Ford Forums banner

Rebuild Or Not To Rebuild!

3K views 25 replies 10 participants last post by  tickford2001 
#1 ·
I bought this EB 4.0L engine from the wreckers that is blowing smoke and has no compression for $200. Now Im going to do a total rebuild on it with a jim mock and all other new parts racing pistons etc, Will this stop it from blowing smoke and get it back to good as new???

#4 ·
$200 for a throwaway motor, he saw you coming!
Sorry but it's true :p

The rebuild will stop it smoking, provided as Tibbo said, you do the thing properly.
Bore, deck, grind and balance the crank. Face the head, even if you don't port it.

That'll fix it.

#7 ·
for a short motor that you know is r**ted, with no compression etc, i'd throw a carton of beer their way..

It was worthless to them,, they are a dime a dozen BUT don't let it discourage you from rebuilding it.. I know dudes that have bought good running engines for 4-6 hundred only to strip them right down and rebuild them anyways

#8 ·
ok so do u think i should buy an enigne that works or get this one for how much????

#10 ·
so when i put in the jim mock dev5, u dont think i will need new pistons crank etc???

#11 ·
yes, sorry i should of been clearer,,

Since it has no compression and blows smoke , chances are the rings are shagged or cracked.. So the bores will need to honed, and because you want a HP rebuild, the pistons *should* be replaced, conrods and crank reground and balanced, new rings and bearings , and the block decked due to the trusty h/gasket issues
That then gives a strong bottom end.

Then the head can be money pit.. You can just put the cam in, a timing gear and some lifters and away you go, but again for HP look at aleast getting it skimmed and port matched and if it was me ported and polished for alittle more ooomph!

#12 ·
thanks alot tibbo,

how much u rekon this will end up costing me if im doing it all my self except for the balencing and polishing porting etc???

#13 ·
Curtis,
I don't know how much ford parts are mate, but please do not be fooled into thinking that your gonna build this high HP engine for a few hundred dollars, it will cost you a few thousand dollars, perhaps more.(don't know ford prices).
Sounds like a good project, albeit an expensive one.
Good luck.

#14 ·
email ACL for a price on a rebuild kit, add another $500 or so for machineing, $200-$300 for lifters, water pump and misc and whatever for your cam , you should get some change from $2000 if you dont go mad on the head

EDIT: that is if you do the disamble/assembly work yourself and you have access to tools,, Engine stand, torque wrench etc

#15 ·
i know that mate, im doing it over 2 years a bit at a time im not thinking it will be anyless than $5,000.

#17 ·
wat u saying 5,000 will only get the head ported,
i was thinking
acl race series stuff 2,000
jim mock stuff dev 5 not inc. exhaust 2,000
other little things.

then all the balencing etc will be how much???

#19 ·
well its 2,000 for dev 5 no exhaust
i spose all the bearings and acl racing stuff pistons etc. 2,000
well basically just wanna work out a few things....

can u help me?
1, will i need a new crank???
2, what are all the things needed to be done to the head????
3, will i need higher hp injectors or anything as such??? new computer or run high compresion??? help me out???

#21 ·
Keep your crank unless it's totally shagged (not likely).
For $2k doesn't JMM prep the head for you? He'd bloody better! :)
Your computer should be fine, though I'd possibly look at using a MAF sensor instead of the MAP. Definitely use high-comp pistons.

#22 ·
i was told ACL kits were around 600 dollars, all bearings, pistons etc included (may be wrong)

If you want a gun motor on the cheap, PM gm_dstroyer (joe) he knows a sweet NA motor combo off the top of his head (EA crank, EF rods I think)

5 grand should get you a gun engine, quikcorty has run a 14.6 in a stock EA 5 speed apart from diff gears, rebuilt to stock specs head, 120 dollar(?) regrind wade cam induction mods, full exhaust and good driving...

Rollin run a 14.5 in EB XR6 stock with again reground baby cam, lotsa ignition timing, premium fuel, 3.7 diff etc etc

even a half decent donk combined with T5 and shorter diff gears will happily see a EA motor along quite nicely :)

#24 ·
acl race series kit should be no more than $600, my 351c race kit was $720

block= bore,hone,deck,chemical clean
crank= regrind,balance,polish
rods= resize, balance
pistons=fit to rods and balance

that shouldnt soak up more than $1000, my 351c work was $1500 but i had more things done, and the'd be like machining 2x4cyls at a time to more labour.

putting it together is fairly straight forward, get a good workshop manual, and a tourqe wrench, and a clean place to put it together.

#25 ·
mongrelEB said:
For $2k doesn't JMM prep the head for you? He'd bloody better! :)
yeh i was under the impression that the head was included in the package (as it is a major part of the dev 5 pack!)

#26 ·
oh and the $200 for the engine does sound a little steep for a shagged engine

if you look around you can get a whole car for not much more than that! i got an EA from the auctions for $470, it had been hit in the back and side and was absolutely stuffed from that aspect, but the engine and T5 were fine. Also was able to sell the interior and numerous other parts...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.