Test drove a XR6T, still not sure - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-07-2004, 18:34   #1 (permalink)
Ford Member

Test drove a XR6T, still not sure

Well yesterday afternoon I went for the test drive I had booked in over the internet. Meeting with our very helpful sales guy, he had no issue with us driving either the turbo or the Ghia. Our choice was easy, one auto XR6T, citric acid, with premium sound, no leather tho. Jesus, I have been in a BA before, but never a 8 or a turbo, never driven one, they are extremely quick.. Theres no wanting for anything quicker, plant your foot and silly speeds arrive to a glorious sound track, part muscle car, part technophile turbo that you could just pick up in the background. The build up through a gear was addictive. Its also the first time I got to use a SSS gearbox, worked really well. It felt really strong espically above 2000 rpm.. Have to make a big change in driving habits if we get this car, otherwise we will have no licence.

However I was disapointed in the seats, 4 way power, but definately not for forwards and backwards. They were comfy enough, however they added a very racey feel to inside the cabin.

Premium ICC was nice, never really got in all the menus. One day I promise to find all the functions. I notice that all the ICC ive seen have been grey/white background through the menus, yet I notice ford have black background ones in promotional pictures. Like on the cover to the Luxury pack booklet. I wonder how you get that, they look much classier and not something I programmed in BASIC in 4th grade.

I sat in the back, room was adiquate, but with all of us in the car would be fairly tight, I'm 6'7 ~130kg, my brothers are 6'6 110kg 6'5 100kg my old man is 6'4 ~120kg. Certainly better than a LS400, no where near as insane as the Statesman, its not a car, its a lounge room. Better than 5 series BMW (the old one, haven't been in a new one). While driving, it reminded my brother of arriving in frankfurt, germany serveral (~10) years ago, and getting into our uncles 540, and 250 kmph though peak hour traffic while holding a conversation.

Both my brother and I had a quick blast, we totally sold on the ride, handling, power, sound and performance. All top notch.. Very composed even on some of windsor roads construction areas, suprised, it rode maybe better than the statesman. Quite quiet except on the gas.. But the sound was quiet pleasing so no problem really.

On the way back to the dealership the car started to blow a bit of smoke, the sales guy blamed the fact the car was new (which it was 30km), we did drive it pretty hard, losing traction several times while driving, reach the limiter in a few gears.. Still, hmmm..

However I still think a Fairmont Ghia Turbo would be a entirely diffrent case. Fairmont Ghia man doesn't have to pull a lever and wiggle his butt to move a chair, Fairmont Ghia man doesn't have to pour over the option list to see if its even possible to get what he wants. Fairmont Ghia man doesn't want his car in Vixen or Citric acid, he wants to look sharp, not outragous. Wheres the seat memory, wheres the full leather seats.. Wheres the rear cup holders and center arm rests? Do I get curtain airbags standard?

I suppose to some they could not see the the point of a Fairmont Ghia.. If you have been in one for years the get into a optioned up XR you will miss a few bits here and there. Biggest things are the seats aren't full electric for me. Because everytime I get into a car, I have to adjust the seat. If four or more people drive this car at diffrent times, thats a great deal of adjusting.

I think the XR looks are something most people can adjust to, they look good, but there are plenty of XR's on the road, hell, I've seen XR taxis. These days standard BMW's look more shocking. But XR in blue pearl, or luscious or offshore? No way.. At the moment we are thinking Mercury Silver, Lightning strike or Havest green.

However I think we can live with a optioned up T and remove the turbo badging. However our experience has shown us that XR6T does not equal Ghia. Either does Ghia equal XR6T. Ford would have a extremely convincing product if they combined the two.

A Ghia Turbo, with the XR6T mechanicals, Ghia interior, maybe some more options. However Im sure that would put it out of our price range.. How about a luxury pack with Ghia seating as a option including 6 way power seats.
IPhido is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-07-2004, 18:42   #2 (permalink)
Go Nuts in Your Falcon

Re: Test drove a XR6T, still not sure

Nice little write up you have made there. Sounds like you have a hard decision to make. My brother has had an EA Fairmont Ghia, El Fairmont Ghia, an AU XR8 220 with leather interior, now he has an XRT without leather. He has slowly but surely reduced the amount of creature comforts he has had in his car. His reason, and I quote, "all that shit adds extra weight for no reason". LOL. I must say though, the El Ghia was an awesome ride. But so is the XRT, and I understand where you are coming with the mixing of the two classes. That would be an awesome combo. Altho, why not wait around for an f6 typhoon, it should be pretty luxurious.

As for the smoke, that is normal, as it happend with my bro's new Turbo. Must be some coating on the inside of the exhaust, it's quite embarrassing to have a new car do that, but it goes away quite quickly.

Paul
FordACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 19:02   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

That's some write up, but why not consider the 8 in the Fairmont Ghia.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 19:04   #4 (permalink)
Can't wait for Winton...

Nice review. Hmm, they've got the XR Luxury Pack, I wonder if they could do a Fairmont Ghia with Turbo Pack???
outback_ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 20:23   #5 (permalink)

IPIDO wrote
I notice that all the ICC ive seen have been grey/white background through the menus, yet I notice ford have black background ones in promotional pictures. Like on the cover to the Luxury pack booklet. I wonder how you get that, they look much classier and not something I programmed in BASIC in 4th grade.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

IPhido
The black screen you talk about comes on when you turn the head lights on so it doesnt blind you in the dark.
Hellrazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons