Speed sensitive power steering - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-06-2004, 17:55   #1 (permalink)

Speed sensitive power steering

I have this feature on my EL Fairmont Ghia. Im told that it is a similar technology that is on BMW's and Mercedes. Whilst i apprecciate it heaps when parking reversing etc, I find it harder to control when sliding in the wet, losing traction around a corner, because of the fact that when correcting a slide etc the steering strength varies with speedometer (which can go wild when losing traction). Whats everyone elses opinion on this feature?? Do ford still have it in the BA's?
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-06-2004, 20:30   #2 (permalink)

Re: Speed sensitive power steering

Maybe you should slow down a bit in the wet,that will solve your problems.
Cheers John

"FPV & XR Owners Club of Victoria"
If you have an XR6, XR8, T-Series or FPV vehicle (GTs) why not join.
Motorsport,Show n Shine,Cruise days,Factory tours,Special events
FPV and XR Owners Club of Victoria

www.fpvxrclub.com
Extra's Leather seats, Sunroof, Premium Sound, Satellite Navigation, Reversing Sensors,
GTP 320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2004, 22:14   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP 320
Maybe you should slow down a bit in the wet,that will solve your problems.
Cheers John
Im not talking about being totally out of control in the wet sliding around corners in busy traffic, all im saying is that with the speed sensitve power steering its harder to control in bad situations than a car with normal power steering, and wanna know if anyone else has the same opinion. Thanks for the driving tip tho
Blocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 21:07   #4 (permalink)

I've also noticed the exact same thing, especially going around round abouts in the wet.

Always seems to be just at that point where the rear starts wanting to slide that the damn "softer" mode kicks in also leading to a sudden over compensation.

It's easily recovered, but still a bit out of the blue and freaky the first few times.
Felklaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 22:48   #5 (permalink)
Mondeo Obsessed

We had an LTD that had it - it's nice in car parks, but takes a little to get used to in the wet........ you just need more practice!!!
Old 12-08-2005, 21:33   #6 (permalink)

Its been on falcons for years. My XE has it. Its just a pressure relief/bypass that lets go at a certain pressure, the reason it works at speed is because the pressure is built with engine rpm as is speed. They do take a bit to get used to, especially in the dirt.
Old 12-09-2005, 05:23   #7 (permalink)

Fortunatley,
they have adjusted the relief valve over the years to make them a bit heavier. I fitted an EB pump to my old mans 351 XFN, and now its very nicely balanced.

EA on, have a load sensor on the Rack, but this really has an effect at idle...esp when you pull full lock.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2005, 04:38   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blocko
I have this feature on my EL Fairmont Ghia. Im told that it is a similar technology that is on BMW's and Mercedes. Whilst i apprecciate it heaps when parking reversing etc, I find it harder to control when sliding in the wet, losing traction around a corner, because of the fact that when correcting a slide etc the steering strength varies with speedometer (which can go wild when losing traction). Whats everyone elses opinion on this feature?? Do ford still have it in the BA's?
Bit of messing around but increase the pully size by 15mm diam,,this slows pump down makes cut in point later
Mike75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons