Rust repairs and paint jobs - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 03:49   #1 (permalink)

Rust repairs and paint jobs

Ok I want to see what some have spent on their classics and also what people think is a fair price to pay.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-16-2004, 04:17   #2 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Re: Rust repairs and paint jobs

Pretty much depends on the work required. If you get a decent bare metal respray plus some rust repairs for less than $6000 you're doing very well in my experience. The price only goes up when you include multiple colours/clear coats or anything out of the ordinary.

It also comes down to the painter. I've seen some $20k paint/panel work that ended up in court it was so bad, but I've seen some top quality $5k work.

Sorry, that didn't really answer the question huh? :)
Old 03-16-2004, 04:42   #3 (permalink)

Yep, it's pretty much 'how much do you want to spend?' these days

I've had several quotes recently that vary from $3000-$7000 for rust repairs and bare metal respray.
I think it all comes down to what their workshops are like (neat, organized), their previous work, how long they have been around etc... Try and get some recomendations

My budget was 5k and I think I've found a guy who I can trust and quoted me exactly that much. Hopefully all will be good....
ZH_302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2004, 06:49   #4 (permalink)
The Supreme Machine!

I'm currently looking for a place that will "respray" mine in 2 pac copper bronze mettalic (original colour) for around $5500, Needs some panelbeating mostly bonnet and 1/4 panel, I'm taking all the parts off, Bumpers/trims/grill/tailights etc... Which makes it cheaper

It does not need a baremetal as theres no rust and the paint is still in good condition and there's allready 4 panels which have been back to metal

I've found a place that has a good reputation and would do a good job, Hopefully they will quote that much or less, I will soon see in a few days..

I did get quoted once for $3500 but that was an "acrylic only painter"

1960 FB Holden Wagon: (Tha Yella Terra) 192ci 6cyl,4spd, 13x7 Chromies.

NA fairlane ghia 5.0

Last edited by XA_GT_351; 03-22-2004 at 05:29.
XA_GT_351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 01:54   #5 (permalink)
Registered Abuser

XA_GT_351 Let us know how you go with it. I have used a number of paint shops around Geelong in the past with varying success. I did have a fairly good experience with Blake's on Thompson rd, North Geelong many years ago so they may be worth looking into.
Old 03-17-2004, 02:17   #6 (permalink)
walking power

I spent around 2 grand just on materials and paid someone just over 3 grand to spray it(just labour) all the panel work and rust repairs was done by my uncle and myself which is the most time consuming and most costly so i saved at least 2-3 grand there and my body was really good.

Check out my links for the quality of work.
Old 03-17-2004, 03:51   #7 (permalink)

$6,000 for the ute and $10,000 for the Cobra
paull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 04:09   #8 (permalink)

I happen to be in the fortunate position of having one of my mates doing the panel and paint on mr 67 xr fairmont.it has been over two years of mainly weekend work to get it to a position of now being ready for paint.Having witnessed and participated in the bodywork has been a huge learning curve for me.I can appreciate now why some shops quote in excess of 10 grand for a bare metal respray.the cost of materials alone has exceeded 2500 dollars,and this is getting most materials at the right price.plastic blasting came in at 900 dollars,new door skins 1500 etc.My advice is to do your homework,see what materials they use as this can vary in quality and price greatly and you must have patience .finally its always good to get a recommendation from someone whom already has work done and is happy with the end result.
russxr67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 05:17   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by russxr67
finally its always good to get a recommendation from someone whom already has work done and is happy with the end result.
As a matter of fact someone did recommend one place, (I was really impressed with them) so I took the car to get a quote and they also gave me a tour around the workshop to show how they work, they even said I am welcome to see the progress of the car anytime I want, which you don't get many panel shops saying that.

No bog is used and they make their own panels and not suprising as most of the cars they are rebuilding are bloody relics even some very rare ones.

The quote? over $12,000 for rust repairs and paint job.
I think I'd better strip the car myself and maybe strip the paint off if I can and save a few bucks.
JG33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2004, 18:14   #10 (permalink)
Cleveland Powered

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33
, they even said I am welcome to see the progress of the car anytime I want, which you don't get many panel shops saying that.
Actually this is a good point. I think you should always be able to inspect the car at any time, especially where rust repair is involved. With the last XB I got painted the shop was specifically told not to put the front guards back on until we had seen their work.

Its far too late to fix anything important once the car has been resprayed. Any panel shop that's half decent should have no problem letting you see their work.

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons