Vehicle Transfer Query. (kinda long) - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2004, 06:59   #1 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Vehicle Transfer Query. (kinda long)

hey guys, im hopefully about to buy a car but im buying it without a RWC. the guy im buying it of dosent want to leave the plates on because it dosnt have a RWC, but i said if he left them on then i will get the RWC within a week or two. He's main concern is he doesnt want me to drive it while its in his name, so i called up Vic Roads and they said that if i get the transfer papers completed and i paid the transfer fee that the car would be in my name and i would have 2 weeks to get the RWC. he also called up and got a different answer. does anyone know if its possible to do it the way i was told? or has anyone ever done it this way. if i do it the way he wants to and thats hand the plates in then this car is going to cost me a fortune as ill have to get full roadworthy/rego/new plates fees etc, etc. whats your thoughts. thanks.
John_xr6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-02-2004, 07:03   #2 (permalink)
BA Fairmont ZL Fairlane

Re: Vehicle Transfer Query. (kinda long)

AFAIK the only way to transfer the name with the plates still attached is to have a RWC. maybe the guy could hold the plates for you till you get a RWC then show him the certificate and do the name change then with the plates. that way you only have to pay to get the rego transfered.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:06   #3 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davway
AFAIK the only way to transfer the name with the plates still attached is to have a RWC. maybe the guy could hold the plates for you till you get a RWC then show him the certificate and do the name change then with the plates. that way you only have to pay to get the rego transfered.
ok but how do i get it to the place where the roadworthy is carried out if the car has no plates on it?
Old 06-02-2004, 07:07   #4 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

Yeh I am of the same opinion, to change ownership of the vehicle you must present a valid RWC. davway might be onto something with the guy holding the plates til you are ready to do the whole thing.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:08   #5 (permalink)
Yes, fords still kick

I think you can get a permit from vicroads, my dad got one when he was doing up an old sigma for my brother.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:17   #6 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordskick
I think you can get a permit from vicroads, my dad got one when he was doing up an old sigma for my brother.
so what your saying is if he holds the plates and doesnt hand them in and then i get a permit to drive the thing to get the RWC, then once ive got the RWC i take in the transfer papers in and get it signed over? his main concern is that he doesnt want me to drive it because its in his name and in case i have an accident on the way to the RTA he might be liable to any damages because the car is in his name. i thought if the person driving the car is responsible for any damages he/she causes regardless of who's name the car is in and whatever insurance theve got will not be affected because they wernt the driver.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:25   #7 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

This is interesting

My dad actually own's my car, but I am insured as the primary driver of the car, dad is on the policy but is only allowed to drive the car 12 times in one year (don't ask me about that), apart myself, dad and mum, no one else is covered by the insurance.

I don't know if insurance works differently in different states but as far as I know, in tassie, the person driving cops the shit, not the owner, unless the person driving it does a runner or something like that.

4.0i Auto Sedan, Cardinal Red

Mods
2.5' Sports Exhaust, Clear Indicators & Repeaters
15x7 "Titans", Tinted, Boss 14' Steering Wheel
Lowered, Chrome Stripping, Trip Computer
EL Door Handles, All Round Pioneer Sound
Sports Instrument Cluster, Super White Xenon Headlights

Up & Coming
New Front Bar (Wombat Damage)
ED Tickford Spoiler

Glock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2004, 07:40   #8 (permalink)
wants a manual!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glock
I don't know if insurance works differently in different states but as far as I know, in tassie, the person driving cops the shit, not the owner, unless the person driving it does a runner or something like that.
thats what i was thinking, so i cant understand what his problem is with me driving the car while its in his name. if i do get a speeding fine or have an accident i am the one who is liable not the person who the cars name is in. it's actually his wife who is worried because it's in her name but no matter what i tell them that there not responsible they still wont let me take it. most people wouldnt worry to much, i think they have been getting to many opinions from other people.
Old 06-02-2004, 07:51   #9 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

I've had speeding tickets come in dad's name that were mine, you just have to find a justice of the peace, can usually be done at a cop shop to get the fine reissued to the correct person, I've done it twice. The speeding ticket got reissued within about 2 weeks, it was excatly the same instead it had my name it on this time.

In regards to accidents, the cops usually attend and fine the driver at fault, not the car itself. So the accident report will be in your name, cos it's on the spot, you will have to then pay the guy you crashed into and then repair the guy's car your driving, whether you take a hit on your insurance for the whole thing is upto you of course.

I don't see a problem really?

Mods

Up & Coming
ED Tickford Spoiler

Old 06-02-2004, 07:55   #10 (permalink)
Gun-ho Tactics

It's really quite strange, cos I test drove a BA XR6 from my local Ford dealership and part of there insurance clause is that someone from the dealership drive the car around the block with me in once, then I can take it for a test drive without them in it and I'm covered, but when I test drove a Monaro (don't start) from Holden, someone from the dealership had to be with me in the car the whole time?? I don't get it

Insurance is a funny thing :)

Mods

Up & Coming
ED Tickford Spoiler

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons