The Ultimate Repair, Was it Worth it? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2002, 21:14   #1 (permalink)
Well Paid, Trained Monkey

The Ultimate Repair, Was it Worth it?

Well, I was really starting to get the shits with my EA S Pak (5sp), although the car only cost me $2,000 back in March... I decided to take the car in to K-Mart Tyre & Auto a month ago and get a "Full Service". Although the service costs $169, I knew they'd through in other repairs (ie - discs & pads) so I budgeted an additional $400 for "bullshit repairs". I got hit with a bill for $2,200 including the following:

* Replacement steering rack, pump and bearings
* Replacement tailshaft & universal joints
* Replacement ignition leads
* Replacement starter motor
* Replacement filters
* New tyres
* New pads all round and remachining of all the discs

I complained about the cost and after establishing there wasn't much I could do to get my money back... I moved on. However, the major problems with that car that had inspired me to put it in for service in first place, weren't fixed (the electrics & the transmission).

Anyway... I finally worked out the ultimate solution to fix my problem... I sold the car. I got $1,000 cash for it and I was glad to see the back of it, I didn't even bother haggling.

What I want to know now is, did I do okay on my new car?

Here's what I got for $8950:

EF Fairmont Ghia (10/1994)
V8 Auto
Leather Seats, Sunroof, Full Options, Premium Sound
287,000kms
I've got log book service records every 10,000K's to 160,000kms and some time since then, a new engine has been put in.
The car seems to go well, is immaculate in the body, and the only problems I've found are that one power window motor is a bit weak, and the power antenna no longer goes up or down.

According to the dealer, the car was ex-government from 1994-1998 and then the driver purchsed the car from the government department... so it's kind of like having one owner.

Does this sound decent?
oz_orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-31-2002, 21:22   #2 (permalink)
400 kg ego

Gee sorry to hear you got screwed around with that service. They shouldn't be able to charge you without having told you beforehand?

Looks like the story had a good ending though. That is a very good price for a V8 EF! A replacement power window motor and repairing the aerial shouldn't cost much.

I shall transfer your membership from the EA-ED club to the EF-EL club. :)

1989 Ford Fairmont Ghia turbo/GL replica (underway)
1994 Eunos 800M
1990 Ford Laser S
Troutman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2002, 22:28   #3 (permalink)

Strange that it needed a new engine with only 287k kms on it? Especially since it would have been mostly highway kms?

Id say someone forgot to give the engine an oil change for serious length of time.....
1993 EBII Fairmont (Now wrecking, PM if you want any parts)
1988 Nissan R31 Skyline
Martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 02:15   #4 (permalink)
Australian EB Fairmont Ghia Member

Ummm... the repairer HAS to notify and get permission for repairs. If they didnt, I wouldve driven away leaving them with a cheque for $169.
*Note.. Why did you go to a Kmart Auto centre ??

1993 EBII Fairmont Ghia 5.0L Wagon,
Lowered, Tinted, 17" Speedy Ravens & 2.5" Sports Exhaust.
( 1 of 26 built )

AND

1985 Telstar TX5 Turbo, stock as a rock.
eb_5litre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2002, 13:58   #5 (permalink)
Well Paid, Trained Monkey

I did get a call from the repairer, they told me that the car needed $1,400 in repairs. I gave them the go ahead, and when I picked up the car they told me that the work had involved more effort then they had originally expected. Actually when I went to pick up the car, they couldn't get it started, they had to call out an auto-electrician the next day to get the car started (I never got told what the original problems was). I was going to make a fuss, but I basically needed my car back. I started following the situation up with the ACCC but they just "took a complaint" on my behalf.

Jack - I'll still hang around the club, I still do a ton of work on my girlfriend's EAII GL 5sp.

Does anyone know... I've acertained that the new EF is fitted with the optional LSD offered when the car was for sale, does anyone know what the ratio of this optional diff is?

Thanks,

James
oz_orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2002, 07:13   #6 (permalink)
4WD Jockey

nice!, i absalutely luv EF ghia's with the optioned kit and 16" tickfords.
You got a pic mate?.
I dunno wot ratio the diff would be. it wouldnt be an XR one would it?
LoverBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2002, 06:38   #7 (permalink)

Im facing the same problem at the moment my EA is 100% mech A1 but the electrics are going crazy. However Im not looking for a newer Falcon actually the opposite. I've spied a near 90% restored XT Falcon with a 302 and a C4 tranny in Galagher Gold. I think Im in love once more...... Or that 67' Mustang fastback up the road that just needs a coat of paint and a new tranny......

for a insight into my cars electrical gremlins entitled- Blood on the Saddle-

http://discussions.fordforums.com/sh...threadid=21716

any automotive electricians out there heres your chance to win a nobel prize, solve a EA electrical fault, permanently!!!
The Fonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2002, 02:38   #8 (permalink)
89 DA LTD 3.9MPI

OzOrion

Bummer to hear about your misfortune with the old S-pack. I'm glad I had the opportunity to take it for a spin when you had it.

Your new buy sounds awesome. I can't wait to see it at the next meet. Now I just have to get the LTD re-registered and back on the road so I can actually get to the next meet.

--ath0-- ....gone
Zomwit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons