Resetting air bag warning light - 1996 EF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-04-2004, 03:05   #1 (permalink)

Resetting air bag warning light - 1996 EF

HI,

I had to remove the front of my steering wheel which meant that I had to disconnect the air bag. Before I did this I disconnected the air bag fuse. When I put it all back together the air bag warning light first flashes and then stays on. Is there a way that I can reset this light?

Thank you.
correva is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-04-2004, 18:47   #2 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Re: Resetting air bag warning light - 1996 EF

I thought u were supposed to disconnect the battery, fuse would do the same thing i guess but airbags really arent worth playing with.

Id say you will have to take it back to the dealer to get them to reset it..
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2004, 19:30   #3 (permalink)
.au member

Try disconnecting the battery for a while, see if it resets the lot. Theoretically it should, if it doesnt, you're most likely off on a trip to your local Ford dealer.
Old 12-04-2004, 22:37   #4 (permalink)

Just for your info, although I have a BA, the airbag warning light came on continously and after fiddling with the wires under the seats the next day it was gone. However at the next dealer service for fixing this (as I kept the booking) it was found that the LH side airbag circuit needing repacing. It might only be very minor in your case but IMHO playing with your safety is not worth the gamble.
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 01:39   #5 (permalink)

All you need to do is turn on the ignition, connect a wire between terminal M (air bag memory clear) and B (earth) on the diagnosis connector. Once chimes are heard take off the wire and turn off the ignition. Wait a few secs then start the engine. If the light remains on or flashing you might have to repeat this 2-3 times depending on how many fault codes have been stored. If it persists there is obviously something amiss and I would get a dealer to look at it. Be careful not to touch other terminals in the diagnosis connector, you need a steady hand as you may blow a fuse on another circuit as B is earth. The diagnosis connector is above the flasher relays next to the fuses. The terminals are below(I hope).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air bag.jpg (17.7 KB, 393 views)
shoonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2004, 02:32   #6 (permalink)
In a blue Galaxy

schoonic you beat me to it. As schoonic connector diagrams suggests, it's the 4th pin top right hand side. When I reset the code for people I use a coat hanger and earth it on to the door check strap or the steel frame peice under the dash. It may take up to 5 seconds before the chimes come on, so be a little patient and have steady hands.
O.F.R #12
1999 AU XR8
14.594 @ 94.40mph
152.2RWKW (APS dyno)
Switchable Shift Kit, K&N panel filter, Lukey straight thru mufflers, momo gear and steer,
DBA slotted rotors/Bendix ultimate pads (front), Pioneer MP3 head unit and BA XR carpet mats.

Member of the Society Against Stupid SMS Language
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2004, 22:03   #7 (permalink)

HI Guys, Tried it and it didn't work. Here is what I did.

I took the cover of the fuse box and it has the white connector above the fuses and to the right of the relays. On the top row of the connector I placed a metal coathanger and attached it to the where the 4th pin is from the right. In my box, it has spaces for 3 pins, but there is only 1 there. Did you count these as pins? My connector box is divided into three parts. The pin I used was the last one of the middle part. Any one have a pic? I could not also see any markings on the white plastic.

Thanks for your help.

Dave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra
schoonic you beat me to it. As schoonic connector diagrams suggests, it's the 4th pin top right hand side. When I reset the code for people I use a coat hanger and earth it on to the door check strap or the steel frame peice under the dash. It may take up to 5 seconds before the chimes come on, so be a little patient and have steady hands.
correva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2004, 22:58   #8 (permalink)

Dave, Its actually the 4th pin from the left side that you need labelled "M" in the diagram below and earth. Hope this helps. Shane.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Air bag.jpg (17.7 KB, 187 views)
shoonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 00:40   #9 (permalink)

Hi, I've tried doing whatyou've suggested, but I couldn't even get the chimes to sound!! Any suggestions? It's the only thing left to get the RWC
anita2day is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons