Unichips - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2003, 05:00   #1 (permalink)

Question Unichips

Can the unichip for an EL be used in a BA ?
myxr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2003, 05:38   #2 (permalink)
XR Driver

do these things actualy work has any 1 tested 0 - 100 times b4 and after the chip

I dont think it would work diff computers
Old 05-18-2003, 15:03   #3 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

The Unichips are reprogramable, it'll work on anything with fuel injection. They do work, but you have to remember, they're only a piggyback computer, they work in conjunction with the factory ECU. They're only limited in what they can do, so don't expect too much out of them, remember the saying - "You only get what you paid for" (and the Unichips are relatively cheap...)
ED195KW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 20:12   #4 (permalink)

It depends on which EL, ie for 6 and 8 the unichip box is different.
elxr8393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2003, 20:25   #5 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

Oh ok. I thought the UNICHIP were universal, they could be programed for any amount of cylinders. I must be wrong.
- GT scoop and wing
- Kenwood mp3 player, Kenwood splits and 6x9s
- Momo woodgrain steering wheel & gearknob
Old 05-19-2003, 01:20   #6 (permalink)
100MPH Hunter

I was under the impression that the EEC V chip will only work on other EEC V cars no matter how many cylinders it has! One of the guys up here in QLD bought a Unichip from an AU1 XR6 for his AU2 XR8.

Corey
TwinPiston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 01:25   #7 (permalink)

Well they sort of can, just that a V8 distributor box will not run a 6 cylinder with coil packs in most cases (eg EL V8 uses a unichip A box, - EL 6 uses a C box). A Ford V8 distributor will run a Ford 6 cylinder wth distributor (eg EL V8 A box - EF 6 uses A box) This is why the XR6 unichip worked on the xr8 - both coil packs. It doesn't apply to all coil packs and all distributors, the jap stuff is different but for the sake of the point here and proper cars (Fords) let me know if my ramblings haven't explained it well enough, regards
elxr8393 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 17:33   #8 (permalink)
pR()rN_*

It can control extra injectors, can put through completely differant maps and control timing in any way you want.
I don't know why people bag them, all the people I've talked to that ACTULLY have them think they're great.
I sure as hell won't be spending $3000 plus on my electrics for my turbo setup.
So considering your the millionth person to say they suck ED195kw what are they limited in EXACTLY?
Old 05-19-2003, 20:39   #9 (permalink)
Bourbon powered V8

He never said they "sucked", just that they are limited in what they can do. Whic is true. But for what they cost, they are reasonable value.

Unichip is the way to go. Do NOT use Powerchip, they are a completely different animal!

AU1 XR8 Auto 147.9 rwkw (approx 215 fwkw)

AU2 Wagon HAD Auto
17s, Pacemakers, 3" Intake & Pod filter (The Family Hack)

Member of:
FPV-XR Club ACT
AUFalcon.com
ATPS (honorary)
JC-XR8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2003, 23:01   #10 (permalink)
EB XR8 Owner

Yes, I never meant they were bad, if fact I actually meant to say they were good. But you have to remember, they are not a stand alone ECU and as such, cannot be expected to perform miracles.

For example,

The factory closed loop circuit on all of the Ford ECUs is not adjustable (the range between 1200rpm and 3000rpm) even with the Unichip installed. Althought the unichip does not affect this range, it still does wonders to the rev range outside of that window. Although this window seems fairly large and right in the middle of the rev range, in reality it isn't really a problem for the average car enthusiast. So even though the unichip does have flaws like these, it also has an attractive price (around $1000 fitted), plus you can remove it and put it in your next EFI car.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons