Trip Computer Issues - EL Fairmont - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2005, 12:41   #1 (permalink)

Trip Computer Issues - EL Fairmont

Hey guys, ive had a few weird things pop up on my EL fairmont, the one im trying to solve at the moment is the issue of the trip computer not reading correct. Got a few things it returns which are dodgy;

1. Half a tank of fuel, DTE (distance till empty) or "range" reports it as only having 74km to travel.

2. When checking the current fuel usage (first on the menu) it is very erratic, i know for a fact that off throttle while on the highway (or similar) it used to report around 3-5L per 100km, the problem is now instead of returning to single figures it actually increases as i lift off the throttle. It generally seems to return to around 20L which shouldnt be correct when im not even touching the throttle and it is just coasting along.

The same thing happens when stopped, sometimes it wont even return to zero when stopped at the lights, other times it takes a good 20 seconds of spitting out random numbers before it hits zero. I have taken a fair bit of notice what it used to read (first got the car i was driving around trying to break into the hundreds ), and i know it isnt functioning properly.

I was wondering just how does the trip meter calculate these functions? is the current usage a simple matter of throttle position? (taking a reading from the TPS sensor for example) or is there more to it than that? What about the range? i know it changes depending on current fuel usage (drive hard, it drops, back off, it increases) so does it just calculate how many L in fuel is currently in the tank, then compares it to current usage and spits out the result?

Im just wondering because the more i think about it the more i think i might have a TPS issue, the idle is high (and plain nasty) and it is sluggish to take off. All this dissapears when switched to gas.

Anyone had similar issues? any way to reset the trip computer and start fresh (i assumed you could remove the battery terminal but then i was wondering if it had a battery backup like the odometer).

Thanks for your time :)

Now i have to spend this morning working out what the hell happened last night when, over the duration of about 20 mins, it steadily lost oil pressure until it was just about to hit the red mark when i pulled into my drive (just as i turned it off the light flickered on) :sad: It sounded noisy too when i listened to it in the driveway, i have a feeling it really is a oil pressure issue
Madhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2005, 03:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Trip Computer Issues - EL Fairmont

you mentioned gas?????
I THINK YOU MAY HAVE GASSED YOUR TRIP COMPUTER TO DEATH!

ps. how many kays has it got on it? it sounds as if you have a few issues!?!
CBYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 03:44   #3 (permalink)

Yeah it is dual fuel, when switching to gas the numbers freeze, it doesnt work correctly when running it on petrol, thats the only thing im concerned about.

224,000, im going to do an oil change in the morning (new filter) and see if it brings the pressure back up, currently it starts off fine but towards the end of the trip back home it will eventually drop below the last notch on the gauge.

They are the only real issues, the problem with the AC is a simple fix.
Old 01-07-2005, 04:16   #4 (permalink)

yeh, it sounds as if the oil is a bit thin when it is hot.
those trip computers have often "lost their mind" on every model of since they started in the fairlanes quite a few years ago. i have seen and heard of many with annoying warnings going off or reading stupid figures. good luck.
CBYOOT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 06:31   #5 (permalink)

Hey dude...the trip metre doesn't have a memory like the odometer- disconnect the battery n shes gone back to whatever it starts at. (done several times in mates car)
307Nm@3750rpm (Flywheel)
madmelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2005, 21:46   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBYOOT
yeh, it sounds as if the oil is a bit thin when it is hot.
those trip computers have often "lost their mind" on every model of since they started in the fairlanes quite a few years ago. i have seen and heard of many with annoying warnings going off or reading stupid figures. good luck.
It was working fine before though, so in the 8 years since new it has been fine, just stopped now :/

I cant do my oil change either, some ****ing monkey has done the filter up so tight that it has cross threaded it onto the housing. Ill have to wait till monday to get the socket driven oil filter tool to remove it (no work monday now, no way to get there). I hate it when stupid people mess up simple things.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons