Talking to the BA's computer bus - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-16-2004, 14:36   #1 (permalink)

cool Talking to the BA's computer bus

After yesterday we again have smiling people around the office.
We struggled for a while to get a reliable simplified interface for data logging from automotive CANbus systems. This is the network now commonly used for data transfer between ECUs in the motor industry.

The attached picture is RPM, speed and throttle position straight out of the diagnostic port of my BA Ghia. Data was being acquired every 50mSec and logged 20 times per second. Next step is to add additional sensors for traditional data and extract more CANbus data to prove the overall flexibility of the system.

When that is proven, I thought I might ask for somebody with a seriously quick BA to 'plug in and put out'. We can log almost anything from the carís systems including independent wheel speeds, so a big rolling burn out (with donut) would give some pretty (data) pictures.

No I'm not trying to sell any of this via the forum (we do already supply the basic logger to Ford among others) just thought a few forum members would be interested.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg BA_CAN1.jpg (79.3 KB, 146 views)
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 07:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: Talking to the BA's computer bus

This is exactly what we're trying to do. Can you tell me how you connected to the vehicle CANbus? If you could spell out the details such as where the connector is and what type of connector, I would appreciate it very much. Also, what type of vehicle were you using? I'm new to this and do not understand all the acronyms just yet. Thanks.
SwRI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2005, 01:55   #3 (permalink)

Re: Talking to the BA's computer bus

Things have moved on a bit since my original post and we are close to release for interface used. On a BA Falcon (or Terry) the diagnostic connector is located under the panel in front of your right knee.
Another connector is available on the left hand side but that is not really suitable for use by other than the OEM (Ford).
We have built a very flexible interface that can handle two CAN ports plus GPS input and output filtered and scaled text data to a PC or better still to our data logger (which was the main reason in the first place).
In excess of 1000 measurements are available from the vehicle via this port.

Reverse engineering of the CAN data is possible using this interface.

Currently in prototype use under trial by a number of manufacturers in Australia.

I'll post the details when it goes production.

If you have an aftermarket application (dyno use or similar) and want to look at getting involved send contact details by PM.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons