Simple Mods - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2003, 05:36   #1 (permalink)

Simple Mods

Has any one done before and after tests (dyno or 1/4 mile) for cheap mods like intakes,extractors , timing,ect?
XC351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2003, 06:18   #2 (permalink)
345kw of V8 Windsor Power

V8 or I6
EDXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 16:21   #3 (permalink)
do YOU have rubber?

Well I have dyno and 1/4 mile "before" values and have done CAI and K&N but as yet no "after" values. Sorry.
!Gn|T|0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 16:39   #4 (permalink)

Mods

It`s a bouncing baby 4.0
Old 06-17-2003, 18:27   #5 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

I haven't done dyno figures but I've felt the total lack of difference one brand + design of extractors made vs the very noticeable improvement a different brand + design made.

In short there are improvements to be had but you need to be careful what you get.
Old 06-17-2003, 21:22   #6 (permalink)
Village Idiot

Extractors are all very simular.
Ask a guy at a shop to lay some out next to each other and youll see what i mean.

Yet to dyno my car also
2nd EF GLi, 'custom' interior, extractors, exhuast
3rd EA Fairmont 5spd, low'd, extractors, exhuast, head
work, 3.45LSD, EL dash, interior+ El ECU
4th EB2 Fairmont, EL dash and interior, BBM, LSD etc etc
5th EB Fairmont Ghia 5L. All leather, lowered, exhaust etc
EFJase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2003, 22:18   #7 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Extractors can actually vary quite greatly in design and configuration - ie. they can have different diameter pipes, the primaries and secondaries can be different lengths and their configuration can vary - as in you can get 2 sets of 3 pipes that go into two larger ones or you can get 3 sets of 2 pipes that go into 3 larger ones (or straight into one large one) etc. etc.

As I said, some designs work but others don't - I have felt the immediate difference of changing one set of extractors which never did feel like they made any difference with another set which imediately made a NOTICEABLE difference! Rule of thumb I gather is that to actually feel a difference it needs to be something like 4 or 5 Kw?
Old 06-17-2003, 22:54   #8 (permalink)

EDFUTURA, What type do you have?
Old 06-17-2003, 23:39   #9 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

Quote:
Originally posted by EDFUTURA
Rule of thumb I gather is that to actually feel a difference it needs to be something like 4 or 5 Kw?

No offence, but what people feel is crap, what figures people get is fact.

Your 'feeling' that increase in power was probably totally psychological...
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2003, 02:55   #10 (permalink)
Australian Falcon Member

Nope - I'm an aircraft engineer (ie, somewhat analytical and critical) and have also done heaps of work on this car - some things have yielded noticeable result, others haven't - I trust my ability to "feel" whether there are actual results or otherwise.

As a matter of interest I never felt any improvement in power with fitting a K&N panel filter either - and when I replaced that with a pod inside the airbox I think there MIGHT have been a barely perceptible improvement - but not enough that I'd actually state that "it made an improvement".

I've also gotten a definite improvement in fuel economy with these new extractors - that's something both myself and my wife have seen, not just "perceived".

EB4ME - The extractors I've got now are Pacemakers with 402 stamped on the flange - don't know if that's any help? They have 2 sets of 3 primaries which go into 2 secondaries which then meet pretty much right at the flange where the rest of the system bolts on. I don't know what the other set were - they had 3 sets of 2 primaries going into 3 short secondaries that went into one at the joiner flange (that flange was up much closer to the side of the engine too - ie. as opposed to the Pacemakers which have the flange pretty much under the driver's feet) - they actually looked quite a bit better and more "business like" than these Pacemaker ones do - but right from the day I got them I felt no improvement whatsoever - but as I said, these Pacemakers did make an immediate and NOTICEABLE difference.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons