The Truth About Running it In !!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2003, 09:38   #1 (permalink)
is FORD....is GOOD!

Thumbs up The Truth About Running it In !!!

O'kay, I made my way down to FPV today (know a supervisor there).

For anyone with a BOSS engine, if your wondering how to run in your car, Think no more.

I got an XR8 (manual, and loving IT!!!) He tells me let the car get used to its purpose on the road for a few hundred K's, then change the oil filter and oil at around 500k - 1000k and then give it all you want except for going hard off the lights!

Reason being, well all the bits that havent been machined out already will get worn in (pistons bedding, etc etc) , all these scraps will get caught in the oil filter and will be floating around in the oil.

The Boss engines are hand built and indure a thrashing before they are put into a vehicle, however, before they go in they are re-examined..End Result FPV have done all the running in for ya.

For me, i took it easy for 300k's running normal unleaded, keeping it under 2500rpm, slowly pushing it to higher speeds 120, 130 140 etc... Now i have run it in changed the oil and filter and giving it as much as i want except not hard off lights and its going fine, its loosening up, sounding louder and everything is holding well

ENJOY THE BASTARDS, they are awesome just a word of advice, if you dont have traction control on the ass end will want to step out and say 'hello' for 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd gear changes

Absolutely loving it!!

Your comments are welcome this plan works for me

Cheers
ITSOVR - XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-13-2003, 15:18   #2 (permalink)
Fully Sick Magna Driver

Re: The Truth About Running it In !!!

Quote:
Originally posted by ITSOVR - XR8
...give it all you want except for going hard off the lights!

Why cant u give it some at the lights?

-Rob
rob_o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 17:06   #3 (permalink)
Lab Rat

Break in Secrets

Give this link ago www.mototuneusa.com
Yes i no its a motorcycle site but the break in secrets is still a good read.
Old 06-13-2003, 17:39   #4 (permalink)
walking power

Quote:

ENJOY THE BASTARDS, they are awesome just a word of advice, if you dont have traction control on the ass end will want to step out and say 'hello' for 1st - 2nd and 2nd - 3rd gear changes

Cheers
Seems to be a common problem with these XR8's or is the problem with the drivers???
Old 06-13-2003, 18:33   #5 (permalink)
Ford Member

Quote:
O'kay, I made my way down to FPV today (know a supervisor there).

For anyone with a BOSS engine, if your wondering how to run in your car, Think no more.

I got an XR8 (manual, and loving IT!!!) He tells me let the car get used to its purpose on the road for a few hundred K's, then change the oil filter and oil at around 500k - 1000k and then give it all you want except for going hard off the lights!

Reason being, well all the bits that havent been machined out already will get worn in (pistons bedding, etc etc) , all these scraps will get caught in the oil filter and will be floating around in the oil.

The Boss engines are hand built and indure a thrashing before they are put into a vehicle, however, before they go in they are re-examined..End Result FPV have done all the running in for ya.

For me, i took it easy for 300k's running normal unleaded, keeping it under 2500rpm, slowly pushing it to higher speeds 120, 130 140 etc... Now i have run it in changed the oil and filter and giving it as much as i want except not hard off lights and its going fine, its loosening up, sounding louder and everything is holding well

Absolutely loving it!!

Your comments are welcome this plan works for me

Cheers
Why does the owners manual not say this???
I changed the oil in my GT @ 3,000klm's and cut the filter.
Found some metal and a lot of rubbish in the filter.
Do FPV when they run the engines in change the oil & filter??
Why no "hard off the lights" thats what they are made for!!!
I also used 1.5L of oil in 3,000klm's?
GT#58
MARK'S DEE GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 20:42   #6 (permalink)
Veteran Ford Member

I'll do my standard 1500 km oil and filter change and then revert to 7,500 km oil changes.
I've never been a fan of 15,000 km oil changes and I think that 3,000 km for the peace of mind service is too long to wait.

Cheers
Russ
russellw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 21:55   #7 (permalink)
Movin!

Technology has come a long way in this day and age with both oils and motors but 15,000km's still seems a long way inbetween services, in particular oil changes. Seems like the service intervals may seem more of a marketing gimmick

There are that many moving parts doing 1000's of RPM's and a bit more work in the short term makes for a longer lasting car for the long term
Old 06-13-2003, 22:07   #8 (permalink)
is FORD....is GOOD!

Why No hard of the Lights

OKay When the guys at FPV have thense things on engine mounts, they are just reved flat out with no oil, where the piston sits it slides up and down the cylinder which usualy has very small angles in it tapering up, sort of like a triangle

As the piston goes up and down is makes its path pretty much with each motion sheering a bit off, thats why they say vary the speeds, this is due to you maybe sitting on 100kmh and it machining beautiful then it comes to the bit which is untouched and all of a sudden you get alot of bottom end rattle.

You cant go hard of the lights cuase the running gear needs to be run in, Oils in boxes, diffs, shafts etc.. Going too hard off the lights sometimes reduces the life of the LSD as well as puting a haevy amount of stress on the gear box, keep in mind these things dont hold too much Nm so when they are brand new these babies need to be taught how to walk before they sprint

Keep the replies coming if you have any more Quesitons

Cheers
ITSOVR - XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2003, 22:26   #9 (permalink)
rod

greetings all
ITSOVR-XR8
i belive that you are wrong about the way F.P.V. run the engines, they have a small bay were they run upto 3 engines at a time, they do not run water through these engines & are only run for a MAXIMUM of 5 minutes.

if anybody would be kind enough to host some pictures i will send them some pictures of inside F.P.V. for everybody to see, including picture of were the engines are run

russellw
i belive that you have the right formula, drop the oil & filter between 1000Km & 1500Km Then every 7500Kms, thats what i will be doing when my pursuit hits the 1000Km mark & then every 7500Kms there after

regards
rod
Old 06-13-2003, 23:36   #10 (permalink)

Thumbs up running in

as mentioned is the way to run in the motors.
the worst thing you can do is baby it for the first 500-1000 k's under 3500rpm, and then all of a sudden jump on it. the reciprocating masses (and rings,etc.) of the engine need to get used to all revs at all loads. so just play with it. obviously start off easy, at a couple of hundred k's dump the oil. dont go synthetic straight away because you want your rings to fully bed in, and then just vary revs and load continuously. youll feel a change in torque, and a change in economy, as it settles itself in.
theres my 2 cents.
brett
brett_32i is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons