Taking my BA to the States - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2006, 18:49   #1 (permalink)

Question Taking my BA to the States

I'm moving over to the States next year, and I'd love to take my BA XR6 with me - I've spent hundreds of hours on it and I really don't want to sell it, so I came up with this crazy idea of taking it on tour in the USA.
Has anyone done this before? Even better, is anyone currently in the US who would be willing to help?

The car currently conforms with all the DOT requirements, but I can't get figures on emissions requirements from the EPA. Any clues?
Blueprint, manual, custom quad (2x2) exhaust, 20" rims, custom engine bay mods, chrome tail lights, white/halide headlight conversion, boot lid carpet, Alpine Type-R sound system with DVD head unit, twin Pioneer 12" subwoofers, interior neons, powder coated front grilles, more to come (photos soon)

{power upgrades not listed }
xahh6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 07:22   #2 (permalink)

Re: Taking my BA to the States

The BF was built to the latest European Union emissions requirements, but not sure about the BA. Sorry I cant be more help.

If youve got a custom exhaust though, factory emissions readouts wont mean much anyway, youd need to get tests done.
Panadawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2006, 18:01   #3 (permalink)

Thanks panadown - I think it might be just a matter of getting a different catalytic converter - the standard BA one doesn't meet the requirements, but I've got no idea what one I need to get.
Blueprint, manual, custom quad (2x2) exhaust, 20" rims, custom engine bay mods, chrome tail lights, white/halide headlight conversion, boot lid carpet, Alpine Type-R sound system with DVD head unit, twin Pioneer 12" subwoofers, interior neons, powder coated front grilles, more to come (photos soon)

Old 09-26-2006, 00:12   #4 (permalink)
I <3 my XR6T

How about one from the BF?
loop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 05:24   #5 (permalink)

How long will you be stateside?

You will have registration issues in relation to RHD. Head lighting in relation to low-beam in particular will also be an issue, being RHD you will need to mask a portion of each headlight to prevent glare reflecting into oncoming traffic.

Visit the online DOT in the state you'll be based, download their driver manual to familarize yourself with the different driving reality.
AAMVA : Regions and Jurisdictions
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2006, 00:42   #6 (permalink)

Hello,

There are a number of Aussie Falcon's there already. It seems easier to register a RHD there than LHD here. XAXB Interceptor Have a look here, the owner is a good bloke. He has links that may help also.

Weazle
Weazle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 00:49   #7 (permalink)

Arrow Re: Taking my BA to the States

Thanks guys - I'm doing a bit more digging.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loop
How about one from the BF?
Thought about that - it turns out the US emissions requirements are even tougher than the EU requirements. I'll post the model numbers of anything I find that is suitable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
You will have registration issues in relation to RHD. Head lighting in relation to low-beam in particular will also be an issue, being RHD you will need to mask a portion of each headlight to prevent glare reflecting into oncoming traffic.
That's already sorted. I've had custom inverted headlight lenses made that I'll fit once I reach the states. California requirements state that I must have the necessary headlight modifications to make the car roadworthy.

I'll post more info when I can - and I'll get onto the interceptor mad max bloke too.

Old 10-02-2006, 05:53   #8 (permalink)

What happens when you finally get the car registered over their, you go to take it around the block for a drive and the shit heap dies in the middle of town. You wont be doing ford any justice.

Make sure you take a lot of spares, a trusty old shifter(adjustable spanner), fuel tin and box of matches a must!!

Good luck
jpaterson81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 01:22   #9 (permalink)

Shit heap? Die?
Not likely.

Importing parts is the easy bit - it's importing the car itself that is the problem.
The shifter already has a home in the boot - not sure where to hide those matches, tho...

Old 10-09-2006, 03:56   #10 (permalink)

biggrin Re: Taking my BA to the States

Quote:
Originally Posted by xahh6
Shit heap? Die?
Not likely.

Importing parts is the easy bit - it's importing the car itself that is the problem.
The shifter already has a home in the boot - not sure where to hide those matches, tho...
Take it over there and make em drule go aussie
gl351xd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons