Running in? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-15-2004, 13:35   #1 (permalink)

Running in?

Hi All,

What is the general consensus on running in? I've heard all sorts of stories and would like to get some input. I drive a new BA XR8 Ute and I want to know will giving it the odd blurt hurt it in the first few thousand kms.

Cheers
Tim
Advertisement

Old 11-15-2004, 13:45   #2 (permalink)
Mid-life crisis

Re: Running in?

I'd be going by what's recommended by the manufacturer in the manual. Can't tell you the specifics (I'm sure someone can) but its normally something like: Don't exceed X,000 rpm for Y kilometres; Don't drive at a constant speed for too long ... ie vary speed; Avoid hard acceleration after start up (which you should anyway); Avoid hard braking for the first Y kilometres to bed the brakes in etc....
fpv f6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2004, 16:14   #3 (permalink)

Mate I have always believed that you need to run it in how you intend to drive it.

The only point of caution is to not do too much of the same rev range or speed for too long, vary up and down.

A mate of mine worked for a porche dealer in switzerland and they got paid by new car buyers to 'run in' the new 911's. They took them to an autobahn and flogged the crap out of them from first start up. He swears that if you drive one run in like this then get in one run in by the customer you feel like you are getting into a VW.

Anyway enjoy the ride.
Haycait
Old 11-15-2004, 16:56   #4 (permalink)
In-line 6, DOHC, 24V

Quote:
Originally Posted by UTEXR8
Hi All,

What is the general consensus on running in? I've heard all sorts of stories and would like to get some input. I drive a new BA XR8 Ute and I want to know will giving it the odd blurt hurt it in the first few thousand kms.

Cheers
Tim
Follow your manual.
The following is from another post; Oil Usage
If owners take the time & effort to run in the engine/drive train correctly, there will be a long term benefit of longevity, power, reliability.

If running-in was not an important part of an engine/drive train building process, why do the race teams run in there vehicles?

http://fpv.com.au/index.asp?link_id=2.419
Quote:
Engine run-in procedure
Ford Performance Vehicles recommends all customers use the following procedures for the ultimate performance and protection of the Boss 290 V8 engine.

In the first 750 kilometres of travel:
Avoid exceeding 4500rpm

Accelerate positively where appropriate in all gears, particularly when driving up hills

On long stretches of travel, vary engine speeds by occassionally using lower gears while maintaining a constant speed, when safe to do so

Where possible, apply high engine loads for short periods of time by using high gears at speeds below 60km/h

While driving between the first 750 kilometres and 1500 kilometres of travel:
Progressively increase engine speeds up to 5500rpm with occasional use of full-throttle acceleration while remaining within the legal speed limits

On long stretches of travel, vary engine speeds by occasionally using lower gears while maintaining a constant speed, when safe to do so

Where possible, apply high engine loads for short periods of time by using high gears at speeds below 60km/h

Please see the Owner's Manual for more information on how best to protect your engine with regular maintenance checks
johnydep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2004, 13:46   #5 (permalink)

Thanks all,

Appreciate the input.

Cheers
Tim.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons