Problem with BA XR6 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2004, 22:20   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Question Problem with BA XR6

Hey,

Has anybody had a problem whereby there is a scraping noise coming from the front wheels (in relation to rotation, ie. we hear the noise once every rotation of the wheels). This happens all the time, not just on braking. You can only hear it at slow speeds as once you get faster the sounds blends together.

Am taking it to the dealer this week, just wondered if anybody had an idea as to what this could be...

Cheers,

Paul
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2004, 22:43   #2 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Re: Problem with BA XR6

Have you bent a rim, e.g. driving over a pot hole, or has somebody put on too thick wheel weights, or has one come adrift and is hitting the caliper. Shouldn't be too hard to find if you jack the car and spin the wheel.
Old 04-04-2004, 22:51   #3 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FANTM1
Have you bent a rim, e.g. driving over a pot hole, or has somebody put on too thick wheel weights, or has one come adrift and is hitting the caliper. Shouldn't be too hard to find if you jack the car and spin the wheel.
Well I definitely don't think that I've hit a rim as there aren't any scratches on the alloys at all, it could be something to do with the wheel weights, I'll mention that when I take it to the dealer (I've got a few other issues to get sorted out anyways)

It's only something that has started in the last 3 months or so (had the car for 11 months now and just shy of 12,000km)
Old 04-04-2004, 23:00   #4 (permalink)

If your brakes shudder then it is simply the discs are warped and need machining. Common fault in the BA's. you might find that it is also in the rear which will then not cause the car to shudder when braking.
BDAZLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 23:01   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Well it happens all the time, so it's definitely not the brake shudder problem, actually feel quite lucky so far (touch wood) that we haven't had that problem...
Old 04-04-2004, 23:24   #6 (permalink)
Rip Up The Track Join OFR

Quote:
Originally Posted by plee
Hey,

Has anybody had a problem whereby there is a scraping noise coming from the front wheels (in relation to rotation, ie. we hear the noise once every rotation of the wheels). This happens all the time, not just on braking. You can only hear it at slow speeds as once you get faster the sounds blends together.

Am taking it to the dealer this week, just wondered if anybody had an idea as to what this could be...

Cheers,

Paul
how many km's have you done ?? maybe the brake pads rubbing on the disc's, best to get a dealer to have a look at it....

PHANTOM BA XR8 UTE, AUTO, UNICHIP, APS TUNED 229 RWKW ET:13.47.

Rods Rocket, Boss n/a 290 Unichip Tuned by APS et:12.6@110 Mph
We are all inclined to judge ourselves by our ideals; others, by their acts.

XRFPV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 23:38   #7 (permalink)
Horse-Power Hungry

Check that the plastic covers (hub caps) are on correctly, when these pop off in one place they make a tick every time the wheel turns. Give em a good bash with your hand and see if it fixes the probs.

Cheers
boss 8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 23:39   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by boss 8
Check that the plastic covers (hub caps) are on correctly, when these pop off in one place they make a tick every time the wheel turns. Give em a good bash with your hand and see if it fixes the probs.

Cheers
I've got alloy wheels, so I don't have hub caps...
Old 04-04-2004, 23:47   #9 (permalink)
Crikey

My AU2 XR6 has the same noise. Complain about it to the dealer at every service. Always got the same answer sorry we can't hear it (deaf bastards). Last service though they said they heard it and their fix was to......rotate the tyres, which I do at every 7,500k anyway and the noise was always there.

Funny thing was for about 1,000k no noise, now its back as bad as ever. With over 75k on my speedo I'm resigned to it being there permanently.

As I'm starting to contemplate my next purchase I'm not overly happy that the same thing is happening in the BA.
Blurter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2004, 23:55   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blurter
My AU2 XR6 has the same noise. Complain about it to the dealer at every service. Always got the same answer sorry we can't hear it (deaf bastards). Last service though they said they heard it and their fix was to......rotate the tyres, which I do at every 7,500k anyway and the noise was always there.

Funny thing was for about 1,000k no noise, now its back as bad as ever. With over 75k on my speedo I'm resigned to it being there permanently.

As I'm starting to contemplate my next purchase I'm not overly happy that the same thing is happening in the BA.
Well I hope it's not that! Anyhow, I'll take all this to the dealer with me so I've got a bit of ammo when they come to me saying they don't know what it is...

Cheers
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons

Related Reading: Problem with BA XR6