Simulated Indicator Operating Sound - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2004, 12:15   #1 (permalink)
My Neck Hurts....

Simulated Indicator Operating Sound

I am reporting my experience and thought that maybe someone else might try an experiment to see if they can duplicate it.

BA XR8, 5 Speed Manual, July 2003 build, ~37000km.

The other day I was going around a round-a-bout with the indicator on, and mid corner, my 80km 'low fuel' chime started up. While the chime was going off, there appeared to be no indicator noise, and it freaked me to the point of thinking that maybe the car had stalled mid corner. (It was in-gear, manual, 2nd gear, and I was still moving, but it's stalled on me so many times in a car park it was the first thing I thought of.)

So, could it be that the operation of the indicators is completely solid-state (no relays) and that the noise of the indicator is simulated so as to provide feedback to the driver that the indicator is on, using the same sound system as that used for the chimes?

I would be mighty impressed if that is the case, but I can't rule out the possibility that the chime coincided with the indicator sound and just drowned it out.

Would someone be willing to try this for me and report back?

Lukeyson
Luke Plaizier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2004, 14:14   #2 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

Re: Simulated Indicator Operating Sound

Yes the chimes all come from the same speaker thingy. Even when the seltbelt chime is beeping the indicator wont, and the fuel etc etc etc...
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2004, 14:46   #3 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Re: Simulated Indicator Operating Sound

I think the indicator noise is actually generated by a relay, not by a speaker, if you put your hand on the dash near the instrument cluster, you can actually feel the 'tick tock'

Apparently it is illegal to have silent indicators (because of the possibility of not noticing they are on)
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons