Thinking of buying a wrecked EF - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2003, 12:11   #1 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Thinking of buying a wrecked EF

G'day all,

I have been doing some thinking, and am tempted to get my hands on a wrecked EF from the auctions later in the year or early in the new year, and I'm wondering if any other Melbourne members are interested in being involved? The reason behind this is that I only want a small handful of parts, but I don't particularly wish to go through wreckers, and I suspect the cost of buying through Ford would be even higher.

Currently, the plan is to buy a low km EF GLi with rear or side crash damage. Even after I've taken what I want, there should be an EF immaculate dash, interior, engine, 4 speed transmission, 3.08 28 spline diff, etc, which will be available for whoever wants it.

My goal with this exercise is to upgrade a number of minor components in my EA. These include front fans, a possible serpantine belt conversion, alternator, air box (but not the dual-length manifold), radiator, wipers, camshaft (whoever buys the engine will need to track down an alternative unless they are happy with an EA cam ), things like oil/water/fuel pumps, starter motor, seat belts, etc. I'll even take the roof if I can. The bottom line is that When it's all added up, a whole car would be desirable, even though I don't need the major items.

I am aware that EFFalcon is looking into a similar idea so we could work something out between us. Either way, the idea of a 'club wreck' has been on the cards for some time, and soon I'll be ready to go through with it. I suppose we would each pay a percentage of the EF's total cost, which would depend on what parts we are wanting.

As for the price, I haven't begun to look yet - but I do know that some forum members bought an AU XR6 VCT with a good engine for $2000 from the auctions - and that was early last year when the AU was a current shape car.

So, who would possibly be interested? :s5

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-27-2003, 12:18   #2 (permalink)
elghia looking like blue

Re: Thinking of buying a wrecked EF

i would be very interested, but im looking at getting an ef or el xr6 caus i want a manual, but i havent made my mind up yet, but yeh im very interested

either way i need a new transmission whether its auto or manual

eafairmontghia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 13:13   #3 (permalink)
1.3 Kilometers per Litre

EFFalcon and I went to the Pickles auction in Tullamarine to try and get our hands on an EF Ghia. The problem was, almost every newer model car was being competitively bid for, unlike some Telstars and Magnas that sold for $50.

The EF we were interested in had relatively few salvageable parts as it had been sitting submerged in muddy water for a fair while (we were interested in the interior and rear brakes).

They tried to start the bidding at $500, but dropped the starting bid to $100 and someone jumped. Within about 20 seconds the winning bid was announced at $600!

We then went down to Fowles to have a poke around and found that they had some good stuff ie EF XR6, EF Fairmonts... but the auction was next day so we didn't stick around for it.

A good option for buying damaged cars, if you want to try a group effort, would be Broadford Car Sales. The owner travels to Sydney and does the auctions up there so most of the cars are actually in better condition because of their roadworthy laws up there. He charges pretty reasonable prices, and will hunt down a particular vehicle if you require it.

Some of these cars are on the website:
broadfordcarsales.com.au

I'm still interested if other people are willing!

My other car is an M113

SWB's
Vandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 13:57   #4 (permalink)

good idea a club wreck...

i'd be in it but im in qld...
cars are a lethal weapon,your not invinsible when you get into one,and no matter how much skill you think you have,you are never in control you are always on the edge of death it may not happen today but if you keep driving like you do,you too will end up dead!
hoon69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 14:36   #5 (permalink)
NZ
feed me hey

Hi Jack,

I'd definitly be interested. I wouldnt mind getting the interior, and all the looms out of one. If it were a GLi Id take it but if it was a Fairmont or something Id let John have dibs on it. Depending on the price and condition of the engine and trans Id lookat that also. If I got the engine I'd want the ancillaries to be attatched though so it may not suit you.
Old 10-27-2003, 14:47   #6 (permalink)
EFXR62

If you happen to come accross an EF Manual, I'll happily take the manual transmission.

As for being involved with a club wreck, there's not much i'd want, really. Unless it was a Manual XR6 or something.. Then i'd need the ECU and Transmission.

Cheers,
Yagz
Old 10-27-2003, 15:54   #7 (permalink)
BA'o'Matic 100% working.

I would be very interested in the boot carpet and associated bits, and the gas struts for bonnet and boot if they will fit an ea.

Dellboy999

"So long and thanks for all the fish!"

Last edited by Dellboy999; 10-27-2003 at 15:57.
Dellboy999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 20:09   #8 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I had this idea ages ago Jack Back then nobody was interested so it didn't go ahead :(

I don't need anything now but if I do I'll let you guys know.

Sundeep
Sundeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 20:52   #9 (permalink)
E-Series Acting VP

Sounds like a great idea, Jack!

Unfortunately, all of the bits I'd want (serpentine belt stuff, airbox, wipers, etc.) you've already got dibs on...

I might be able to find a couple of other people interested in some small items here and there, though.

Cheers,
Dave

Thanatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2003, 21:34   #10 (permalink)

ok guys, i'm planning on buying an EF/EL Fairmont Ghia within the next 2 months (if all goes well)
most pieces i'm after are interior related.
i'm after leather seats, power window regs, maybe door trims, centre console, maybe some lights and stuff.

I've been to the Pickles auctions for the past few weeks getting some prices, today i wish i had $4000, i NICE EF II Fairmont Ghia went for $4000, had a high hit to the left front, engine was fine, as was everything bar the 1/4 panel and bonnet. it had full tickford body kit. tickford alloys, the lot.
the GLi's seem to go for approx $1000-2000 depending on damage, aint seen one for for over that yer.

An EL Fairmont With nice 17" mags went for $2300 (stat write off) last week, which i took note of.

I'm going to be looking for an EF/EL Fairmont Ghia, and i beleive a stat write off should be able to be had for AROUND $2000, which i'm fine with.
Bass Crazy has shown interest in an Engine and trans if i were to get one, but how interested he is, i'm unsure.

Maybe we'll need to get 2 cars :D

keep me informed, coz i'm deffinately getting a car from auctions.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons