Weight reduction in a BA - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2005, 06:27   #1 (permalink)

Weight reduction in a BA

Just wondering if anyone has reduced the weight of their BA, and by how much?

I know the carbon fibre XR8/GT bonnet is available, but I haven't heard anything else besides that.
Falcon-DT is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-20-2005, 14:16   #2 (permalink)

Re: Weight reduction in a BA

don't ask me m8.
Old 03-24-2005, 01:34   #3 (permalink)

WHY WOULD YOU WANT TO? the bonnet is part of the crumple zone. if they were made any lighter they would probably twist or fail under torque or at worse an accident
venomXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 07:00   #4 (permalink)
Aussie Falcon Enthusiast

I do not drive a BA but some straight forward mods you could do would be to switch to lighter seats and wheels. Move the battery to the boot and switch it to an Optima unit Not just weight savings but improved balance there. I saw a carbon fibre boot advertised from the same people who do the bonnets.

More difficult but ultimately more telling would be to switch to an alloy block. Perhaps a modified brake system using the DBA 5000 series lightweight two piece discs and some Wilwood Billet Dynalite calipers? Always nice to reduce unsprung weight. Might also be some advantage to be had switching to a coilover setup although costly for a decent threaded type.
anakha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2005, 20:19   #5 (permalink)

I was thinking about this when i woke up this morning. Could make a light weight BA and call it a Sprint. I'd replace bonnet with carbon fibre type, and any other panel that's available. Replace all wheels with lightweight magnesium alloy variants. remove all sound deadening from the under bonnet and boot areas. remove carpet and underlay from interior and replace with thin rubber. Remove all door trims and replace with the one piece carbon fibre door trims in the V8 supercar burnout cars. All up it could reduce weight by about 100kg's. And the BA Sprint is born.
zc347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 06:10   #6 (permalink)
I love my FORD!

for me... i'd start by going to the gym more often..... i think i'd get more joy from that. lol.
2003 BA FUTURA. Harvest Green, Lowered with Kings springs and Koni shocks, 18" GT-P mag wheels, XR front bar headlights and grill, XR rear spoiler, Fairmont Bootlid trim, XR6T snorkle, Typhoon second CAI, K&N filter, Pacemaker extractors with Herrod cat back, 3.73 LSD & CAPA FLASH with custom tune. ALSO 12" dual voice coil kicker, JL 5x7's and 1800W of amps!
dawal5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 15:19   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by zc347
I was thinking about this when i woke up this morning. Could make a light weight BA and call it a Sprint. I'd replace bonnet with carbon fibre type, and any other panel that's available. Replace all wheels with lightweight magnesium alloy variants. remove all sound deadening from the under bonnet and boot areas. remove carpet and underlay from interior and replace with thin rubber. Remove all door trims and replace with the one piece carbon fibre door trims in the V8 supercar burnout cars. All up it could reduce weight by about 100kg's. And the BA Sprint is born.
It would still be a heavy car, and not suitable for the road.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2005, 18:32   #8 (permalink)
Mad Manz

ROFL weight loss for the ba, why not purchase an excel much cheaper and light!
Old 03-27-2005, 00:59   #9 (permalink)

Stone Brothers have reduced the weight in their cars, try what they've done - not a lot of comforts but seems to go like the clappers!!!!

Otherwise I thought a lot of the weight was from the body that was strengthened so much more than the AU, this also helped the handling, give and take.
sbcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2005, 15:12   #10 (permalink)

You could ditch the Mod motor and put a windsor in. That should save a lot of weight.
xbgs351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons