14   #10 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

I thought the power cut (reduction) thing was only to soften the gear change on autos.

Even though I have power consistency issues on my manual XR8, I have not noticed this momentary power cut, which sounds like a "flat spot". For my situation I have currently disconnected and plugged my cannister purge hose due to the possibility of the purge valve opening or not closing at the right time. After 2 days it seems to be running quite well. Need more time to see if my "power fluctuation" persists. Mind you, it is going hard on this cold foggy, misty nights. Might have to look at water injection later on.

Were you decelerating just before you accelerated.
FANTM1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons