Rust in an XE - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2004, 07:17   #1 (permalink)

Rust in an XE

Hello everyone, im thinking on buying a stunning XE Falcon, painted 2 yrs ago, reconditioned 351 cleveland, c4 gear box with shift kit, reconditioned 9" diff, extractors, holley 600 double pumper, 120ltr liscenced drop tank and much more. However..... there is a spot of rust in the bottom front corner of one of the doors. About the size of a 20c coin.
Im just wondering as to if this is normal place for rust in a XE and why it has appeared? I know that sometimes water can get down the sides of the weather strips and into the door, but there is a drain whole at the bottom of the door to let the water out. Does this rust mean the whole is clogged. And also, if the rust is only a 20cent coin large on the outside, will it be worse on the inside or all throughout the inside of the door?
Any help with this would be much appreciated
cheers,
Luke

VG Valiant Regal (Dodge Dart), 2 door coupe .. midnight black... lowered.. 318 V8... 15" boss Subby with a 1200watt amp.
Quickford is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-16-2004, 21:47   #2 (permalink)
Fords biggest Freak

Re: Rust in an XE

If the rust is only in the door itself, then it is no biggie to either replace the door or get it fixed. It sounds like it may be blocked, best take off the door skin and take a look to see what may be the cause.

Besides the one spot of rust in an un-common area, this XE sounds like a nice ride! don't let a bit of rust stop you from buying it. It would only cost about $80 to get it cut out, welded and painted again.
Old 08-16-2004, 22:20   #3 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

Run over the car with a magnet (careful not to scratch it of course) and find whats metal and whats bog, new paint jobs can hide alot, in the end your call as to wether you get it or not.

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2004, 23:55   #4 (permalink)
XR8's are the chosen ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak
If the rust is only in the door itself, then it is no biggie to either replace the door or get it fixed. It sounds like it may be blocked, best take off the door skin and take a look to see what may be the cause.

Besides the one spot of rust in an un-common area, this XE sounds like a nice ride! don't let a bit of rust stop you from buying it. It would only cost about $80 to get it cut out, welded and painted again.
I would definitely follow this advice. I used to own 2 XE's until a couple of years ago, and once a little bit of rust appeared, it seemed to spread quite quickly. The front panels over the front tyres (quarter panels?) seemed to always fill up with mud and rust from the inside out... Check this also. The XE Fairmont Ghia I had was the silver color which aged quite badly also, so I wouldn't recommend buying one in this color unless you intend to garage the car.
Member #007 O.F.R.
Member AU Preservation Society
bladeXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2004, 04:14   #5 (permalink)
Falcon 2.. Ferrari 0 hehe

look at the firewall..... get a liter of water, and put in the panel where the w9ipers are, if it all goes onto the ground thats good, if it dont, and goes insdie, walk away lol.....
rear window, get inside, on hte back seat, top of the roof at the edge where the window is, press there, if u feel rust, or hear like a crunching sound, rust
in the boot, check the bottom of the 1/4's, and the top, near the c pillars
ummm.... do the magnet trick, but if they used metal meand, the magnet trick wont work (it odnt work on my bog bucket lol) so be careful about it....

XE Fairmont Ghia... Silver/Grey Met over black, soon to be v8, cant wait till i get another v8, after 3 LONG HARD YEARS

http://home.iprimus.com.au/diablo_vt/xeesp.swf
MaD_WoG is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons