unichip- has anyone put one in - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2003, 00:51   #1 (permalink)
s l e e p e r

unichip- has anyone put one in

very confused..
read up on the unichip, on this and other forums, and all i hear is two very conflicting points of view. from - yes the best value for money and an excellent product to- don't touch it with a ten foot pole. what i don't hear is many people admitting to having one in their car. i wouldn't mind some feedback from some one who's actually got or had one. And i know the topic has been covered to death, i just want some real life expirience.
I realise that the unichip is only a piggy-back. And that it's not in the same class as products such as haltech or microtech. however so far i think that it seems to be a reasonable product, and seems to suit my needs. I have a v8 eb, mildly worked. the car is a daily driver and it will stay that way, hence real life factors such as fuel economy and driveability are important, however forced induction is on the cards in the not so near future.
my car , even though has had an engine job , is still running the stock ecu, in no way utilising it's potential, hence the necessary change.

so if anyone has one (especially on the 302) any help is appreciated.
ebbeforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2003, 02:00   #2 (permalink)
8 cylinder symphony

zoom did a review of a bunch of aftermarket computers and ranked them all...unichip was one of them...may give you some more info....cant remember the issue....maybe someone else can help with that....
b-juggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 03:30   #3 (permalink)
Falcontastic.

I have a Unichip installed on my 8,now I had it done and tuned to suit other mod's I had aswell,and it works quite well,more power and better economy but I can't tell you how much the Unichip has done by itselfs because all were done at the same time,but I'm smilling and not looking back at having it installed,but the car does seem to shift through the gears a little smoother,and I put down to having better economy by looking at the AFR on the dyno chart and how the unichip re-mapped this,so to speak,in all I would do it again and install one on my next car if available.
Laser a maser.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:22   #4 (permalink)
gone

I have unichips on both my modified eb and xr8!

Unless you running other mods such as cam, heads etc and want the ability to map you rev range to get 100% performance then yes its a waste with a standard mapping only giving you a 7% gain at the end of the day!

and again, in the hands of a professional tuner the gains could be higher
laminge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 04:38   #5 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

Hey, if laminge has one, they must be good, because we all know he's a tight-arse when it comes to spending money on cars! lol.

Haven't got one yet, but will be getting one soon, based on info from this forum as well as other articles etc. Basically, the Unichip seems to be the best of the 'chip' products out there - I have had one of the others and wouldn't go near that company again.

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 20:08   #6 (permalink)
s l e e p e r

i am running a cam, heads other bits, so i am looking for something that is able to map the rev renge, and yes , the product is only as good as the tuner.

so far i've only heard good things about c&v at waterloo. any other suggestions.

thanks a lot for your input. it's making the decision a lot easier- to hear that people are happy with it.

i'll also check out zoom.

i too have heard that some other chip products are basically a no go.

can't wait to get this done.
ebbeforde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2003, 22:14   #7 (permalink)
Nacho Nacho Man!

The chips more often seen as bad are the pre-programmed type chips, which don't take into account your particular engine and can often be more detrimental than benefcial. Those than can be tuned by an operator such as unichip are better but then it's up to the particular tuner to give you good benefits.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons