Is it time to leave? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2003, 04:59   #1 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

Is it time to leave?

I fear that it may be time for me to sell my falcon.

The falcon has a few things wrong with it that annoy me, so Im going to fix them up and Im seriously considering selling it. It is expensive for me at the moment I get about 85-100 (tops) km from 20$ of petrol. Im babying it so its not my driving style either. Im guessing it is probably the temp sensor or the o2 sensor, but that's not the only reason I want to sell it.

Im considering Nissan 300ZX (z31 84-89)
The '87 model if possible because it came with the updates including LSD but it still has the T3. The 88 and 89 got a T28 Turbo instead (smaller).

Im basically asking for opinions on this car? I know its a step down in appearance, but it should be quicker than my car, and sure as hell would be cheaper to make it faster. It is also Two Door and TARGA!
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Jamie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-25-2003, 05:14   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

One word: insurance.

Also, compared to an E-Series, you can forget about dirt cheap parts etc as well. Having said that, the engineering in a Japanese car is generally much better.

Food for thought.

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 05:24   #3 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

I was looking forward to your reply Jack, I value your opinion highly.

moving on..

I only have Fire and Theft on my falcon, and that's all I'd have on the 300ZX, I don't want full comprehensive, it'd be WAY to expensive. That's why Im not avoiding turbo's when looking at cars like I normally do. Do you think F&T would be much more?

That was one of the draw backs I'd scratched on, the availabilty of falcon's at wreacker, and because they're so common, after market cheapies are often available. Genuine is way to much Ford.

Keep the reply's coming :)
<b><font color="#000080"><font face="Arial" size="2">1992 EB Falcon GL [ </font></font><font face="Arial" size="1" color="#0000FF">Series 1</font><font color="#000080" face="Arial" size="2"> ]</font></b><br><font face="Arial" size="1"><a href="http://discussions.fordforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=37673">4 Speed Auto with Shift Mod</a><br>Interior Neons<br>MPFI Conversion [sn]</font>
Old 05-25-2003, 05:28   #4 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Yeah well I've always wanted a Jap car, and still do. The thing is that while E-Series fuel costs can be annoying, with an import you can be slugged with a bill the price of 3 EAs just like that. There's a thread in another forum about the Mazda 626/Telstar V6, and someone said that a basic engine rebuild is a $4000 job. And that's just a DOHC V6, not a turbo car. I'm not sure how true this is, but I once read that a worst case scenario engine replacement on an '80s Honda Legend V6 costs $14k.

People around here go nuts about having to spend $700 on a head gasket, and it certainly is annoying when you probably wouldn't get the same kind of issue in a Jap car, and any car of this age will have pretty frequent reliability issues. But we could do much worse for ourselves!

I'd look into comparative insurance costs as well, well worth researching. Let us know how you go, it might not be so bad... :s5

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 05-25-2003, 05:39   #5 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

Im hoping to get one for around 4k-5k and sell my car for 3k at the least [hopefully ]. But still, Im just looking at this option.

I think you get the engine rebuild woes with any car. The main concern about 300s are the rusty exhaust bolts on the head, they can snap easily and the rust in the rear tyre well.

Do you have the link to that forum? I goto ProbeTalk lots. The Telstar/626/Probe/MX6 share the same KL-03 Mazda Engine, quite torquey even though it has only 125kw. Just sounds like something I might like to read.
I'd prefer to pay for a new engine than the rebuild. You can get the J-Spec version of that engine (KL-ZE) that has roughly 145kw set up correctly. Although you could potentially need to rebuild that also.
Old 05-25-2003, 05:43   #6 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Here's the link: Telstar TX5/Mazda 626 (same car)

You do get rebuild/replacement issues with any car, but just think about how cheap a 3.9 MPI or 4.0 engine is in comparison!

The only reason I emphasise that point is because you mentioned fuel costs and reliability issues are the reason for sale. A much simpler car - even something like a Corolla Twin Cam - would be a better bet in all honesty.

1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Old 05-25-2003, 05:55   #7 (permalink)
E-Series Club Member

I'll just list the other current pro's in the favour of getting it. I like the sports side of the car.

Two Door Hatch Back.
I was considering a Celica SX (86-89) before this.

Turbo
Turbo's are really good at what they are aimed at doing. If you find a good one, they can be just as reliable as any other car. It is cheaper and easier to make a turbo car go quick (Generlised statement).

Targa
I have always had this thing for targa tops, I prefer these to convertables.

Economy
I think we covered this

So alot of it rests on cheap, quick sports car.

(this comes across as I've already made up my mind, but its far from that really.)
Old 05-25-2003, 06:35   #8 (permalink)
Ford Member

Jamie, I guess you've made up your mind, I'd get rid of that petrol guzzler too. I've got a EB XR8 Falcon thats done 300,000kms, never lets me down, does 200kph standard, motor & heads never been off and gives 560kms [highway] to full tank. I hit a roo doing 140kph, damaged bonnet, LH guard & lights, Parts were easy to find and cheap, cost me $600 in parts and paint. Try doing that with 300ZX FULLY IMPORTED!!!
johnny r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 06:54   #9 (permalink)
Death to Camry's!

If your going the turbo, your economy isnt going to be the best anyway because of the nature of the car. I would really doubt that you would get 3rd party fire and theft on it anyway because their market value would be greater than $5000.

But really at the end of the day, its whatever floats your boat, if you want it, go get it, but if things do blow up, it will cost you alot more than an Aussie car to fix as well as the other reasons said above
MightyEFGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2003, 07:26   #10 (permalink)
Oxford Green AU

You'll find that a 300ZX will drink the juice when thrashed

I know a guy with a 300ZX Z32 Fairlady, Twin Turbo, Targa Top, Aftermarket Comp, etc etc and it's quite nice. I'd love one as a weekender!

The 1985 model is fugly! But the 1989 model is nice, I'm not sure where the shape change takes place though.

You'll probably have trouble finding a decent example of the closer to 89 models for 4-5k.

You could try an EB 6 with Dual Fuel, my AU is good on gas and is cheap to run, it costs me less to drive my car on gas that it does for my mum to drive her Excel on petrol.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons