Suspension Upgrade/Questions - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-02-2004, 07:12   #1 (permalink)
Loco

Suspension Upgrade/Questions

Something isn't right on my baby, nothing is wrong with it, but it definately feels wrong. Today I heard a small clunk thing from the wheels, not to mention the bouncyness the ride feels (with type pressure checked).

I'm going to drop it into some place to get the rear left fixed (it's new, seems to have a leak, drops to 10psi every 2 weeks).

Anyways, Just got a couple questions. I've accepted I can't upgrade my car for another 5 years because no one will insure me with an XR6-T, so I'm going to have to accept her for a while.

Can anyone recommend a decent suspension upgrade? I want a more solid ride specially around corners and braking (atm, you can feel the car move on the brakes) Also plan to drop it as low as I can go too.

Will a suspension upgrade fix the problem of non-XR's where they have no control powering out of corners? Currently, drop your foot out of a corner, and you have no control what-so-ever.

Also, if I changed my rims, generally, are they transferable into other cars? Even non fords? Most likely I'll go a BA XR6-T, but if I went with r33 GTR could I still keep the rims? They'll be either 17" or 18" with low profiles.
Bangers is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2004, 06:41   #2 (permalink)
Loco

Re: Suspension Upgrade/Questions

bump.

Anyone?
Old 05-04-2004, 17:06   #3 (permalink)
Pursuit Reincarnation Dog

For a budget fix I pretty much never had any issues fitting a set of Monroe GT Gas shocks and a set of Kings Springs. I generally choose the lowered comfort option springs (C suffix on the P/N) because they're progressive rate and still firm enough. You haven't mentioned what model you have but front shocks are maybe $95 a side and rears $90 the pair. Springs shouldn't cost more than $130 anywhere so for just over $500 you'll have all new gear.

'General' Dog - AP's German Shepherd and Best Mate - 02Dec1998-15Dec2003.
'Pepper' Dog - General's and My Little German Shepherd Sweetie - 1996?-02Apr2006.

'Sako' Dog - My Beautiful and Pretty German Shepherd - 2001?-23Aug2006.
Aussie Pete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2004, 18:36   #4 (permalink)
Loco

It's a 2000 AU2 Falcon Forte.

Is it worth moving to GT Gas Shocks and King Springs (I assume both of these will lower my car 2"-3") if I have the stock 17" tyres on it? At the moment, the tyres are pretty big (well definately not low profile) so with such big profiles, will I notice a difference in roll around corners?
Old 05-05-2004, 17:42   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Generally wheels are not transferable to other cars outside of the same imediate family (even then not always or often).

Offset/wheel stud clearance etc etc generally differs greatly. There are a few odd times when they do meet up, ie, BMW 5 series and Holden commodores, you can put GTS rims onto a 530, or M5 rims onto a Holden executive station wagon.. its just freakishly weird.

Sometimes you might be able to get a fit by using wheel spacers. I personally wouldn't use them, I don't think they are legal.

BA/AU can't use E series wheels because of a change in offset.

GT gas shocks are generally ok, generally upgrading shocks and springs on any car will transform handling reguardless of wheel size.. GT depending on which one you get can get pretty firm (depending on your setup), so in corners it should be a fair bit flatter. If you want to go all out you can also get a thicker sway bar, new bushes etc to futher tighten handling.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons