Yep, sounds familiar:
Here my AUII experience, purchased brand new Falcon Forte in August 2000:
* After picking up (with 26km, 2nd day), noticed engine temperature moving into red. Returned to dealer and replaced faulty thermostat.
* At 96km, noticed lose of engine power, checked oil and noticed creamy/white colour. Returned to dealer - diagnosis: blown engine gasket, white coloured substance was water mixed with oil. The engine was virtually over-hauled, replaced gasket, checked cyclinders and heads to make sure no damage was caused. Cause was put down to a combination of lose engine head nuts, and thermostat fault which caused some over-heating - was a production fault in in July 2000.
* At 900km, transmission went into 'limp home mode'. Returned to dealer and found transducer was loose. This was re-fastened.
* At 1500km, transmission went into 'limp home mode' again. Returned to dealer, again fault with transducer. This time replaced transducer as connections were deemed faulty.
* At 12,000km, noticed a 'clicking' sound when releasing brake (ie..from stationary). Have returned to dealer several times, no problems withbrakes could be found. Eventually took it to a different dealer, and found the ball-joint to be faulty. Replaced ball-joint.
* At 41,000km, 'clicking' returned to brakes. Couldn't be bothered returning to dealer for problem. Doesn't seem to affect braking for safety performance, now I just 'live' with the problem.
* Sqeak/rattle from under dash located in central console behind air-conditioning. This actually started from around 400km. Have had the delaer look at this several times during servicing, but could not find anything. Again, couldn't be bothered bringing this subject up at future servicing as no-one in the service departments seems to take these things seriously, again now I just 'live' with the problem.
If I could put up a bet, I would wager that my car was probably built late on a Friday afternoon...
My 'experience with the AU is that it was a total piece of S^%&it.
Are these problems common ? is this normal with new cars ?
I hope my future experience with a BAII is better !