SR Vs XR6 NA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2004, 17:45   #1 (permalink)

SR Vs XR6 NA

Looking for a family car for the wife to drive mainly but also good on the open road for those fun family driving holidays :)

I have read a few of the other threads on here about the SR but out of the few that have bought them have you regreted going the SR over the XR6 ?

The 6 to 8 k saving is pretty attractive when you consider the differences

1. Lower diff ratio in the XR
2. Wider tyres for the XR
3. better looking body kit
4. Slighty better supension but you still get the sports supension in the SR juts not as low or stiff as XR

apart from that there is nothing the XR has that the SR can not match or do better

Given it is a family car the wider tyres dont matter to me nor do the lower diff ratio in the times of raising fuel prices

As to resale value from the NRMA site the operating costs that includes depcreciation etc is XR 195.51 per week and XT 180.06 over 3 years I guess it kinda balances out even though on worst case figures from redbook the 2002 xt has dropped about 45% and the XR has dropped about 30%

so looking for any comments from those who actully own the SR do you regret not getting the XR ??
AussieCJ7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-12-2004, 18:10   #2 (permalink)
The new one is here...

Re: SR Vs XR6 NA

XR for sure. Better looks (in and out), better handling (yet still smooth) and in the long term you WILL have better resale on an XR.

EL2 XR8, White, Auto, Completely stock and the best looking Falcon ever built...
Citric XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 18:37   #3 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

If you're an enthusiast or resale is the most important fact, get an XR. If all things are equal though and you just want a family hack, I'd probably say save your money and get an SR.

Mind you, if you've got little kids perhaps you should be looking at the Classic with the DVD system for the amusement of small menaces in the back seat.
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
RIP Sox.....

We had this same dilemma early this year, though with a second hand car, the AU series.

Do we chase an XR, or save 8k and go for the 'poverty pack' or save 5k and go for an 'S'?

As you rightly point our, there isn't a significant difference between them, and even less with the BA series. There is nothing you can't achieve with a XR that you couldn't do for less money with a lesser model.

The biggy is resale value and the looks - suspension, wheels, diff ratio, etc, can easily be sorted out, and at a significant saving. In the suspension department, you can mostly end up with a better handling car anyway, as the XR's whilst pretty decent, are still typical factory compromise between comfort and handling. BA's all have the same I6, so that isn't an issue.

In the end we went for the 'S', and have since upgraded the suspension, fitted exhaust/extractors, fitted 3.45:1 gears, and it had 18" wheels anyway, so in most ways it's is every bit as good as an XR, but with plain vanilla looks.

I doubt I'd buy a NA BA XR, as the differences are all too minimal, though I'm not worried about the 'image' surrounding XR's either.

Rick.
Soxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 19:44   #5 (permalink)
BA FALCON XR6™

You will find at the moment that you can get an XR6 for about $36,000 drive away with no options compared to $34,000 for the SR. If you ask me the XR6 is worth it just for the resale Factor alone.
FPV TURBO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 19:46   #6 (permalink)
RACE

Like everyone has said so far an XR6 will give a better drive, looks better, better resale and I would guess you may even be prouder driving an XR over the SR. The SR itself is great value and looks good in its own right and will most probably be enough to make you happy, but keep your eyes out for good deals on XR's as that could help you make a decision.
If you need anymore help or advice just send me a PM AussieCJ7.

Cheers.
Old 09-15-2004, 18:04   #7 (permalink)
It pays to be aboard FORD

One thing that every one has over look in the different department is that the XR front seats are much more nicer to sit in the the SR ones. My grilfriend want to buy a new Falcon but was in the same boat a SR or XR. After seating in XR & SR found the front seats much better in the XR. Just something to think about.

Dumb pc
AUIII XR8 Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 18:09   #8 (permalink)
ESP
V8 GT pilot

Go the SR,

Put some nicer wheels on it and dump it another inch.
You'd have an individual looking car with the same grunt factor and you'd still be $4K ahead....................
ESP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 20:20   #9 (permalink)
***.boostedfalcon.net

Yep, go the SR

-Dave-
AUII XR8 t/b & maf, ELGT snorkel
Lows
BA semi-manual shifter conversion
Electronic shift kit
4.11 Hydratrak LSD
AU thermofans
Explorer intake manifold
Contra 16x9 rims, rubber: 225(f)/245(r)
Custom cupholders
Chiptorque HP2 chip
illegal tint

ET: 14.78 @ 91.48mph, 137rwkw!
Ghia5L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 00:32   #10 (permalink)
Resident geek freak

I chose the SR
jemmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons