• Only One

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Yes but just mislabelled NA's

Votes: 1 11.1%

Is there an NB Fairlane?

10K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  Aussiblue 
#1 ·
For those that asked in the garage forum:

I don't know anymore if there is an NB Fairlane but that's what's on my car's compliance plate and it's what John Hughes had it advertised as before I bought it.

My Fairlane has a mix of NA, NA II and NC parts in it and used to belong to Ford Product Engineering and all its parts (from the computer module to the fan to the placky hubcaps on the mags)are labelled in beige paint "MV-1" and although made in June 1989 (before the 4 speed autos were officially 1st produced in August 1989) it has a factory 4 speed (and the VIN plate has the "W" 4 speed auto code).

I emailed the Discovery Centre and Discovery Girl's colleague Adrian Ryan looked into it and is emphatic there were no NB Fairlanes. He also said: "As I have said - there is no record of your particular car. Lots of strange things happen to cars during the pre-production builds and product development. You must realise that we are talking about a car that was possibly changed several times during the development phase. I have no further explanations for you - sorry"

He also said: "As I said earlier, the only real surprise is that one of these vehicles got sold to the public as it doesn't comply with what Ford was advertising for sale at the time!"

So perhaps this car is more unique than I first thought.

I got a similar reply from Ford when I first bought the car in 1994 and the Ford dealers said there was no such car when I tried to buy parts. When I first contacted Ford then, they said that VIN number wasn't on their computer system. I thought I might have got stolen renumbered car but at that time Ford rang me back a few days later and said something like "as it had been built by new products engineering and hadn't been entered on the system (but the said they would add it then). " They also told me that I would have no problems with parts as it simply had a mix of NA, NA II and NC parts (they were right about that parts buying can be a lottery for some bits) - essentially giving me an assurance that I need not worry about the integrity of the car or getting parts.

It seems that according to Ford now my car doesn't exist. But I have attached a snap to prove otherwise.You have to think the NA II was going to be an NB at some point as the Ford mag wheel identification poster you find at your Ford dealers parts counter shows wheel labelled "NB Fairlane" and another "NB Sportsman."

Titan Ford have also said that they have found some annotaions on their computerised parts catalogue systems referring to a NB Fairlane. They have also said it's the only Fairlane they have seen with NB on the compliance plate.

When I ensured it the RAC said that they thought that Ford had sold a number of similar development cars in WA at the same time (1993). The handbook shows Ford had the car from 1989 to 1992 (well it was serviced by Ford Products Engineering up to May 1992). It also appears to have been retrimmed before sale as the upholstery carries a 1992 stamp.

I would certainly be interested if any one else knows of a Fairlane with "NB Fairlane" indicated on the compliance plate.

See less See more
#2 ·
BTW

a) If anyone in WA want to see the car and eyeball the compliance plate I can arrange a meeting somewhere. You might also be able to help identify the cause of the tip in stumble if it's not fixed by then.

b) If anyone can give me some hints on how to successfully photograph a compliance plate with a cheap digital camera I'll also post a pic of that. I just get either a reflected silver square or illegible print; I suspect the camera's not up to it.

#3 ·
Aussiblue said:
If anyone can give me some hints on how to successfully photograph a compliance plate
If your camera allows you to set the exposure time then try it without the flash but with a longer exposure time. Make sure the light is such that it doesn't reflect into the camera. I've never tried it so I have no idea if it will work but it can't hurt to try... :s4

#5 ·
your car sounds similar to the EB2 I saw at auction once, it was complete EB2 stock as a rock white 4.0lt gli, however was dated early 1991, the car it was parked next to at auction was slightly newer and was an EB1, I looked up the books and that also belonged to the Ford motor company. Also something people might be able to clear up for me, I am willing to bet my lefty that the last few months of the EL actually had AU engines in them.

#6 ·
OK, here's the Dodgy Brothers suggestion:

Grab some carbon paper and place it over the plate and roll over it with something hard so that it makes an imprint onto the plain paper (like the old credit card slide thingies). Then just either scan in or photograph the paper with the imprint, flip it on the computer so the writing's the right way round and voila!

It might work... hehehehehe

#12 ·
Yes, I belive it does but it shouldn't. Ford made them but weren't supposted to sell them, demo cars or something.

But if you ring around insurence companys, NRMA especially, ask them how much to insure a NB Fairlane, see if they have it on there books. lso you'll find that at the same time FoMoCo bought out a DB LTD!!!! :)

VERY INTERESTING.........

#14 ·
HYBRID

I am willing to bet my lefty that the last few months of the EL actually had AU engines in them.

I was actually enqiring about this at the True Blue Ford site this morning. I am trying to find out what date they began doing this, and if it was continuous until the end of the EL.

I would also like to find out if it's worth getting one of these rather than the normal run!!

#18 ·
My wife was at Titan Ford today picking up some parts and they mentioned that a lot of the genuine Ford parts themselves (i.e. heater hoses) were labelled as NA to NB or NB to NC so it seems some parts of the Ford empire acknowledge the model exists. They said the thought of her as ours was the only NB they had seen. They also had another look at the compliance plate as well. Of course it may be the suppliers are labelling them thus for Ford as a few aftermarket suppliers certainly list parts for an NB.

#21 ·
YOu forgot your officially FF endorsed(tm) thread mining hat(tm). You could hurt yourself if other threads fall on you while you're down there.

#22 ·
I can't believe you have a prototype. These are not supposed to be sold to the general public and are usually destroyed. As for the EL motor they are all hybrids. It was basically an updated EF motor with parts that were a cross between EF and AU, such as the crank. I believe it was actually the first falcon six to pass the 500 hour full rev durability test without snapping the crank, and the only large capacity Ford motor to pass the test as it was really designed for high revving four cylinders such as the Cosworth motors.

#23 ·
(used xf symbol coz there's none for an xe!) :mad:

My old XE had an XD engine in it, but came with the XE carby setup. It was one of the first 82 models so it had some carry-overs in it. Just thought everyone would like to know that :p

-Dave-

G
#24 ·
BOF said:
your car sounds similar to the EB2 I saw at auction once, it was complete EB2 stock as a rock white 4.0lt gli, however was dated early 1991, the car it was parked next to at auction was slightly newer and was an EB1, I looked up the books and that also belonged to the Ford motor company. Also something people might be able to clear up for me, I am willing to bet my lefty that the last few months of the EL actually had AU engines in them.

yep sure do. I have seen a few EL's tagged with EL98b and EL98c on the rego sticker and they have the same rocker covers as the AU motors and similar numbers on the blocks.

I was told the later EL's were used as test for the AU motor.

#25 · (Edited)
I still have the car and I have since confirmed that it was the only NB badged Fairlane made, and the first Australian made Ford fitted with the 4 speed BTR automatic. And yes, as Adrian Ryan the late Ford official historian confirmed, as a prototype it was meant to be destroyed. I was "accidentally" saved from being scrapped as during an around Australia test drive in was left at Sun City Ford in Geraldton Western Australia with a blown head gasket but was repaired and sold when Ford were seriously considering exiting Austria circa 1990 and decided to sell off all surplus assets including this car.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.