Retreads - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2004, 02:59   #1 (permalink)

Question Retreads

Why are retreads regarded so badly for safety reasons? Do they wear quicker, grip less, disperse water less? They are quite cheap so i would like to know any major reasons why they shouldnt be purchased to put on an average large car like a falcon
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-08-2004, 03:02   #2 (permalink)
BOFH

Re: Retreads

They usually wear a lot quicker but are quite grippy and excellent in the wet. If you want to know why they are bad news then go and run one till it delaminates...after it tears your panel to pieces and probably turn your car sideways into the nearest wall you will know why I would never have them on anything faster than a FSM Niki!

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 03:10   #3 (permalink)
TQE FAIRMONT GHIA

you might get nice new tread but the sidewall and casing of the tyre are still original and I would say they are only designed to last the length of the original tread.. with all the places here selling 2nd hand tyres you hardly ever see retreads anymore...
Old 08-08-2004, 05:58   #4 (permalink)

Although they would probably give you better grip in the wet then ome Falkens, from what I have read in these Forums. Most retreads are limited to 140Km/h. Al lnew tyres sold in AUstralia must be at least S rated which means 180Km/h, yeah I know you can only LEGAlly do 110 in all civilisation, but there is such a thing called "factor of safety"
Old 08-08-2004, 06:07   #5 (permalink)
rau
Don't Know Much User

Unless your using them for burnouts, i find them a waste of time. Theyre a quick fix for the poor
Old 08-08-2004, 07:02   #6 (permalink)

Well, from the viewpoint of a near-geriatric, first here's the reason retreads are bad news generally: all they do is take a premoulded piece of rubber and glue it to a stripped and cleaned carcass. You ever take a run out in the sticks -- or even on an arterial road -- and see all the treads left by the truckies? That's why.

OTH, why you SHOULD consider REMOULDS. Remoulds are different: they start with the same stripped and cleaned carcass, but then they take a long strip of uncured compund and roll it onto the carcass, layer after layer, just like teflon tape on a pipe joint. THEN they cook it -- cure it -- and that's where the tread gets moulded in. They have the same properties as cheap new tyres, and are excellent if all you do is run around the shopping centers and the odd trip out to the sticks.

Look at the place where the tread joins the shoulder. A remould will blend in smoothly, with maybe a thin dag hanging out. A retread has a glued-on, disconnected look -- you'll also detect a seam across the width of the tread.

So I guess it comes down to what you need. Remoulds are good to 120Km/h legally, which gives a reasonable safety margin. What's your wheels? Family/work hack? Go for it. Night Moves with mods? Get a set of (new) fatties --they look much better on your mags, and will give better performance at that stress level.

BTW. Do you know that tyre grip is dictated by the tread contact LENGTH? Not by the WIDTH. If your fatties are too wide, you'll actually LOSE traction!

(I used to work in a tyre factory.)
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 07:06   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordon451
BTW. Do you know that tyre grip is dictated by the tread contact LENGTH? Not by the WIDTH. If your fatties are too wide, you'll actually LOSE traction!

(I used to work in a tyre factory.)
Yes: Pressure = force/area

wider tyres with the same weight car will give you LESS pressure on the road.
Old 08-08-2004, 17:57   #8 (permalink)
Get It On

Retreads dont even bother, your familys life is riding on 4 tyres so get good ones.

BOSS POWER COMING TO CALDER SOON
Quote: by Street Tuner
400kw N/A engine is sitting on the dyno now ,
GRUMPY1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 18:22   #9 (permalink)
Chasing 500rwkw

I think I saw your car at calder last week Grumpy1 it is tough, good work.

When I bought my 17's I had remoulds fitted at the tyre factory cos I was cheap and worked casual hours.
After about 6 months abuse behind my 351 XF the rear tyres became out of round. I put the same wheels onto the front of my EB when the XF was sold and at 40 kms and above the car would shake violently. I had to put them onto the back it was so bad. Now the vibration only sets in at about 110km.

I would not buy them again due to the way I drive.
DansEdgli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2004, 20:51   #10 (permalink)

DansEdgli -- you put REAR tyres on the FRONT????????????????????????

You put WORN tyres on the MOST IMPORTANT wheels in the car????????????

Urrghghghghgh... :b..
gordon451 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons