Sept05: Corolla outsells Commodore and Falcon - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2005, 23:45   #1 (permalink)

Sept05: Corolla outsells Commodore and Falcon

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117...-28793,00.html

Quote:
Family cars run out of juice
October 05, 2005

HIGH petrol prices have helped the Toyota Corolla to become Australia's top selling car, vaulting the four-cylinder model ahead of the six-cylinder Holden Commodore and Ford Falcon.

Toyota sold 4950 Corollas in September compared with 4851 for the Commodore and 3900 for the Falcon.
Its giant killing performance came as petrol prices prompted a 38 per cent jump in demand for small cars.

"September's sales continue the downsizing trend of recent months," said Federal Chamber of Automotive Industries (FCAI) chief executive Peter Sturrock.

"It's clear that this trend has been magnified by the recent impact of higher petrol prices."

But high fuel costs have not dented the public's demand for new cars and trucks, with a record 84,440 retailed last month.

This was the best ever September result and was five per cent or 3988 vehicles more than in the same month last year, the FCAI said it its VFACTS bulletin today.

As well as the big increase in demand for small cars, sales in the light car segment rose 16 per cent and demand for sports cars rose 22 per cent.

By contrast demand for medium-sized models fell 10 per cent and demand for large cars crashed almost 30 per cent.

The results took total demand for the first three quarters of 2005 to 749,347, 5.5 per cent or 39,100 more than at the same time in 2004.

Mr Sturrock said the FCAI's forecast for the full year was set at a record 980,000 units, well ahead of the previous best of 955,229 set in 2004.

"There's no reason to expect car buyers will put the brakes on now," he said.

Toyota was the top selling company in September with 19,192 units ahead of Holden on 14,056 and Ford on 10,127.

Toyota also led the market on a year-to-date basis with 151,503 units, well ahead of Holden on 133,641 and Ford on 98,366.

Other strong performances in September came from Nissan, which outsold both Mazda and Mitsubishi with 5402.

Korean car company Hyundai also found favour with buyers and retailed 4800 vehicles, its best September result.

Top selling cars behind the leading three included the Toyota Camry (3357), Holden Astra (2982), Mazda 3 (2596), Toyota HiLux 4x4 (1861), Holden Ute (1694), Nissan Pulsar (1671) and Ford Territory (1634).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2005, 23:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Sept05: Corolla outsells Commodore and Falcon

Also Toyota’s HiLux 4x2 utility outsold the Falcon and Commodore utes.
Old 10-05-2005, 00:11   #3 (permalink)

how disapointing is this were the aussie car market is headed?
Old 10-05-2005, 00:41   #4 (permalink)
Experienced Ford Member

I don't understand why so many people are buying Corollas, they are an old model and there are heaps of small cars out there that are so much better. I think it came second last in Wheels 9 small car test. Do uninformed people just buy it on name alone?
bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 00:46   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
I don't understand why so many people are buying Corollas, they are an old model and there are heaps of small cars out there that are so much better. I think it came second last in Wheels 9 small car test. Do uninformed people just buy it on name alone?
Good resale value for some reason.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:05   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossxr8
I bought the car that came first, the Mazda 3 (Sp23 leather pack). Looked (briefly) at the Corolla Sportivo. Looked really poxy and required premium unleaded. There is a girl on the Mazda forums who bought a Mazda 2 without test driving it first. Then she went on the forum and asked if they were all as noisy as hers because she didnt like the noise it made.
Old 10-05-2005, 02:12   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIWGN
I agree.

Fords or Holdens for me but each to there own. Mind you I live in NZ and we love the aussie cars here. Infact I have never owned any other makes, thats just my thoughts though.
Gavin Conroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:06   #8 (permalink)
CK 302

Is it just me or are the new hiluxes, especially the 4x2 models just plain butt ugly. Someone tell me why you would buy a 2wd Hilux, which to me is still just a truck in handling and comfort terms, over a ford or holden ute? What are they boasting now? 330 Nm or something thereabouts, woohoo! Get in or get out of the way!
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2005, 03:08   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassman
Is it just me or are the new hiluxes, especially the 4x2 models just plain butt ugly. Someone tell me why you would buy a 2wd Hilux, which to me is still just a truck in handling and comfort terms, over a ford or holden ute? What are they boasting now? 330 Nm or something thereabouts, woohoo! Get in or get out of the way!
I reckon there tuff as!
Old 10-05-2005, 03:13   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PSIWGN
This has been engineered by the government, you know the fat cats from Canberra!!
They had a tarrif that will be completely diminished within 18 months to zero!
If your not sure what a tarrif is i will explain;
When xb's/xc's were new the government had a 20odd % (i think) tarrif which imported car manufacturers had to pay to make their vehicle available for sale in Aus, that has now diminished to around 5% and will dissapear over the next 18 months, the idea was to have our locally made cars, world class, which in the days of the xb they certainly were not however todays Fords etc are very much world class.
I work for a huge car parts manufacturer and our locally made cars are programmed to come from 52% of market share to around 35% in 10 years - Scared yet, well wait!
If the local manufacturers do not find export markets to penetrate they will be nothing but a holding yard for imports within ten years (Why do you think Holden have tried so hard to export the Monaro and Commodore models to Arabia and USA??)
Want the scary part??
Here it is, I know for a fact that Ford will release a Diesel variant of the 2007 Falcon as my company has been at the forfront of the diesel revolution for years, why diesel, simply because in a 65 Litre tank in the 4.0 Litre capacity (which will be a Turbo charged 3.2) you can expect about 950Kms out of a tank CITY DRIVING and 1150Kms COUNTRY!
Fordaus01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons