Tried a VYII SS Wagon...Oops! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2005, 05:59   #1 (permalink)

Tried a VYII SS Wagon...Oops!

Thought it was time to upgrade from my AUII XR8, and NEEDING more space in the back I tested a VYII SS wagon.

What a first impression disapointment. Slower steering, sluggish bottom end (auto 4sp), and ride/handling made me feel like I was sedated. No kidding, this thing felt lethargic in its ride. Maybe it was because the wagons are LWB, and the IRS is a couple of generations behind the Falcons.

Considering I went there cheque book in pocket, ready to buy, it was a bit of a let down. It was great however to realise I've been driving a fine chassis these last 3 years.
smooth dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2005, 18:48   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tried a VYII SS Wagon...Oops!

good to know u just didnt increase the holden fan population...cheers...good stuff!!!!
mr_xlr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 23:08   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by smooth dave
Considering I went there cheque book in pocket, ready to buy, it was a bit of a let down.
What will you consider now?
Curls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 23:12   #4 (permalink)
www.lukehimself.com

Get a Librety wagon, they're sick
Old 02-14-2005, 23:39   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuKeY
Get a Librety wagon, they're sick

Thats what I'm looking at. The Liberty GT or 3.0R-B.

Only problem is price.

Between 56-58K driveaway. Subaru don't discount like Holden or Ford.

Tony
tonester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2005, 23:58   #6 (permalink)
XR82GO

all gen 3's are lazy down low and feel generally unexciting untill they get the edit done. then the suckers really come to life

sylox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 01:11   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curls
What will you consider now?
rear wagon space is a definite, so I'll look at a 03/04 Explorer V8. Had an Explorer in 1998 and it wasn't bad, just copped some real bad Ford Customer Service which puts me off ever buying a new Ford.

May stretch the budget out to a used Honda MDX or BMW X5, but would prefer to keep that money working.
smooth dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2005, 18:36   #8 (permalink)
Conan

It could have been a dud car. I tested the new ss sedan last week - went like stink in a line, was very quick around the twisties too, but god what a peice of crap overall. It was rough, poor plastics, we put the steering out of alignment after hitting a pot-hole (no kidding), the seating was uncomfortable, and it did not feel like it would last. I turned around and bought an XR6T as the family truckster.
Old 02-15-2005, 18:37   #9 (permalink)
17" is for 4cyc

I am in the same situation when I upgrade next, I'd love the current GT Liberty wagon and I can afford it but they are not big enough when I have my 3 kidz in the car and all their other toys......
Heck I was thinking of the SS wagon but I can't bring myself to go back to the darkside.
I don't want a Terri but I'm thinking G220, now thats big enough I reckon and still having 8 pots.
Old 02-16-2005, 00:19   #10 (permalink)
Ford Member

I would expect the XR8 sedan to handle better than a Holden Wagon. Stock the LS1 needs to rev out a little before hitting it's stride.

On www.ls1.com.au there are many threads on how to improve the performance of the 5.7 (LS1) on varying budgets. If you are still interested in finding out more about the options for a SS Wagon there are many helpful people on this forum.

Unfortunately Ford doesn't have a V8 Falcon Wagon nor independent rear suspension. Still the 6 goes well and with a few mods could probably go allot harder. Probably slightly a little harder than stock 5.4 220Kw Falcon.

Subaru's are very well engineered cars, when it comes to space there is no comparison with the Commodore or Falcon.

If handling and acceleration is a criteria I'm not sure a large 4WD such as the Explorer would be any better than a Commodore or Commodore wagon. The BMW X5 Diesel has had many good reviews but that’s another price range.
Swordie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons