Water in Fuel Tank - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-09-2006, 05:56   #1 (permalink)
XR6

confused Water in Fuel Tank

I had a clicking coming from what I though was the heater fan under or near the glovebox. After several visits to the local dealer they advised that the clicking noise was coming from the fuel pump.

They advised to bring the car in for them to replace the fuel pump under warranty.

I dropped the car in yesterday & this is what happened.

The dealer called me in the afternoon to advise that the fuel pump had rusted & the pipes either side of the fuel filter were showing signs of rust. Supposedly from contaminated fuel which therefore does not see this fix covered under the warranty.

To repair the situation correctly they advised that they need to remove the entire fuel system from the injectors back to the fuel pump, check & replace as required.

They advise that the other BA's that they have done cost approx. $1,500 if the injectors can be cleaned.

If the injectors cannot be cleaned and new injectors are required, the cost will be another $1,500 ($3,000 in total for the fix).

My car is a Territory & I am wondering if this is a common problem with BA's or Territories.

How can this happen???

Can water leak into the fuel tank anyway or can the only answer be that I have somehow purchased contaminated fuel with water in it.

The Territory has only done 41,000 Km's & has warranty until January 2008.
XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2006, 06:59   #2 (permalink)

Re: Water in Fuel Tank

Hmm,
very interesting. On these, to my knowledge, the fuel pump is located inside the tank.

The fuel lines are showing signs of rust.....on the outside is very common, but its the internal that matters...

The clicking is from near the glove box. What is the location of the fuel pump relay? probably there, and that is probably the cause of your clicking.

If the car is running fine then why should you spend 3k on the fuel system???

I would STRONGLY suggest a second (independant) assessment, and don't mention your dealerships assessment. Just mention that which originally you complained about.

I have an EB that was running crap..took it to ford, and they said it was ECU..out of warranty....$2.5k. Had a mate look at it....was a dead coil lead. $4.50!!

The second opinion is gold mate.

Cheers
Jas
jas24zzk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 07:40   #3 (permalink)

Definately a secon opinion is the go. Fuel Pump and lines?? I think they're pulling it!
Pump is in the tank.....
Nz Ford Techie
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2006, 06:28   #4 (permalink)

Get a second opinion,I had a similar problem once in an EL, and you could tell the fuel was bad from the moment it went in the tank. Ran like crap with 700k's to get home. Took it to a fuel injection specilist and it only cost a couple of hundred which included removing the injectors and flushing them through ( new o rings etc) as well as flushing tank and lines, new filter the works
75 xb ute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 04:44   #5 (permalink)
XR6

Thanks for all your help. I have taken the car to a friend & believe it or not when we drove it at around 20km's per hour, there was no clicking noise. He did the normal service for me & said why replace something that isn't broken as the car is running perfectly. It has never coughed or spluttered which I would assume to be the case if I had put contaminated fuel in it. Over the past few days I have however noticed the noise again at around 60km's per hour. I dont see how it could be the fuel pump which is located inside the tank. I will next take it to another guy who is an expert in heating & coolling units to see if he can isolate the nosie to the air conditioning fan. I will keep you all updated.
XR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons