Is there a model gap?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-04-2002, 16:39   #1 (permalink)
Phantom XR6T

Smile Is there a model gap??

I was just wondering if there is a model gap in the XR line up?
Personally I wanted a XR6 Turbo with Fairmont dash, or a fairmont Turbo motor for a bit of extra stonk over V8 option. The other model gap I was thinking about was the fact that you can't get the Barra 220 V8 with the XR body kit. I mean you could fit it in between NA XR6 and XR6 Turbo maybe call it an XS8 and have it as a better looking equivilant of the SV8. What do other people think??
Advertisement

Old 11-04-2002, 17:44   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

I thought the XR6T did have a similar interior to the Fairmont? But it would be nice to see a few niche models - maybe a manual V8 Ghia. :)

Overall, though, I thought that Ford's problem is the opposite. Too many models! Models like the base XR6 and the Futura are squeezed in between a surprisingly upmarket XT and the Fairmonts. Not to mention the XR6's lack of straight-line performance advantage...

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:42   #3 (permalink)
****in Flat Out Racing

Re: Is there a model gap??

Quote:
Originally posted by suttoinc
I was just wondering if there is a model gap in the XR line up?
Personally I wanted a XR6 Turbo with Fairmont dash, or a fairmont Turbo motor for a bit of extra stonk over V8 option. The other model gap I was thinking about was the fact that you can't get the Barra 220 V8 with the XR body kit. I mean you could fit it in between NA XR6 and XR6 Turbo maybe call it an XS8 and have it as a better looking equivilant of the SV8. What do other people think??
I'd like to see the 240T as an option in the XT (or any other model) You could option the Turbo Nissan in the VL in any model, including SL.

Ditto for Boss260. I'd LUURRRVVVE a 260 in the humble XT. Someone was mentioning sleeper in another thread.. This is your baby.
FFOracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 03:45   #4 (permalink)
disarm you with a smile

yeah i think all the engines should be optionable for each car.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:52   #5 (permalink)

How hard would it be for Ford to make all those options. They can't keep up as it is, imagine offering four engines on one model. It wouldn't be practical.
Chinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 05:09   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

Well for once I think Ford have got it right.

Why should they offer the 240T engine or the Boss 260 in an XT?

If you want one then pay the dollars and get one - hardly makes sense for Ford to disenfranchise the owners who do buy them by giving the good bits away to an XT punter.

The entry level XR is a salary sacrifice / fleet upgrade package that has been priced very competitively. That's what it should stay.

The Fairmont and Futura range has been deliberately set into the comfort end of the market and thus apart form a unique sportier IRS for the Fairmont they are being differentiated from the "X" series cars by the lack of engine options. Good thing too.

Personally I can't see any gaps apart from tiny little niches that aren't worth the trouble for the few sales they generate.

Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2002, 22:07   #7 (permalink)
Future Art Student™

Wink XR8 220

Quote:
Originally posted by suttoinc
The other model gap I was thinking about was the fact that you can't get the Barra 220 V8 with the XR body kit.
How about this model lineup?

XR6 - Barra 182 - $40k - 'Base' XR6 model
XR6 Turbo - Barro 240T - $44k - 'Premium' XR6 model
XR8 - Barra 220 (XR6 w/ V8) - $45k - 'Base' XR8 model
XR8 Boss - BOSS 260 - $52k - 'Premium' XR8 model

That way there is a base and premium model for each XR, and Ford can market them as either All XRs, or focus on the premium models. Also, the XR8 Boss is the 'hero' BA, or it will be next year, and it should have a 'premium' name. Dear Ford, Is it too late to change the BA XR8 and add BOSS badges?
An XR8 220 may be added later, now that the XR6T has had, and the XR8 Boss 260 will have, their respective moments in the sun.
One more thing, some people may think that the XR6T and the XR8 220 prices are too close, but the hypothetical 220 is hypothetically just a base XR6 with the V8, which is a $5k option on other models, which is why it is $5k more than the XR6 182.

Anyhoo, that's just my 2.2 cents worth (including GST).
XR8Rebel2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2002, 08:00   #8 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

I agree it'd be nice to have a V8 manual fairmont, the car I always wanted was an EL Ghia Manual V8, I'll spare you the options list but it's not practical for Ford to produce manual Ghias etc anymore as they would only be sold in minute quantities
Old 11-06-2002, 19:56   #9 (permalink)
Still Here! Barely...

XR8rebel2001, why would you want to pay $1000 more for a 220kw V8 Xr that would be as fast while you can have a 240 kw XR that would whoop its ass?
I agree with Russellw, its a good line up. And alo teh reasonw hy you cant get the Boss engine in the XT is the fact the would also have to replace the bonnet aswell, and it would be weird having a huge bonnet bulge on an XT.

Proud DUAG member!

Under a smidge bit of construction - *http://au.geocities.com/crystalized13/*
fordchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons