Today's DRIVE - low-fat ford & 6spd auto confirmed - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2003, 20:38   #1 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Today's DRIVE - low-fat ford & 6spd auto confirmed

Dont expect an all aluminium body for BA2, but we are getting a slimmer falcon. While Richard Parry Jones was here for the AUS GP, he basically confirmed that new materials, stronger yet lighter major body structures will be used to shed weight. No mention of how much but a few quotes from the man himself...

"With the BA, we knew what we had to do to get the job done."

"The initial reaction is the thing seems to have gone very well, and with it, the reputation of Ford Australia is on the up-swing."

"The straight six engine has a lot of character with it's new twin-cam cylinder head, but the car still has some performance and economy issues."

The last paragraph says...

While in Australia, Parry-Jones will test some of Ford's new performance Falcon's. He notes the "performance car culture" here, and says that although the core model of the range must be right to ensure successfull sales, "you have to have the hero car right, too".
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-12-2003, 20:47   #2 (permalink)

Does anyone know when the BA2 is due to be released?
Old 03-12-2003, 20:57   #3 (permalink)
JEM
Future XR Owner

Quote:
Originally posted by BluButterfly17
Does anyone know when the BA2 is due to be released?
I'm sure it will be atleast a year away...
JEM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2003, 22:57   #4 (permalink)
Movin!

While we are all waiting to see the performance times drop after a weight loss on the BAll, i dont think much could be done to the weight apart from swapping materials.

They weigh that much for a reason, they have a 80% stiffer chassis for better handling and safety.
They have more features standard than other cars, making it a better buy.
They have heavier motors, but are more linear and practical in the way they drive.
Frankly those who still bag the weight increase sh$t me to tears..look at the facts dudes at WHY it is heavier.

If the new shape commy in a few yrs doesnt weigh a heap more, it'll get a caning in the safety and handling department. They will be ecven more behind in technologies than they are now. You cant make a car safer without not adding weight.

On the subject of 6-speed auto's, expect the 0-400m & 0-100km/hr time to drop by a heap....
Old 03-13-2003, 00:38   #5 (permalink)
JR
Editor on P Plates

While in Melbourne for the FPV weekend, I took the tour of the Broadmeadows plant with the NSW FPV-Tickford club.

Although much was blocked off to hide the FEU Territory's as they went through the factory, in the body stamping building AusXH and I spotted a few door panels clearly marked with the labels 'composite material test' in amongst the machines as the small train drove us around.

If you get bonnet, boot, doors, front quarters and roof panel all made with lightweight composites, you'd be looking at a fairly sizable potential weight loss.

Cheers
Jason
Editor: Street Fords Magazine - Issue #1 on sale MARCH 2005
E-mail: jr@streetfords.com

Co Founder: 3FB Inc.
To see my old BA Falcon XR6, click HERE
JR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 00:39   #6 (permalink)

can someone give us a link to the article?
Old 03-13-2003, 01:35   #7 (permalink)
Driver of a BA XR8!

Were did this 6 speed auto come into the quote? From what I have heard from my local and trusted transmisson guy is that there will not be a 6 speed. He found out by asking his buddy at BTR. There is quite a possiblity that it would be a 5 speed, not a 6.

Sorry to disapoint sum, but don't forget these are still rumors and we will need to wait to find out. Even if it's not a 6 speed, a 5 speed will do me just fine.

Alex

"Give me any task to do, and I will find something else to do in it's place." Plato - a definition of procrastination
maco65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2003, 11:23   #8 (permalink)
Wildlife Photographer

Perhaps a seven-speed, with F1 gearshifting.
Old 03-13-2003, 15:07   #9 (permalink)
Ford Tickford Experience

http://www.drive.com.au/news/article...XDXCPZ8DD.html

Says six speed in here :) By next model, does it neccesarily mean it will be the BAII? Could be the 2005 model update?
Old 03-13-2003, 17:11   #10 (permalink)
Ford Europe Wannabe

i will bet my left nut that it will be a ZF 6 speed gearbox.

Afterall commodore is set for a 6 speed, and if ford chose a 5 speed (they won't), they would fall behind holden in terms of marketing
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons