Weird XD Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-07-2004, 22:54   #1 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99

confused Weird XD Problem

I have a 1979 XD Fairmont Ghia. Recently it overheated and drained the radiator. The oil was not low, the water had been checked the day before, so it is a mystery as to why it did this. We have replaced the thermostat, It has a brand new water pump, and we just got the radiator back from being reconditioned. It's the 6cyl cast iron 4.1L Auto. We have tested the headgasket and it is ok. Also it won't start when it's hot. (if you stop at a petrol station for instance). We replaced the starter motor about 7 weeks ago, and it was fully reconditioned by us. We're stumped. Short of rebuilding the motor, anyone have any ideas what could be wrong with it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2004, 23:11   #2 (permalink)
must stay under 0.25 ppd.

Re: Weird XD Problem

1. Thermo back to front.
2. Radiator core not clear (despite being a recon it can happen)
Air in the system will cause a "freaky" dumping of the coolant but it is usually accompanied by low or poor oil (I know you said your is OK).
Crappy cap can do it too. XD's use expansion tanks and as such push coolant out and in as the temps change. Not having a coolant bottle will cause air in the system within a very short time (in one outing) and this then causes hot spots and total coolant dumping.

If it wont start hot you may have too much initial timing in it (if it kicks against the starter) or it may be too lean. Being lean causes overheating too.
Old 03-08-2004, 01:59   #3 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99

We just changed the cap, and i'll test it out tomorrow, but it shows no obvious signs of anything wrong. Radiator has good flow (tested before it was put in). But it's even confused a qualified mechanic with 30yrs experience!
Thanks for the info!! We'll run through it all.
If this doesn't work i'm increasingly in favour of doing a total rebuild.
I've had the car 4 years and never touched it, so I think it's about time for it.
Old 03-10-2004, 02:41   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by feathers
We just changed the cap, and i'll test it out tomorrow, but it shows no obvious signs of anything wrong. Radiator has good flow (tested before it was put in). But it's even confused a qualified mechanic with 30yrs experience!
Thanks for the info!! We'll run through it all.
If this doesn't work i'm increasingly in favour of doing a total rebuild.
I've had the car 4 years and never touched it, so I think it's about time for it.
Firstly with the coolant loss - have you checked all the welch plugs for pin holes - there is one at the back of the motor / head that's very hard to inspect.
With the problem of the car not starting when hot, does the engine turn over but not fire or do you just get a click when you turn the key?

If it's the click when you turn the key - you can get a relay wired in to your ignition circuit, I'm not sure exactly what it did but I had the same problem with my Alloy headed ESP and that cured it.

Hope it helps

Paul B
XR6WGN
Old 03-11-2004, 20:39   #5 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99

Ok, how annoyed am I. After a month off the road, and a few hundred dollars fixing and replacing various parts, it turns out it was the cap. I still wouldn't trust it on a long run, but it seems to be running cooler now.
I just got the bills for my rego too... Why was it I wanted custom white plates again?
Old 05-27-2004, 05:35   #6 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99

Ok, I know I started this thread a while ago, but the same problem is back again. A few weeks ago I parked the car at work, and as I walked around it, I noticed that there was radiator coolant running out onto the ground. It was a substantial amount, which seemed to be coming out of the overflow. I have seen this several times since, and now as a trial I let the car run with the radiator low, which seems to stop the problem. Obviously I'm not happy with this as a permanent solution, and If the car sits at traffic lights for any length of time the temp gauge goes up dramatically.
As I said in the Initial post, the radiator was reconditioned, the hoses, thermostat, water pump, and oil are all OK. My mechanic swears blind that there is no problem. "It just needs a good run" Yet the water situation, the starter motor being tempremental, and the fact that it generally runs like a dog, lead me to think otherwise.
If said mechanic wasn't my father, he'd be fired....
Old 05-27-2004, 17:14   #7 (permalink)
Hanging Around

Does the top radiator hose feel like its boiling after you fill it up and drive it around till its hot? You may have an air lock in the top of the head, causing it to boil there, and spitting coolant out. If it doesnt have the bleeder screw on the thermo housing just park it on a really steep incline, with the front of the car facing up, and let it run with the cap off for a while, this should let the airlock pass through the top hose.

As far as not starting, does it turn over? XD's had a common problem of batter cables playing up, so you might want to check these (mainly the + one from batt to starter), also you might want to see if there is a relay running the starter, or if its straight from the ignition barrel, Xd/e's usually require a relay to run the starter (another common problem)
Old 05-27-2004, 20:59   #8 (permalink)
XD V8 Owner

Its funny to read this cause I have a similar problem on my XD.

Ive changed the radiator for a reco one, and changed both raditor hoses, I have an overflow connected.

No leaks for a number of weeks since the change over, walk out the other day heres coolant all drive way. Seems to be leaking from the front. cars not my daily driver either.

Will be ripping out the radiator again! to attach a craig davis thermo fan.

Can't keep the thing cool also, have got a high ratio of coolant to water (wasn't pre-mix), im thinking blocked thermostat.

Pics here: http://www.fordgallery.com/showgalle...00/ppuser/7796

Ford Grunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 21:08   #9 (permalink)
Hanging Around

could also be the water pump, sometimes if they stop at a certain position (when they are worn) they will leak, and then they might go alright for a few more weeks then leak again. Check the water pump pulley for any play in the bearings.
Old 05-29-2004, 02:05   #10 (permalink)
Miss Fairmont99

I drive to work in the mornings, park it, and see a lovely trickle running across the carpark. Yet, when I drive home in the afternoon, and park it in the garage. No leak. This is driving me insane.
I'm waiting for the day that it does some serious damage, and I can throw the keys at my mechanic and say "See!!! I told you there was a problem!!!"
Until then I'll keep looking at it and trying different things, but this time, if it stops, he's on his own.
I'm no dumb female when it comes to my cars (I have an identical XD I'm doing up from scratch). I don't mind getting dirty or breaking nails, and I LOVE panelbeating and spraying, but just for the fact that the guys that normally support me in doing these things when everyone else gives me crap for it, are not listening to me when I say that there is something wrong with this car, and for once I'm stumped. Stuff em, they can fix it.
I know two of them are dying to get their hands on it.

Anyway, excuse me now, I'll just step down from here...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons