Strange noise when starting my XR8 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2007, 02:20   #1 (permalink)

Question Strange noise when starting my XR8

Hi all ,I have a 98 EL XR8 Series 2 that I have had for a about a month and absolutely adore it !!! The only thing that bothers me is everytime I start it cold it makes this strange noise that I've had three friends listen to and have had three different opinions. When sitting in the car it sounds like oil or fuel being sucked up into the motor and when out of the car it has a more sort of starter motor trouble type sound to it .As I said its only when starting when cold and only lasts for 2 or 3 seconds.When warm no noise. Can any of you in Ford Forum have any idea what it may be and whether I should panic. Thanks in advance Snaky
Snaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-03-2007, 03:05   #2 (permalink)

frown Re: Strange noise when starting my XR8

Has to be the starter motor! Parked my car and when I came back went to start it and same noise (as usual) but this time it cut out so I rolled it backward and put it in gear and tried starting again and it made the same noise but kicked over and started. But this morning same thing but because I was unable to roll foward or backward could not get it to kick over at all. What do you guys reckon? Snaky
Old 04-03-2007, 03:44   #3 (permalink)
CK 302

Re: Strange noise when starting my XR8

Im guessing starter motor too.
For about 2 years now mine has made a grinding/squeaking noise after starting for about a second or 2 and only when cold as well. I think it has something to do with the starter not disengaging properly, maybe you have same prob. Cant be too serious, after 2 years mine hasnt got any worse and sometimes it doesnt do it at all.
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2007, 18:16   #4 (permalink)

Thanks Bassman. Luckily it's under warranty and I just got back from the dealer just now and am dropping it in this afternoon and should be fixed by tomorrow (hopefully for the Easter long weekend).I wanted it repaired so I don't get caught out like I did yesterday when it got stuck.I'll have to wait and see if this gets rid of the noise and if it does I will reply to let you know.Thanks Snaky
Old 04-03-2007, 22:39   #5 (permalink)

Think we've nailed it down.Got a call from the auto electrician and it sounds like dry bushes in the starter motor.Hope this fixes it!!!! Snaky
Old 04-05-2007, 04:26   #6 (permalink)

Yep that was it! Dry bushes in the starter motor so I'm up and running again YOU BEAUTY !!!!!!!!! Snaky
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons