Squeeking drive belt - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2005, 20:37   #1 (permalink)

Squeeking drive belt

Hey lads, posted this in tech but didn't get a response. Hoping someone here might have a suggestion.

I've got one helluva a squeeky drive belt when I start my XR6T from cold - it lasts for about 5 minutes. The dealer claimed that its because the belts are such good quality and they'd rubbed it with some sort of lubricant. According to the dealer this is a common problem and there's not much you can do about it but rub the lub in when you have it serviced. Unfortunately, the dealer's lub has made the problem worse.

Has anyone with a BA experienced the same issue (if its common). And has anyone got any home remedies? :)

Its quite annoying when you have a conversation about how good your car is and how much you like it... Then drive off making a squeeking noise

bobski is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-17-2005, 04:15   #2 (permalink)

Re: Squeeking drive belt

Hi, I had a squeeky fan belt a couple of weeks ago. On the way to the dealer the noise got louder and then turned into a rattle, just before No 1 big end bearing spun in the block. Mine is an XR8 though.
Only just made it to the dealership 30 km away. XR8 is still at the dealers.

The use of lubrication on belt is a big no-no, as slippage can occur and cause massive power loss, slippage and squeeking. They may be using belt grip, which is used to eliminate slipage, but is only a temp fix. Take it to another dealer for a second opinion if possible.
pete351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 06:42   #3 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Belt grip is a bigger no no than belt lube in a car (OK in staionery engine in clean environments). It will attract sand and dirt and cause accelerated wear of the belts and pulleys and if carelessly sprayed on will useually also get onto the pully bearing attracting sand and dirt there. Candle wax works best as belt lube if this really is the problem. Just buy a candle and rub it on the belt (CAUTION: unless you want to lose fingers don't be tempted to hold the candle against the belt with the engine running). I would be checking the pulley bearings or alternator bearings are not on their way out (NB careless use of engine degreaser can wash the lubricants out of the bearings causing premature failure).
Old 08-17-2005, 21:19   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussiblue
(CAUTION: unless you want to lose fingers don't be tempted to hold the candle against the belt with the engine running). I would be checking the pulley bearings or alternator bearings are not on their way out (NB careless use of engine degreaser can wash the lubricants out of the bearings causing premature failure).
Thanks lads! The dealer doesn't want to know about it obviously. And the lack of 'me too' replies seems to indicate that its not that common. I'll try the candle wax out though!

Candles.. is there anything they can't do???
Old 08-18-2005, 05:36   #5 (permalink)

Not too keen on the need for any lub on the belt but my AU11 has just started to make noises.(110 thou Km)
when my 94 EF did this I had to replace the belt idler tensioner wheels.
I was going to be cheap and do one but as you have to remove the whole assembly anyway, I did both.
One wheel was definately stuffed, you could feel the race grating when spun as you held it.
I took it (AU11) to dealer as was under 2nd hand warranty and he replaced the steering pump as he claimed the vanes were gone.
now warranty has expired and the damn noise is still there and is noticable from inside car with window down on a very cold start.
Noise diminishes when motor warms up but I still suspect those damn idler tension wheels.
one thing with belt squeal was it was very noticable on cars with power steering that was on near or all full lock applied.
Those effected had fixed belt adjusters unlike the sprung tensioners used on the Fords.
gordon_s1942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2005, 23:22   #6 (permalink)

I had the same problem. The dealer said it was wear and tear on the belt $90 for a new belt supplied and installed. I tried Belt Grip but now you can hear the problem from a block away and i have sticky s**t every where, attracting dirt. Think ill pay the $90.
03lpg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2005, 08:12   #7 (permalink)

G'day,
have had a little experience with this.

these belts grip best dry, due to thier rubber compound.

I would be looking at all idler pulleys first, as they are made by the cheapest bidder.

Also prone to failure is the belt tensioner itself.....it is spring steel and spring steel doens't like heat....ford engine bays are invariably the hottest.

If during service, your delear cleans the engine the makes it 'shiny' with armour-alll, this this is HIGHLY likely to be the source of your drama.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2005, 20:08   #8 (permalink)

confused Re: Squeeking drive belt

Mine didn't make any noise until last week when the water pump was replaced under warranty.
Now it squeaks nice and loud.

Booked in for next week along with the seat that sometimes (before being fixed for the 4th time) moved around under braking/acceleration, that it moves around all the time.
Old 08-29-2005, 22:47   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by supermono
Mine didn't make any noise until last week when the water pump was replaced under warranty.
Now it squeaks nice and loud.

Booked in for next week along with the seat that sometimes (before being fixed for the 4th time) moved around under braking/acceleration, that it moves around all the time.
Is it only when cold, or all the time? I'm interested in what they say/how they solve it seeing as they obviously caused it.
Old 08-31-2005, 16:34   #10 (permalink)

Pretty much all the time, noticeable from cold at idle.
Tends to be most noticeable when cruising below 2000RPM in top.
Probably because everything else is pretty quiet under those conditions.
I just had a look under the bonnet and it does seem to be shedding rubber from the front edge of the belt, not a lot but noticeable.
The water pump drives off the blind side so should easily effect alignment.
Noise would appear to be repetitive 'squeak' at about the same frequency as one rotation of the belt, not one rotation of the engine.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons