Ford Forums banner

Very expensive stuff-up!

5K views 32 replies 18 participants last post by  Rollin 
#1 ·
Fun times this week… My previous lease was ending so I had ordered a BA Fairmont V8 (Sports Suspension, 17” wheels, reversing sensors etc.) for my new lease. I needed it on Monday this week (as my rego on the old car finished then) and had to order it 8 or 9 weeks ago to get into the September build.

Anyway, the dealer was to deliver the car and take away the old one, to be sent on to the Fleet Company. The guy turned up, we were having a chat while I had a look around the car – popped the bonnet….. and there’s a 6 under there! If the ground could have opened up and swallowed him, I’m sure he would have been happy.

A couple of interesting phone calls ensued and the guy took the car and retreated to the dealership. It turned out that the stock person had ordered the wrong car from the factory, despite all the paperwork being correct and no-one had checked the order or the car since.

The car’s now a Demo at the dealership, they’ve given me a January-registered Fairmont Ghia V8 as a loan car (and taken away my old one) and a new car is being built on ‘priority order’. They say they can’t give me a delivery date until next Tuesday, but current reckoning is early November, so I’ll have the loan car till then.

What a ballsup!

See less See more
#3 ·
Sorry to hear about that. At least you get the loan car as you should!

I learnt very soon after joining FF that order stuff-ups do and will happen. I checked and double checked all my factory options by calling Ford Customer Care a couple of times with my SIDO just to ensure that everything was right. I didn't want to wait until delivery to find out any rude surprises! Luckily everything was spot on except for all the dealer fit stuff that was overlooked including the pollen filter. If it wasn't for FF I wouldn't even know where or how to look for it.

I wrote a detailed checklist so nothing would be overlooked in the heat of the moment. The dealer even had the nerve to pre-tick all the boxes in the Ford delivery checklist including the one that said "All options fitted as ordered". I made him change it and list the missing items so I was covered. Can't be too careful, I've learnt that if I don't stuff something up myself than I can rely on someone else to stuff it up for me! :bang:

Hope you get the real deal soon.

#6 ·
I'm laughing myself 'WETPANTS' (TM) style! Another one of the lessons AP learns - substitute TQE engine and hope customer doesn't notice!

#8 ·
"Three Quarter Engine"?

(a guess) 6cyl/8cyl = 3/4

#13 ·
I must say, the Dealer had been really helpful throughout the process (even to the point, where, before ordering, I wanted to test a car with and another without the sports suspension to see how much difference it made, and they gave me 2 cars for 24 hours each to try it out). Since the stuff-up, they've been similarly helpful - having a BA Fairmont Ghia V8 loan car at my place with a full tank of fuel within 90 minutes of the problem being found, and offering small freebies in the new car like mats and a rectangular/circle towbar plug converter. It was a huge and expensive stuffup, but I've been impressed with their service before and after the problem occurred.

#14 ·
wrenfrew:
I'm on the floor typing this. I'd have to turn up with an M60 machine gun to get a loan car even when it's been required for FPV stuff ups. You're on a good wicket mate.

#15 ·
wrenfrew said:
I must say, the Dealer had been really helpful throughout the process... ...I've been impressed with their service before and after the problem occurred.
Who? Please tell! I'm sure somebody here might want to order a N/A XR6T or Barra 182 GT. It leaves me to wonder if somebody ended up with a Futura 220...

#17 ·
Madder.... nice one, but I'd suggest the Factory might knock those ones on the head, so better luck next time!

The dealer is Courtney and Patterson in Heidelberg. Note that, as I've said, although I'm very p$%%$d off that it's happened, they've acknowledged the stuff-up and been very quick and proactive in doing what they can to rectify the problem, so I can't complain too much.

#20 ·
Might turn out to be a very effective ad for their customer service.
Everybody makes mistakes, as long as they learn from them and respond in a positive way you can accept the odd blue.

FYI, my loan cars end up being double booked, S/H trade ins, or with a 3 week advance a basic Focus.

In many ways the best dealer story I've heard ever, a big stuff up and great service!

wrenfrew said:
Madder.... nice one, but I'd suggest the Factory might knock those ones on the head, so better luck next time!

The dealer is Courtney and Patterson in Heidelberg. Note that, as I've said, although I'm very p$%%$d off that it's happened, they've acknowledged the stuff-up and been very quick and proactive in doing what they can to rectify the problem, so I can't complain too much.

#21 ·
mmmm Interesting ... but my story is better still.

I ordered an AU II V8 Fairmont Wagon with Tickford suspension, 17" Tickford wheels, Factory Towbar etc, and upon delivery from that place in Kew that doesn't exist anymore it was a 6 - not an 8 very RED faces, and once again it was a dealer ordering error not a Ford Error

but it gets worse ...

Priority Oder for replacement vehicle placed, had to keep driving my previous Fairmont that was to be traded.

Long delays with new car and about 8 weeks later it arrives my Fabo New V8

This time I looked over the the wagon. 6 cyl badge on left front guard, V8 badge on right all else seemed to be in order - go in to sign the papers and the dealer notices the VIN number is wrong, its a 6 cyl - lift bonnet and its an 8

I was told all would be OK and the compliance Plate would be replaced with the correct numbers on it. It has not been to this day .. but it gets worse.

At the 90 K service it is noticed that the Brake booster is wrong - its a 6 cyl, not the bigger 8 - something to do with the diaphram I think. Its still not replaced.

Seems this was a quck 6 to 8 conversion at Factory or dealer, I am still not sure, but my legal people are now advising me ... stay turned

I have to keep it anyway, cant get a BA Fairmont Wagon or a V8 wagon anthing - seems in this day and age of computer manufactiring, they could almost taylor build anything, but they are too buzy - order books filled and todays dealers seem to have taken on a new degree or arrogance. Pity they are selling all they build or things might actually improve , even the build quality too

#23 ·
AP runs off to check under bonnet of Pursuit - maybe that's why it only feels like a 260? (knowing the car went down the line as an XR8 first time around!!!!!)

#25 ·
Aussie Pete said:
AP runs off to check under bonnet of Pursuit - maybe that's why it only feels like a 260? (knowing the car went down the line as an XR8 first time around!!!!!)
hi Pete, its ok all they do is change the badge on the big plastic engine cover some get boss 260 and some get boss 290. ow and you get the FPV badge also,
not bad for a few extra grand....lol.

#26 ·
this is probably off thread but thought I would share it....

In 2000 I brought a VT XU6 with upgraded suspension ($2500 ish from memory)... car arrived I didn't check... until a Bob Jane T-Mart owner laughed at me when I told him about my upgraded suspension. I called the dealer and was told what would Bob Jane know... so I rang HSV and was told my car has stock UX6 suspension... HSV then called GWS on my behalf... the sales manager told me they couldn't do anything about it... perhaps I could come down to spare parts and take a couple of HRT jackets and a stubbie holder.

Sucker or what?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.