Rear Suspension Troubles - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2004, 22:01   #1 (permalink)

Rear Suspension Troubles

Hi

I have recently purchased a BA XT sedan and overall am very pleased with the car but one thing concerns me, and that is that when ever the car is taken over rough terrain the rear suspension seems produce a thud, as if something is loose or worn.

Has anybod had a problem like this?
Do you think it sound serious, if not I only have about 1000kms till the next service and I will get it checked out then.
toddyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2004, 07:44   #2 (permalink)
Horse-Power Hungry

Re: Rear Suspension Troubles

Hi toddyp, I have a BA XR8 and I spoke to my dealer after the 3k check as every time I went over a sharp speed hump the Susp would clank down and sound loose. Dealer said it was normal. Doesn't do it any other time however I haven't gone over rough stuff but can imagine the same effect. i would ask anyway, if it don't feel right get it checked. Enjoy your ride

Cheers
Old 08-15-2004, 16:39   #3 (permalink)
THE PHANTOM

Mine tends to thud as well. One of the first things I noticed compared to the AU.
Old 08-15-2004, 16:44   #4 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Yes the thud seems to go away after 20,000 kms as we had the same problem with our company vehicles. Its just when you go over something really rough, but yeh it has seem to gone now. The car i use to drive was so bad it would even thud when you planted it.
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2004, 19:01   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Yes the thud seems to go away after 20,000 kms as we had the same problem with our company vehicles. Its just when you go over something really rough, but yeh it has seem to gone now. The car i use to drive was so bad it would even thud when you planted it.
mines at 44,000kms (2nd hand car)
the thud started about 500-600kms after I got it.
Old 08-24-2004, 02:18   #6 (permalink)

Thumbs up Re: Rear Suspension Troubles

I have an EB did the same thing, took months to find it, turned out to be the rubbers on the rear sway bar where they mount to the diff housing. They had gone rock hard. Replaced with aftermaket (red) parts and thud has stopped.
hope this helps
Teeldama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 17:58   #7 (permalink)

I've had my 2002 BA Ghia for about 3 months (45000 klm) and the first time I had it on a dirt road the noise from rear was terrible. Also noticed clunks around town when turning a corner with bump in it. Took it to my local Ford dealer and they ended up dropping entire rear suspension and replacing top bushes and a one thats in front of the rear wheel which was very worn. It's a lot better now Hope this helps

Cheers

Paul
BAGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 19:34   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BAGhia
I've had my 2002 BA Ghia for about 3 months (45000 klm) and the first time I had it on a dirt road the noise from rear was terrible. Also noticed clunks around town when turning a corner with bump in it. Took it to my local Ford dealer and they ended up dropping entire rear suspension and replacing top bushes and a one thats in front of the rear wheel which was very worn. It's a lot better now Hope this helps

Cheers

Paul
Sound excactly like mine, were the bushes replaced under warrenty?
Old 08-25-2004, 01:13   #9 (permalink)

Hey toddyp

Yes the bushes were replaced under warranty, thank goodness. Big job I think!! Having a few issues with them about some other stuff that I am not happy with though. Not a happy Ford customer at the moment.

Cheers
BAGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2004, 01:26   #10 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

I haven't experienced a thud like that with mine. The suspension has been great, a marked improvement over the XF!!

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons