Ford Forums banner

Thermostat housing weeping...

3K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  scottc 
#1 ·
Hey guys,

did a radiator flush this afternoon, and have noticed some weeping/dripping from the bottom of the themostat housing. Would this be because the t/stat is not sitting properly? I have tightened the bolts a fair bit and didnt want to crank them too much incase possible break (just didnt want to go there!).

I also put a new gasket on the t/stat, so that should be ok. I just had the feeling that the actual t/stat might have slipped doen a fraction as I was doing up the bolts on the housing. Anyone come across this?

Cheers,
scott.

#2 ·
Did you put some gunk on the housing b4 the gasket?

I just done mine, & every time I do one (any make of car) I gunk the recess b4 the 'stat goes in, then gunk for the gasket. I make my own gaskets for this, cardboard from a weeties box is fine. Don't forget to gunk the head... DON'T OVERGUNK -- it leaves chunks in the coolant which you really don't need.

You're right about not overtightening -- that only gets stripped threads & cracked housings.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.