Things that go CLUNK in the night - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2003, 01:32   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

Things that go CLUNK in the night

1) Ok, I start up my car.. take off, CLUNK

under either soft or hard acceleration, seems to be connected to how I steer too.

It only does it from a stop.

eg. When I was going up my driveway, I turned my steering wheel quite a bit and accelerated briefly a decent ammount and it made the noise. I was facing up hill if that makes a difference at all.

2) When I start up my car I get a high pitched wine until I give it a few revs.. Tranny? Belts?

3) Where do I add trans fluid (4 spead Auto)
4) Can I mix trans fluid or do I have to flush it?

5) Have a good day
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-14-2003, 01:57   #2 (permalink)
Phat Drift Damage Victim

1) Where is the noise coming from, like does it sound like its coming from the back, the front. Can you feel it through the steering wheel?

2) More than likely its you're belts, check the tension of them and tighten them if necessary. If they're tight try getting some dry lube on them

3) You fill it up through the dipstick tube

4) It's ok to add new fluid to the old fluid as long as its the same stuff
Stock as a Rock for the moment

TQE's
XplodEd EA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 02:00   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

1) The front.. Definitly the front
2) Will do.. how tight are they supposed to be?
3&4) I don't know what kind is in there at the moment, thats the problem too
5) Have a good night
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Old 03-14-2003, 05:48   #4 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

Steering rack mounts loose. Rubber bushes where the rack bolts in and cheap and easy to replace.
Old 03-14-2003, 06:17   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Yep, i agree with Aussieblue, mine keeps coming loose and does exactly the same thing, clunk on takeoff.
Also maybe check your front control arm bushes incase they are worn also, which would cause the wheel/s to move backwards or forwards when braking and taking off.
9psi EB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2003, 07:13   #6 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

Thanks for the help, I'll check that in the morning...

Know if its possible to mix tranny fluid or do I have to flush it? I read the How To on here before, but I think its a bit out my league, I might pay the 120$ for a service :|
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Old 03-14-2003, 10:42   #7 (permalink)

Castrol TQ-95 is the one.

If the fluid is sort of more black than red, best to change it all. A trans service only changes part of it. If you want a Transmission Flush for Dummies read this one.

http://www.fordmods.com/

Doesn't even require a spanner.

If you got an EL onwards, your'e outta luck, no dipstick.
Old 03-14-2003, 17:06   #8 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

W00T! I have a EB .. easy way..

Thanks for all the help, hopefully I'll have her purring again by the afternoon :)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons