For those with the Helix/Vortex spacer thingy - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2004, 02:15   #1 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

For those with the Helix/Vortex spacer thingy

Funny thing happened to me this afternoon, I was cruising along, almost at my destination and experienced a loss of power. Looked at the dash and a light was flashing or lit up which normally isn't. Not good I thought. Tried to make it to a nearby carpark but no good, had to wait for someone and I slowed right down and the beast died on me. In a REALLY bad and awkward position. On go the hazards, which I don't remember ever using before and I'm spewin' but then I remember cars these days and especially these are pretty digital. So I started it up and she was fine, as is the case with a lot of running problems. Phew, parked, did my stuff and got back to work.

I looked up the fault and it was the light for the throttle and it of course said to see your dealer asap. I happen to be going to the dealer on Monday so I rang my service guy when I got back to let him know to expect this issue.

Of course they know my car and straight away I'm reminded that "you've modified your throttle body" cause I have the Herrods Helix spacer. I'm hugely sure that the spacer has nothing to do with it and the problem may never even happen again but they mention the letter Ford sent out about modified cars recently, blah, blah, blah.

What kind of simple mod is the Helix spacer? It's a GOOD one, it's not like I stuffed a sock up there and now am having trouble. Anyway, I've had mine in since early Feb I think, for those that one one I'm just wondering if you've ever had that throttle light come up and how long you've had it. Hell, if you don't have one and the light has come up, that would be good to know.

Thanx

Vic

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Genebaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-07-2004, 02:40   #2 (permalink)
X-DM!!

Re: For those with the Helix/Vortex spacer thingy

I am sure it wouldn't have anything to do with the helix. I did read a while back that the drive by wire throttle bodies on the BAs did have a few problems......and I am sure it was on a XR8...Some guys experianced stalling and some just no throttle.
rod c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 03:02   #3 (permalink)
When 2 T3s are not enough

My young blokes BA V8 hads the light coming on so I rang ford and its the fly by wire thingy, the car is very snappy to drive, its stalling or its smoking the bags, you cant drive smoothly, so its going for warranty soon.....Hope this helps......
Street machine Feb 2002
TE50T3 Remember the GTHO? well your getting close.
Motor mag Jan 2002

Wouldn't you love to say that about your car?You loosers
Noboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 05:05   #4 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

I'm sure it's the not the Helix too, but it's the first thing they'll blame. Maybe an ECU flash? Mine is from October and hasn't been done before as far as I know....

I've just remembered I've got after market air in my tyres, I'll have to ask Rod how he gets any warranty work done....ha ha...

Venom BA XR8 - 5spd - Leather - Premium Sound - 18"s - King Springs-SSL/SL - DBA Slotted Rotors & Ferodo pads
D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Old 05-07-2004, 05:08   #5 (permalink)

Just bring you venom shirted friend <------<-----along and im sure the service manager will see your way

I cant see how the helix spacer would cause any problems though unless its caused the wiring to stretch too far.
Old 05-07-2004, 05:42   #6 (permalink)

The wires going to the throttle bodie are fairly tight so you have to make shore that there is enough room when you put the spacer in, I've got about 1" of slack AFTER putting the spacer in

My Car
shane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:02   #7 (permalink)
FF Moderator

Vic,

Mine has done what you discribed once and only once in the 2500km I've done so far. At time I had no idea what the problem was, but it went away immediately and has not done it since. Ford said that the car will get 'flashed' at the 3k service, which will address this issue. The point is, I have NO spacer so I'm pretty sure it has nothing to do with it.

WASP GT - Mk2 6 speed + Herrod =
CDAA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2004, 06:49   #8 (permalink)
rod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genebaby
I'm sure it's the not the Helix too, but it's the first thing they'll blame. Maybe an ECU flash? Mine is from October and hasn't been done before as far as I know....

I've just remembered I've got after market air in my tyres, I'll have to ask Rod how he gets any warranty work done....ha ha...

greetings All
i dont belive they can void your warranty for having a helix spacer fitted to your car

the only way they can void your warranty is if the part that has been fitted HAS CAUSED the fault

as for warranty if you are worried about it it's simple dont modify it

regards
rod
Old 05-07-2004, 14:10   #9 (permalink)
Abuser of Charvels

Greetings Rodney, I was joking!!!! It's typical of Ford (and most manufacturers I guess) to jump on anything first to avoid helping you out with warranty. "So your stock suspension is falling apart? Is that aftermarket air in your tyres? I'm sorry, you've modified your car far too much, no suspension fix for you"...lol.....

Thanx for the responses guys. I figured it would more than likely not happen again, don't want to take my spacer off for a few years to make sure all is ok!....ha ha...

D.N.A.
FPV XR Owners Club ACT
Charvel/Jackson Guitars
Old 05-07-2004, 19:22   #10 (permalink)
Movin!

I had this problem on my ute when it was about 4 months old, the orange throttle warning light was coming on. The car wasnt behaving any differently, but the light was on. The dealer looked at it and the fault was within the throttle module which inluded the whole pedal unit. It was replaced immediately

Have fitted a helix since then and have been no problems whatsover. One thing that the helix did do, was stop the erratic idle particularly when cold. Gives a good noticeable increase to acceleration at low revs too
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons