What am I looking for? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Australian Falcons Discuss the australian born and bred models here. Includes the 80's 90's and present day Falcons offered by Ford Oz.

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2003, 04:16   #1 (permalink)
Vic
Underachiever in training

What am I looking for?

Howdy all,

I am getting keener on upgrading to an EL Fairmont or EL Fairmont Ghia and need to prepare myself for not getting ripped off. The problem is, I am not mechanically minded and have to somehow guard against buying a car that has been in an accident or has a bent chassis as well as knowing that the mechanicals are ok.
I know that I can get someone like the RACV to come out for a price and check the car over but before I do that I would like to find out what things to check for other than the above.

For example, how many kilometers per year are considered average? I hear that 10,000km is average. Is that right? I personally do about 20,000 and so by my reckoning that means that if I get an EL made in 96 then the kilometers would read about 140,00km's.
Should I steer clear of EL's that have over 200,000km's on the clock?

What other processes should I be aware of before hunting down cars?

Any help in preparation would be greatly appreciated!

Vic.
Vic is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2003, 05:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: What am I looking for?

The NRMA or RACV web sites would be a good place to start for information:
http://www.mynrma.com.au/motoring/ca...ar/index.shtml

http://motoring.racv.com.au/racvm/whichcar/index.cfm
Aussie Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 05:03   #3 (permalink)
Ford Appreciation Society

How many EL taxis have you seen? they would have done more than 200,000kms.

If you are worried about accident damage -get a panel beater to check the car out prior to purchase. They are better than RACQ/NRMA at spotting repairs. Look for consistancy in the paint colour (fluro lights good for this), look for service history, and actually see what has been done mechanically. look at tyre wear (especially the spare), and stick your head underneath to see if anything looks out of place. Drive it and see if it pulls to one side on the road. Also low kms car is not always better if it has not been regularly serviced.

Panels on an EB are date stamped (I noticed that on the inside of my guards), not sure about EL's though. Date should be prior to manufactured date of vehicle.
Old 09-22-2003, 13:39   #4 (permalink)

Vic,

Here is a few pages on "Checking out a Used Car" Popular Mechanics site. Read all that and become an expert.

http://popularmechanics.com/automoti...ar/index.phtml

Praise the Lord and pass the whiskey

Last edited by TopGhia; 09-22-2003 at 13:54.
TopGhia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 16:17   #5 (permalink)
Vic

Interesting sites, thank ppl.

I am also currently aware of cars through the Trading Post and am looking through carsales.com.au and am wondering what other sources there are to find cars? The more to look at the better!

Vic.
Old 09-22-2003, 16:57   #6 (permalink)
FPV GT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic
Interesting sites, thank ppl.

I am also currently aware of cars through the Trading Post and am looking through carsales.com.au and am wondering what other sources there are to find cars? The more to look at the better!

Vic.
http://www.carselect.com.au

This is the site most of the Ford Dealers put there cars through. Select Ford -> Less than 120,000 kms -> ANy Model ->VIC Melb -> Any Dealer and there is heaps of Fairmonts and Ghia's

Last edited by DGROMS.com; 09-22-2003 at 16:59.
DGROMS.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2003, 17:28   #7 (permalink)

deffinately aim for under 150,000km's
generally 20,000km's a year is average for a family car like a falcon/fairmont.
1995 EF II Falcon GLi: Heritage Green, 4spd Auto, AUII 17" Rims, Custom BA Front Bar, Lowered, Gas Research LPG, Clear Indicators, JVC MP3 Headunit, Phoenix Gold 6.5" Splits, Coustic 481QE Amp, Clarion 12" sub, Leather Seats, Power Window Conversion, 3.45 LSD, Pacemaker Comp Extractors, 2.5" Exhaust, Mandrel Bent Intake, High Flow Filter, Wade 1004 110 cam.

In Progress: BA XR Side Skirts, BA XR Rear bar, BA Shifter Handle.

Want your EF on effalcon.com? Drop me a PM!
E-Series Club Stickers Here!

E-Series Moderator/Membership Officer/Webmaster/Cruise Official
EFFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2003, 04:36   #8 (permalink)
Vic

Agreed! I have seen a few private seller Fairmonts between 65,000 and 100,000km's so I know that some ppl don't drive as much as I do. Those are the ones I am targeting. I am not impressed by dealers who have Fairmonts over 200,000km's and try to sell them for more than a private seller's with low km's.
Old 09-27-2003, 08:26   #9 (permalink)
Vic

I know that as a member of the RACV that I can get a car inspected for $125 each time. I have also lined up a mechanic and a panel beater if I do not go the RACV inspection route and that the car is within a certain radius from their locations. I cannot always hope to use their services if the potential car is too far away and that leaves me with RACV inspections which could be become quite expensive if I look at more that a few cars.
Are there other ways of getting them inspected considering my lack of mechanical expertise?

Also, I have yet to take an EL for a test drive.
I have always assumed that if I go to a used car yard that I might be able to take a car for a spin if the salesman is convinced that I am a genuine buyer otherwise I suspect he will not allow it, and that if I go to a private seller's home to look at a car, I cannot expect the owner to just let me take it for a drive over to my mechanic and panel beater for an inspection can I?
Is that a fair assessment or am I being too negative in my approach to inspections?
Old 09-27-2003, 17:29   #10 (permalink)

hey

Theres nothing wrong with what your saying ... the people who have nothing to hide will let you do anything. ,,,if they want to sell they will go out of there way. they will want to id recken go with you on such trips....

I want to up date to an EL and the like me self but iam to much of a tight arse ..

My ea wagon is a mighty fine truckser but its the age thing thats a concern...

Iam all ways looking ...
slothman is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Australian Ford's Discussion > Australian Falcons