Tuning an ECU of an unmodified XR6T - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2004, 04:12   #1 (permalink)

Tuning an ECU of an unmodified XR6T

Hi Guys,

I have a completely standard XR6T. The fuel economy is 19litres/100km and when I fill up the display says 410km to empty. The car does not have as much get up and go as i would expect. The only thing I have to judge this on is being beaten off the line and to 100km/hr by a V8 VT Commodore on Monday night. The V8 was pulling away from me up until we stopped. (I have read a lot of discussion on the fuel economy issues on this forum, this isn't my motivation for this post).

I have read a number of articles on this forum regarding the engines not being tuned and mostly running rich. I just have a few questions regarding this and they are as follows.

1. Will the engine running rich cause dodgy fuel economy and sluggish acceleration?

2. Is it worth getting a standard xr6t tuned properly?

3. Has anyone done this?

3. Are there people in Sydney that can do this sort of thing that anyone would reccomend?

4. I had a flash upgrade done today during the 15000km service to stop the car stalling (or almost stalling) when you pull up at stop signs etc. Does tuning the ECU erase this upgrade?

5. Will tuning improve the acceleration?

6. Does anyone have an approximate cost?

If anyone has the time to answer I'd love to see what you have to say.

Thanks again,
Steve
dawsonsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2004, 04:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: Tuning an ECU of an unmodified XR6T

The XR6 turbo has to be one of the most supported ford products for after market tuning available. As far as i can tell you'll see massive improvements with as little as $1000 expendature. Your power will jump from around 240fwkw to around 300fwkw, economy (cruising) will be far better, responsiveness will be much improved.
If memory serves me well some xr6t's run around 4psi and some (earlier) 6psi. The xr6t I test drove was a bullet. it was well and truly run in and had around 20,000km on the clock. No v8 commonwhore would have beaten that puppy with out some gen 3 mods backing it up.

Check out the many, many threads in the forum on this vehicle and you'll soon understand why i am one very envious Au v8 owner that is struggling to keep up! You have a great vehicle that can smash most if not all that holden and hsv has to offer if given only the slightest push.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2004, 15:50   #3 (permalink)

I hope it was a VTII with a gen3 5.7L V8 or your car is stuffed.

Anyway good news is for $1500 there are a myriad of tuning options for the ecu which will bring huge gains in performance and reasonable gains in economy.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 20:05   #4 (permalink)

Yeah guys, thanks for the replies.

I was initially looking to get it tuned without getting the chip upgrade and voiding the warranty. Although, now I am sort of waivering toward the Unichip Phase I option.

Does anyone know if there are any good places in Sydney that will tune a standard xr6t, and how many problems do ford give you after this has happened.

Steve
Old 07-04-2004, 20:45   #5 (permalink)
aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonsg
Yeah guys, thanks for the replies.

Does anyone know if there are any good places in Sydney that will tune a standard xr6t, and how many problems do ford give you after this has happened.

Steve
Hi Steve, Have a chat to Spiro at Autotech in Sydney...........he has a lot of tuning experience on late model BA fords.........and his customer service is also excellent......I am told from direct customer feedback.......If you need any other info you are welcome to pm me.

Peter

APS
aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2004, 23:48   #6 (permalink)
Movin!

I guess Peter can elaborate further but you could have the best of both worlds with a tuned Unichip, more power plus better fuel economy as the fuel is leaned off. That is of course, if you can drive around without giving it too much curry with the more power!
Old 07-05-2004, 03:52   #7 (permalink)

Hi Peter and Rodderz,

Thanks very much for the replies.

Steve
Old 07-05-2004, 03:57   #8 (permalink)

IMHO there no such thing as tuning a late model car. it's an out of date term unless used by the likes of Peter where a change in the program is made. Go the unichip and you'll be very very happy.
TKTDSGM Member
AU2XLSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:00   #9 (permalink)
Officially Bored with 347

Unichip Or Nizpro's stg2Cobra kit.. you get a nizpro custom intake manifold & plenum..

Member of the "TKTDSGM " Group..
svo347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2004, 04:19   #10 (permalink)
aps

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawsonsg
Hi Peter and Rodderz,

Thanks very much for the replies.

Steve
No worries let me know if you need any info or assistance on the engine tuning.

Thanks

Peter
aps is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons