Price on a XY/XW GT Rimblow steering wheel - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05   #1 (permalink)

Price on a XY/XW GT Rimblow steering wheel

I was told the other day, that the GM of Rare Spares stated on 3AW that the rarest and most expensive collectable car part was the XY/XW GT Rimblow steering wheel and that people will pay up to $3000 for a good one, has anyone actually bought or know someone that has spent anywhere near that much on one?
Advertisement

Old 07-08-2005, 08:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: Price on a XY/XW GT Rimblow steering wheel

Hiya,
"Believe nothing of what you hear or read, and only half of what you see!"

The steering wheels for the XW-XY are very much sought after.
The difference is that they have 3 spokes and a rimblow (squeeze the rim in almost 360degrees and it'll honk the horn). They also had three "coin" shaped doodads on each spoke of the centre cap. Most people seemed to shove 5 cent pieces etc into them years ago.
They go for anywhere from $1 for a totally shagged one to $1500 fully recoed.
Maybe Rare Spares charge $3000, but apart from the fact that they're often the only place to get something, they're a bunch of rip-off merchants, and I hate dealing with them.
I read your post as him saying that they're the dearest item. Try the set of Globe mags that went for $8000. They were the original set not the aftermarket or CSAs. The only real difference is that the later ones have the lip around the tyre bead area. There's also a d/head that tried to jump on the bandwagon and sell the ordinary ones for $3000. Guess what, he got no bids.

Getting back to the steering wheels, I have two that I'll gladly take $2999 each. Rares Spares can buy them and make a whole dollar. :)

Check ebay and you'll see the dearest ones going for $1100. The horn rubber is about $150 alone (Give or take) Then the cap is another $100+. The bare rim (cracks come free with them and I've seen few good ones on ebay) is about $300 - $500. (Ballpark figures, but close enough)
So for $550 - $750 would pull it up. Lot of bucks for an old steering wheel, hey! Mind you, people used to throw them away once. If they didn't they'd be a dime a dozen, like in the 70s and 80s.
Ahhhhhhhhh, for the good old days. And the many bargains that I didn't grab.

Catch ya later, Steve
xagtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2005, 08:39   #3 (permalink)

Just find out what model Mustang they came on and order one from The States. I find Rares Spares more honset and better to deal with then that bunch of Pr&6%ks in Melbourne.
Old 07-10-2005, 05:00   #4 (permalink)

Hi GXL,
Gimme a hint on the Melb !@#ks. (Very cryptically, or they may sue your for defamation.) I'm after a couple of rimblow rubbers and I've been given the contact of a very well known Melb mob. Being in Qld makes it easier to get screwed over.
I bought a Mustang wheel from a pr!ck in New Jersey for $78 aussie and then he wanted $110US for postage and handling. What do you do???? It ended up being an expensive exercise, and the thing was that stuffed that it was basically irrepairable junk.
I also received an email from the dude that bought the centrepad asking how the wheel was, as the pad was even worse. At that stage it still hadn't arrived and as soon as it did, I let him know. "caveat emptor", or for those of us that don't speak latin, "let the buyer beware" or something like that anyway.

Also, I've got a spare GXL steering wheel on my XA while it's being painted.
If you need it, (after it's finished with,) it's yours. It's got a really good centrepad etc, but the very top of the wheel is a (very smalll amount) bit furry. Minor sun damage. You pay the freight, if ya want it. (Nah, no freakin handling charges hahaha)

Steve
xagtly is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons