Problematic 351c wont idle. - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2007, 18:41   #1 (permalink)

Problematic 351c wont idle.

Howdy all.

This motor was my daily driver, never missed a beat. Parked it up for 12 months and started it to find it now runs like a chev (poorly). I changed carb and manifold (had 2bl on it, now 650 sq bore) thinking the carb had dried up internally and it was a good excuse to change to 4 barrels. Nothing, striped disty to find the throw weights and other parts were seized. so i bought a new HEI disty/50kv coil thinking it would sort it, nope..... still runs poorly.

When it starts it wont idle, it revs under load very nicely, but reving with out throttle load produces a very ragged broken sound (like a misfire but never on the same cylinder) i have tried running it leaving one lead off to isolate a dodgy lead and it makes no difference other than a constant miss as well as the random miss. Oh... we have rotated timing both heavily adv and ret to see it there was any alteration in idle but nothing changes (minor pick up or down in revs but still never solid)

Could the diafram in the brake booster have cracked? could this just be a simple low vacuum issue? I have no guages to get a vacuum reading and have left it now for a month being a little de-moralised after digging deep for the carb/mani/disty.

Any suggestions on what to check and in what order?

Thanks in advance,
Darren
revinant99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-30-2007, 08:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: Problematic 351c wont idle.

You might want to check your plugs. They are probably fouled by now. I would put in new plugs.

Did you start the car with the 12 month old gas? If so it could be half varnish by now. You should drain the gas and run new gas through the lines before hooking it back up to the carb.

Just some thoughts without knowing the whole situation.

Steve
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons