Ford Forums banner

powerful modded cars

6K views 38 replies 10 participants last post by  CATman 
#1 ·
Hey guys

i cant help noticing almost every topic on this board has to do with improving power output and torque of engines. Im just wondering why

I live in perth, well rockingham actually, and the basis of my day consists around perth, albany hwy, leach hwy, etc (for any of you that might know these streets), and basically the traffic doesnt flow much, when it does, if your the leader, you dont race ahead because there will be traffic lights or traffic 2 minutes ahead and u can only get up to the speed limit anyway or else get flashed, however if your not leading traffic you have to slow down anyway so you dont hit the car in front

even on open roads or in the country, why would you thrash it anyway, if you got an open road, then you got time to let the speed comfortably build up

my question is, why do you need extractors, and 60000000000000000KW at the rear wheels and mods that wear your engine out 4 times quicker than designed. If your a racer thats cool (but they wouldnt have EA falcons), but for city it seems dumb, and country it seems dumb.......

or are you just spending every cent you get because you have something to prove to the average VL commodore driver with his hat on backwards that might beat you off the lights and then run into a lightpole anyway ?

just curious hey, feel free to open my mind, broaden my horizons.

ben

#4 ·
Performance can be a safety feature when it comes to overtaking, but there has to be a compromise. I agree with what Ben is saying, but if other people have different priorities to me, that's no problem.

As for the VL drivers, I'll just take off slowly and chuckle to myself when I drive past and they are wrapped around a tree...

#8 ·
Yo Acid, I thought you'd be used to his contradictions by now. :lol:

As for why people want powerful cars, common sense would tell you that people who mod their cars for power find it more entertaining/fun/comfortable to drive.

And didn't you nearly buy an XR6 ben? If power/acceleration is not a concern for you then why bother with a sports car like the XR?

Ash

G
#9 ·
I also agree too somewhat...
For me its knowing i have a more powerfull car than most others on the road. Not so i can race them, coz i really feel BAD for my engine when i take her over 3000rpm but more that i can feel the power and torque at low RPMs. If i can feel the power at the low end then im happy. I wouldnt care if my car had a top speed of 120km/h as long as it had the pull and the feel of a powerful car. Personally i think a stock EL has enuf power for me and if i can get my 3.9L MPFI up to that power level then im happy :)

Brent

#10 ·
kenaz, notice how i didnt buy the car ? :)

acid, it used to get hot, but at high speeds with a/c on it sits just over half way and then when slowing down goes back down to the N, which im comfortable with.

i realise "power at disposal" is a great thing.....but i mean my EA stock has plenty of it, when overtaking second gear ratio is pretty much perfect, doesnt rev too high going no where, but produces heaps of boost to do it, at lower speeds, gear 1 is brilliant after 20k's.....unless your talking about overtaking someone who doesnt want to be overtaked, in which case i dont bother anyway.

it is nice driving a powerful car, if you want to sit 40k's above the limit all the time.

ben

G
#11 ·
Isn't it about the enjoyable envolvement of the driver with the car? No matter how much power you give a car, there will always be someone else who finds a bit more. But a taught, responsive car, is pleasurable to drive, even at the legal limits. I like a car that demands something of me, but then rewards me with my efforts. That's why I changed the slush box in my car to a T5. I like to drive it very smoothly and to do that I can't just space out. Extra power can be part of a well balanced car. OK. I like the idea that I can leave the rep in the VT (or AU) for dead if the mood takes me!

#12 ·
COZ it's our HOBBIE!

modding cars is our hobbie, and i think it's a fun hobbie coz u can see the differences at the end e.g. 180km/h top speed b 4 modding, 200km/h top speed after modding.
Plus we all like to show our chix how fast our car is don't we =)
Nar really ben, it's a great hobbie.

#16 ·
Re: modded

i got the honour of driving a mazda RX-7 twin turbo rotary not long ago, plus if you look at other posts you will notice i have driven ALOT of brands and models of cars, most being late models including fords.

the rx7 pulls 0-100 in 5.5seconds, which is great when you want a buzz.......but you dont do that with fords, they tip and slide out

my EA is stock, and having driven all these other cars, my car still has plenty of power for when i need it......which is why i asked the question why people blow good money on friggin camshafts

so what if you boost your top speed to 200km/h. All that hard work during the week to acheive a speed which you cant control and dont get an opportunity or need to use anyway ?

yeah great :-0

ben

#17 ·
good point

U know ben, I have this same argument with my mother. The fact is, I feel good about owning a fast car (or will, when I get the EA up there), I wish to actively take part in sanctioned 'off street' drag racing at my local strip, and have no problems spending MY MONEY on doing so.

While I really dont want to get into an argument with you on this, if you are such an anti-power person with little intention of speeding, why have u just invested 3 months building a radar detector? Surely one who never speeds has nothing to worry about cruising past the fuzz.....

Or did u build it to make some money, as a challenge, something that noone else has done? U think we are all that different? not really. Instead of making money with fast cars, we spend it (but get personal egotistical wealth). the challenge? We get that, all the time. Something noone else has done? How many EA's do u see hotted up compared to VK/VL/VN commodores? Not many.

Its a multicultural world ben, we do things that make our lives feel more complete....You only live once after-all :)

Live Fast, Die Pretty

#18 ·
Re: good point

Well said.

It's the same issue that I see recurring time and time again. Some people think with the head, others with the heart.

Personally, I cop criticism not for performance mods (I have none even after spend $6500 on my car) but the fact that I hardly ever drive my car. I prefer to save it for special occasions basically. Technically I don't even need it, but keep it for emotional reasons - it's frustrating when people don't understand this.

But I have a sensible side too, which is why I stay focused on improving my car's talents (namely comfort). To each their own.

#21 ·
Re: good point

You also stated an opinion in your most recent post, and implied an opinion by your question.

No disrespect but you're starting to sound like the old ben again. hehe - that may not be a bad thing though :)

#22 ·
just to be picky

Yeah, Irrelevant, but im feeling like acting like a inlaw tonight, so I thought I'd argue your last post about being questionative rather than opinionative...

QUOTE BEN
"my question is, why do you need extractors, and 60000000000000000KW at the rear wheels and mods that wear your engine out 4 times quicker than designed. If your a racer thats cool (but they wouldnt have EA falcons), but for city it seems dumb, and country it seems dumb......."

The beginning is a questionative, yes.....but the dumb part, thats opinionative....

Enjoy the rest of your weekend mate :)

#23 ·
Re: just to be picky

I live my life a 1/4 mile at a time. For those 17 seconds or more I'm free... Nothing else matters.

I sort of have the same argument with my dad over my car stereo. At the moment I have all sorts of car stereo components siting in my room, Amp, Headunit, Speakers. Dad said to me the other day, isn't your stereo good enough already? So I asked him whether he would like me to spend money on perormance gear for the car or stereo stuff.

My argument was that I was going to spend money on the car anyway, so it was safer for me to spend money on stereo and cosmetic mods for the car. :)

Ash

#24 ·
Speeds

Im not sure if anyone knows but all EA's have 190Kmh speed limiters which means it has a govenor. Anyway if you went over 160km/h you would risk blowing head's , snapping your drive shaft and shredding your Diff. Also you must need better handling like steering and suspension cause face the fact unless you lower your car a bit with performance springs and shocks a EA handles like and looks like a boat on the road. So if you want to ever go fast you'd want to spend a thousand dollars or so on your handling before even thinking about making it more powerful. This is why you see so many people wrapped around trees these days , plus if your going to flog it do some better driving courses so you can learn how to control a car. Also get some sway bars and support struts cause EA's have very unsafe body roll.

#25 ·
Well Ben my reason for making my car go harder then the average EA is just for pure enjoyment,I mean I have spent a far bit around $3500 in fact and still climbing on making one little old EA S pac blow the doors off a SS Commodore but this is not that much when you consider how much an ED or EF XR6 is and at the moment I would not swap for quids (maybe if it was the right price)but now I own a car which handles like or sometimes I think better then an XR6,XR8 its in good nic,its an EA which is not a favourite to hot up in the cool stakes but then again I intend on being an individual and I now have the performance and "GRUNT" to beat a XR6 and those would be SS commodores for half the price.

Theres nothing like the feeling now of cruising along in 4th doing my 60km/h and then knock it back to 2nd and feel that punch in the back of the seat or the 3rd gear pull which brings a smile to my face and makes alot of people look sideways and think twice.

Remember the feeling you had when you took those people for a ride in your pride enjoy after fixing their Telstar, well the feeling is simialar.

CYA Lukey

#26 ·
A slight correction EA90 - the EAs were never speed limited, or else Wheels wouldn't have got a manual S to do 215 km/h and a 3 speed Ghia to do 207. I do agree that better components are necessary in order to reach high speeds, but most people have lowered suspension as one of their top priority when modifying a car.

Lukey, I have seriously considered buying a manual EA S as one of my next cars. It would be a great feeling to have such a powerful car that people regard as a sluggish 3 speed boat - I think they are a performance bargain. Heck I might become an EA collector one day. hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.