Replacing camshaft... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2004, 03:49   #1 (permalink)

Replacing camshaft...

Hey guys.

Just wondering how hard it would be to replace the camshaft in my EL XR8?
Ive done a camshaft change before, on my old XF falcon, but wondering whether or not i should do it myself this time?

Or should i just leave it to the engine builder?

Ive been quoted $1200 to supply & fit a cam in my XR.

Cheers.
Bassfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2004, 10:10   #2 (permalink)
Proud Ford Owner

Re: Replacing camshaft...

$1200 is a total rip of, unless that includes a chip. Even then it seems steep. It's easy to do yourself, as long as you have a torque wrench.
Mike Gayner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2004, 02:18   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Gayner
$1200 is a total rip of, unless that includes a chip. Even then it seems steep. It's easy to do yourself, as long as you have a torque wrench.
Rip off? Seriously?
What should i expect to pay then? Just for the labour i mean, if i supplied my own camshaft..
And would you, or anyone know where abouts in Sydney i could get a GOOD job done at a reasonable price?

Whats involved in the cam shaft change in the xr8 anyway?
Is it just removing the intake, heads, valve gear?
Or is it the above plus the radiator & front bumper aswell?

Cheers!
Old 12-15-2004, 01:44   #4 (permalink)
Australian AU Member

Mate don't listen to Wankers $1200 is a fair price to supply and fit Cam
What goes into the package is:
1. Performance Roller Camshaft
2. Adjustable Roller Timing Chain Kit
3. Gaskets, Sealant
4. Engine Oil & Filter
5. Recharge of Air Con Unit
6. New Coolant
7. Labour
So $1200's not to bad
As for the other intellegent reply I'm still trying to work out what you need a Tension Wrench for
Old 12-15-2004, 02:48   #5 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

$1200 is a very decent price indeed with labour inclusive. It would be a good 6 hour job atleast considering you gotta drain engine and coolant, recover gas in A/C system, remove front bar, radiator, A/C condenser, timing cover, then the cam. Then fitting you've gotta put the new cam in, set it up right with the adjustable timing gear, refit and seal timing cover, refit radiator, A/C condenser, put new oil and coolant, then evacuate and charge A/C system up again. All that takes time, and the components and gaskets and sealant like SVO said all cost money too. I think $1200 supplied and fitted is great value!
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 22:39   #6 (permalink)

$1200 is a good price considering agood quality cam and lifters and timing chain set SHOULD cost you $550-650.any cheaper and check the brand and spec.a lotta crappy gear out there.never had a problem with crow cams and eaton lifters-used em half a dozen times.is your car an auto?try crow pno-k6201.works real good in eb xr8 with gt40p,s and hm headers.
ebv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 00:39   #7 (permalink)

I thought so!
In all honesty, i was expecting more then $1200! I thought maybe around the 1.5k mark.. Eeeenyways, as ebv888 asked - its a manual tranny.

Im not going to keep the stock heads, its a series 1 elxr8, and i dont like the e7 heads, so im replacing them with either the Trickflow Twisted Wedge or the AFR 185's (which 1 would yous recommend?)

With the AFR heads though, do i need to notch the pistons if using a fairly nice cam? I think they accept up to a 550th lift? Correct me if im wrong...

Also, if piston notching is required, does the engine have to be romived from the car to do this?
Old 12-16-2004, 19:45   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassfreak

With the AFR heads though, do i need to notch the pistons if using a fairly nice cam? I think they accept up to a 550th lift? Correct me if im wrong...

Also, if piston notching is required, does the engine have to be romived from the car to do this?
yes they will need to be notched with any head that has 2.02in or larger valves. no the engine does not need to be removed. i saw an au xr8 in performance ford mag earlier this year that had afr 165s fitted and it needed valve notches to clear the 1.90in valves with stock cam & 1.7 rockers. this was done with a bare head that was used as a jig and an old valve was put in that had a stone attached to it. this valve was then spun with a drill to 'notch' the piston with the engine (bottom end) still in the car. only problem is that the notches need to be identical & as small as possible to minimise risk of an engine imbalance

you could also ask xr8 chick how the notches were enlarged on her ed with 185s.
sam12h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 20:39   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Run the Trickflows but get em polished first..
Bloody good heads.
I made 211 rw/kw with the heads, maf, injectors & edelbrock manifold.

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2004, 21:43   #10 (permalink)

if youare going to fly cut the pistons in car put heaps of vaso all over the top of the piston to catch ALL of the swarf or you just screwed your engine.
ebv888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons