V8 into 66 XR Ute - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2004, 03:49   #1 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

V8 into 66 XR Ute

Im considering fitting a V8 into the XR ute instead of the forced straight 6. Has anyone done this? Im assuming I will only need to change to the V8 engine mounts as well as the obvious things - springs, disc brakes etc etc

Any info ( and pics ) would be greatly appreciated

Lowered EF Futura
Black Steelies ( too cheap to buy proper mags )
SiX_iN_a_RoW is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2004, 06:02   #2 (permalink)

Re: V8 into 66 XR Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiX_iN_a_RoW
Im considering fitting a V8 into the XR ute instead of the forced straight 6. Has anyone done this? Im assuming I will only need to change to the V8 engine mounts as well as the obvious things - springs, disc brakes etc etc

Any info ( and pics ) would be greatly appreciated
Yep,reasonably simple although you will need and engineers certificate for a floor shift as XR and XT utes only had the column auto or 3 on the tree manual.
You will need a remote booster and balance unit to run the disk brakes and different throttle linkage.
Front disks can be anything up to an XF but you will need to track down 1 1/8 inch rear wheel cylinders to make the back brakes work properly. If you want to fit the XY integrated booster assy you will need to modify the firewall.
The bits and pieces for the brakes can be a little hard to track down as the boosted systems had a different set of brake lines to accomodate the remote booster. you will also need to find / make a mounting bracket for the booster.
Regards,
Tote
Tote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2004, 01:43   #3 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

Thanks for the info man,

I have managed to track down XR fairmont disc brake stub axles, im now searching for some calipers to suit ( ZB/C or XR/T. I may have an XT dual circuit and VH40 lined up also.
which diff would be best suited to this application? Im unsure of the strength of the original Borg Warner

Do you have any pics of your ute, it looks almost the same as mine in that pic!

Lowered EF Futura
Old 07-06-2004, 06:03   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiX_iN_a_RoW
Thanks for the info man,

I have managed to track down XR fairmont disc brake stub axles, im now searching for some calipers to suit ( ZB/C or XR/T. I may have an XT dual circuit and VH40 lined up also.
which diff would be best suited to this application? Im unsure of the strength of the original Borg Warner

Do you have any pics of your ute, it looks almost the same as mine in that pic!
The ute in my avatar met an unfortunate end when we rolled it a couple of years ago after an axle parted company with the diff at 100Km/h. Ive since bought another XT, transferred all the running gear and got it engineered for the floor shift etc. Its currently in the panelbeaters getting sprayed Zircon green. The original ute was Malachite green which is a Holden colour.
My suggestion regarding the stub axles would be to get an entire assembly from an XF and change the outer tie rod ends to suit. It's a simple conversion and you get alloy calipers and ventilated disks. the only gotcha is that you will need big centre wheels on the later disks. If you really want to keep the small centre wheels the stub axles from an xw - early xb will work with XF calipers.
attached are a couple of pix of the ute
P.S.
Re the diff, Im still running the original b/w unit. I ve currently got a 3.55 ratio which is OK with the five speed supra box but I will get a 2.92 or possibly a 3.23 eventually. the green ute had a single rail and a 2.92 and I never managed to break them. The 2.92 eventually got a bit noisy and I replaced it with another 3.55 which was the one that lost the axle. I would recommend replacing your rear bearings with sealed ones and putting a thicker retaining coller on at the same time. Losing a wheel isnt a pleasant experience.
regards,
Tote

Last edited by Tote; 07-06-2004 at 06:11. Reason: last paragraph added
Old 07-07-2004, 09:04   #5 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Apparently (i havent done it yet) it is easy to fit an X or E-Series accelerator pedal and cable setup onto the XR's. Mines using the standard setup and you can feel the motor move through the accelerator pedal.
The clevo is a neat fit, If you want some pics of my engine bay, let me know your email address and i'll arrange some more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010030.JPG (55.8 KB, 48 views)
Old 07-07-2004, 23:00   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 9psi EB
Apparently (i havent done it yet) it is easy to fit an X or E-Series accelerator pedal and cable setup onto the XR's. Mines using the standard setup and you can feel the motor move through the accelerator pedal.
The clevo is a neat fit, If you want some pics of my engine bay, let me know your email address and i'll arrange some more.
NOOOO.... I am in the process of getting all the holes in the inner guard and the firewall welded up from someone who has done this "conversion". Put up with the movement, as long as the fan isnt hitting the bonnet you know you havent broken an engine mount !
Regards,
Tote
Old 07-07-2004, 23:24   #7 (permalink)

If you have the moolah, you can also fit AU kits from Hoppers-Stoppers. Exxy, but they'd pull it up!

http://www.hoppers.com.au/falcon.htm
rick'o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2004, 23:57   #8 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Yeah, i already fixed the engine mount issue, I had to put a bolt throught the mount to stop the motor moving and causing the bug catcher to push the bonnet into the rh guard. (I didnt want to use chain, so bolted the mount instead)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tote
NOOOO.... I am in the process of getting all the holes in the inner guard and the firewall welded up from someone who has done this "conversion". Put up with the movement, as long as the fan isnt hitting the bonnet you know you havent broken an engine mount !
Regards,
Tote
Old 07-08-2004, 02:40   #9 (permalink)
96 EF Futura

hey guys

my email address is kull58@hotmail.com

What brake setup do you have 9PSI?

Lowered EF Futura
Old 07-08-2004, 02:44   #10 (permalink)

9psi,
Thats a preety neat job on the engine bay, how did you do the conversion? Did you put in an aussie firewall?
regds,
tote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons